Conquests in cIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquests in cIV

Okay, we have no idea if the developers of cIV are going to create scenarios (Conquests!) ala C3C for cIV. But if they do, what battles would you like to see?

The Han Dynasty
    Players: The Han, Shu, Wu, Yi, others. Very similiar to the Shogun C3C Conquest, just the Chinese verison. 200 BC to 200 AD

The Peloponnesian War
    The Conflict between Athens and Sparta. Of course the whole host of Greek city states would be included. This one could have a similiar feel to Shogun Conquest of C3C. Time frame 430 BC to 400 BC.

The Rise of the Moors
    Starting with the Moorish invasion of Spain in 711 to 1492 - leading nicely into the Age of Discovery if that was carried over. Spain, Moors, Portugal, Franks.

Normandy Invasion of England
    Set around 1066, the last successful invasion of England. This would be the rise of the Normandy state. Southern English cities would have to be part of the Norman player's victory objectives - or this one could be a real dud.

The Crusades
    I know we kinda have a middle ages conflict in C3C, but there are different varients possible than the scenario presented in C3C. This could be more centered on the Middle East. There were four major Crusades into the Holy Land...the question would be to how accurately follow history regarding additional Western units entering the theatre. 11th to 13th century.

100 Years War
    The French and English at each others throats (again!) during the 14th Century. Gotta have the Holy Roman Empire (always such a cool sounding country's name), the Union of Kalmar (Scandy), Castille (Spain), could be more if you want to include the Italian City states, the Papal states, Ottomans, and eastern europe (Hungary, Poland, Lithuania).

War of the Roses
    House of York goes up against the House of Lancaster. Mid 1400's. Kick Tory butt - if you can!

Simon Bolivar
    Free South America from Spain (really Napoleon's) domination. Set from 1800 to 1830, the players would be the rebel army under Bolivar, Spain, Portugal (Brazil). A culture flipping feature would be a nice touch as the city populations are likely sympathethic to Bolivar, but would not revolt unless somewhat assured of freedom. Perhaps, rebel units occupying surrounding tiles of a city would influence the flip.

Zulu Conflict/Boer War
    Starting in 1830's, the players are Zulu, England, Dutch, Voortrekkers at a minimum. Zulu needs to expand early and quickly defeat the Europeans before a foothold is established on the continent. Ending sometime after 1900 when the Boer War concluded.

The American Civil War
    The players are easy enough, the Union (North), the Confederacy (South), England, France, Indian (feather, not dot). What would be difficult would be expanding this beyond just a wargame simulation. Timeframe? Would have to be 1861-1865 or longer versus starting earlier due to the requirement of having one country (USA) split into two countires (North and South) -- anyone else thinking the civil war feature of Civ2?

If this is possible, it could be great game of diplomacy and negotiation as the deep south attempts to persuade the so called "border states" to joining the Confederacy. Of course, the North would be attempting the woo these very same states. Some varient of "culture flipping" perhaps? Once each state is on a side, war could be declared. Admittedly, this is a fun one to envision, but a tough one to program.

World War 2 - European Theatre
    This would be equal parts sea and land conflict. Only half of the German cities would be visible on the map to simulate 1/2 of Germany's production going to the Western front.

Not sure if it would work well from 1939/40 through 1945 or whether it should start after the fall of France.

World War 2 - Barbarossa
    Same idea as the other WW2 scenario with half the German cities visible to simulate 1/2 of German production going to the Eastern front. Timeframe is easier, 1941 to 1945...or longer.

Korea
    More than just the Korean Conflict in the early 50's. It would start with the partion of Korea post WW2, with locked alliances - N. Korea tied to China and Russia; S. Korea tied to Japan and USA.
    The Han Dynasty
    7.32%
    The Peloponnesian War
    7.93%
    The Rise of the Moors
    6.10%
    Normandy Invasion of England
    7.32%
    The Crusades
    11.59%
    100 Years War
    6.10%
    War of the Roses
    4.88%
    Simon Bolivar
    4.88%
    Zulu Conflict/Boer War
    4.88%
    The American Civil War
    9.76%
    World War 2 - European Theatre
    9.76%
    World War 2 - Barbarossa
    7.32%
    Korea
    4.88%
    The Banana Wars - fighting over the Banana Republic
    7.32%
    Haven't been here for ages....

I voted banana wars, but the peloponnesian war would be nice.

It would be easier if we knew what civs they were going to use though, they will probably base any scenarios off of the civs. But I doubt we'll see that because of the focus and resources they're going to put into the editor as it is. I'm thinking we'll be lucky to get a world map with accurate starting locations.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the less talked about wars. For instance there isn't much to do with the American Revolution, Franco Prussian War, WWI, Russian Revolution, the war with Russia and Japan (forgot the name), I liked the sparta-athens war like I said.

As for the Civil War, I thought that was what Trip was for
    GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Not very popular thems here
      L'Arabe Dément
      l'Arabe Fou

H.P. LOVECRAFT

Comment

Never cared much for scenarios, but something for WW2 would be nice, it's a classic.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I seldom play scenarios, but WW2, the American Civil War and the medieval scenarios you proposed would be nice. But the only scenarios I thought was real interesting in C3C(that I tried, as mentioned scenarios is not my thing), although poorly done, was the Roman ones.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

As many others, scenarios are not my big thing. Often, the general-ness of Civ makes it a bit out of (specific) context. Still, it can be some fun and I guess that some will be included anyway...

I'd really like banana republics. No, seriously
            Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Scenarios rule.

I want the Roman empires, Crusades, Mongols, US civil war, Napoleonic, WW1 Europe, WW2 global, WW3-1979...

In fact, I want all the expansion disk classics from the CIV2 era!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

About the scenario with the Moors:
                Spain was split into Castille and Aragon for some time. So we need one civ more.

Comment

At first I didn't even touch the C3C scenarios. I stayed with my SP and PBEM games. Then Paddy the Scot created a PBEM based on the Napoleonic Conquest -- and I was hooked.

If I had more time, I would get into the scenario/mod creation business -- which require a unique balance of artistic ability, historical knowledge and/or research, a willingness to playtest your work, and a thick skin to accept the feedback from the community.

My hat is off to those Apolyton folks who do this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul Alhazred
                    Not very popular thems here
                    Sorry if the selections seemed both anti-French and anti-arab, that was not my intent, but re-reading the list the selection of conflicts are not very favorable to either party -- well accept the Norman one.

Speaking of which, a conquest called 'The Modern Israeli State" would be a good scenario. Several wars seperated by periods of uneasy peace and undeclared conflict. It would be perfect with locked alliances, hidden nationality units for special operations and terrorism, starting from 1948 to present.

Comment

I think that Civ 4 should focus in Conquests as well they saw it works (very well, now we can play 10 types of civ3 and always having fun), but your sugestions are... quite unimportant and boring. The WW2 is a global conflict, of course should be on a world map (or divided in Pacific, Europe and Africa).
                      My sugestion:
                      Pre-history (not dynos, please)
                      Mesopotamia (only region of Iraq)
                      Ancient Greece
                      Rome
                      Middle Ages
                      Pre-columbian America
                      Eastern World
                      Great Navigations
                      French Revolution and Napoleonic Europe
                      Imperialism
                      World War I
                      World War II
                      It's very like the C3C list, but it's OK.
                      "We, civilizations, now know that we are mortals...", Paul Valéry

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Ass
                        As for the Civil War, I thought that was what Trip was for
                        I'm surprised anyone still remembers that!

It wasn't nearly as good as some of the projects that followed it, but I had fun anyways. Civ IV should have some great modding projects and scenarios developed for it as well.

Comment

I voted for them ALL!!!

I don't play them much, but I want the option to play them.
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Yeah I remember it, It was one of the first major civ3 projects.

off topic but...

It says in your sig firaxis programmer?
                            GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Ass
                              Yeah I remember it, It was one of the first major civ3 projects.
                              It was enjoyable to work on. I spent a couple weeks prior to the 1.29 patch release working on the map and the rules. The minute it was released I was busy planting units. It didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it was my first real project of that magnitude. You live and you learn.

off topic but...

It says in your sig firaxis programmer?
                              Yes?

Comment

Working...
                              X