Preview in UK PCZone Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview in UK PCZone Mag

There's an interesting preview of Civ4 in this month's UK PCZone magazine (the June issue).

There's a tiny interview with Sid, and a few screenshots. It's quite short on details, though.

Looks like they thought that the 550 turns for a Civ3 game was too long, and Civ4 will have more like 400 turns. But there will be three game speeds, "Quick", "Medium" and "Epic". They don't say what these settings do, but I'd guess they would in some way affect the number of turns required to complete the game.

The ETA for the game in the article is "End of 2005" - so that'll be next spring then.

If only it could be next spring

Firaxis has a great experience of putting its products on the shelf on time... At the expense that said products are rushed, and shoddy out of the box (Civ3 was sold with a bug that made planes completely unusable)
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, was it Firaxis who was responsible or was it their publisher? Because I know that their old publisher had this reputation of rushing unfinished products while their new publisher has the opposite reputation.

Also, notice that some interview with some Firaxis guy (Soren? No idea) mentioned that they thought they had pressured for Civ3 and wanted to do Civ4 differently (they were discussing the idea of including good modding for example).
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

they were discussing the idea of including good modding for example
        In the PCZone preview, they said this about modding (and I quote):

"...the new game will be fully modifiable using XML, Python and SDK."

Hmm, an SDK for modding the game, eh? Sounds cool.

Comment

GodSpawn, could you translate this to a non-programmer? Well I do know how to make sounds with QBasic... What's good/bad of SDK?

Comment

SDK stands for Software Development Kit and is a term that has over the years been horribly abused, particularly by the gaming industry, to refer to anything from a simple scenario editor to a full copy of the original source code and a whole suite of tools to modify it. So basically that throw-away comment in one magazine review doesn't really mean anything, at least until we learn more about it

Thanks for the heads-up on the interview though
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

And where are these screenshots then?
              be free

Comment

Yeah! Send 'em over, will ya?

Please?
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  So basically that throw-away comment in one magazine review doesn't really mean anything, at least until we learn more about it
                  Wrong (well, in part). The quote is a confirmation that at least parts of the game will by available for those able to use Python and XML (i.e. highly moddable). Only the "SDK" part seems to be throw-away, although I imagine some kind of scenario editor will be included.
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Oops missed this - there is a bit more detail which I put in a new post
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      (Civ3 was sold with a bug that made planes completely unusable)
                      I always wondered where they dug up their so called playtesters.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Not quite

Someone had turned off the intercept ability for some reason, and forgot to turn it back on before release. Fixed in first patch.
                        "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          At the expense that said products are rushed, and shoddy out of the box (Civ3 was sold with a bug that made planes completely unusable)
                          I was not a bug, it was a feature.

Comment

Did they mention whether or not it would suck as bad as Civ3?
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Did they mention whether or not it would suck as bad as Civ3?
                              An unofficial letter from Sid Meier revealed it is not likely Civ4 will suck (from the words of the fans) as bad as Civ3. Sid Meier further mentioned there was consideration naming Civ4 instead - The Real Civilization 3 - but later decided against the idea for marketing purposes and infringment rights against Atari.
                              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Working...
                              X