Cultural Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural Icons

Excuse me as I am confident this idea has probably already been mentioned in the list, but I wanted to garnish discussion on the idea.

There are already military leaders and scientific icons, among religious profits to be introduced in Civ4, so why not including cultural icons too?

A cultural icon would help add a much needed bonus to being a peaceful, culturally intensive nation. The appearance of a cultural icon could be smiliar to that of a scientific icon; if a city reaches, say, 1000 cultural points and/or an above level (10,000?) it has a 1-2% chance of spawning a cultural leader. If Athens reached 1000 cultural points Plato or Aristotle might be spawned or if Berlin reached 10,000 cultural points Beethoven might be spawned. It is rather self explanitory from that perspective.

The bonus of a cultural icon would be almost exactly the same again as a scientific icon. A scientific icon could rush any building, just as a cultural icon can. The cultural icon would instead, obviously, of being able to help rush a technology the cultural icon could possibly rush any city to 1000 cultural points administering the idea that the person/icon flourished culture within a Civ.

It was a nice step forward in Conquests for scientific leaders to be recognized but in Civ4 one more step needs to be taken into recognizing cultural leaders.

For listing purposes we could list some of the cultural leaders each Civ could have. Basically this is where history buffs can show-off by naming key figures in culture for the Persians, Aztecs, Celts, or any generally obscure knowledge of a Civ.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Well, I probably can't come up with any truly obscure ones, and the first ones I can think of may be too recent to put in the game. I guess anything before 1800 wouldn't be too recent though. And it'll be fun to add my own in the editor for my own purposes.

Comment

The Ninja Turtles are the first that come to my mind.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

PDQ Bach..

Comment

King Arthur and/or Merlin for the English and Celts.

Gandhi for the Indians.

Jesus for the Romans.

Any number of composers and painters for the european countries.

An equaly large number of heroes and figures from classical mythology for Greece, Egypt, and co.

Andy Warhol for a contemporary american icon.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Don't you dare call Jesus a Roman!! Maybe Josephus...

Oh, and all sorts of Great Leaders should add numbers after the names when they repeat. Maybe even have only one name per category per civ, and just add numbers?

England: Shakespeare.

Egypt: Joseph?

Hebrews: Abraham, Moses, Isaiah

France: Joan

Germany: Martin Luther

Russia: Tolstoy

USA: Ann Lee, William Penn, Jules Verne

Spain: Cervantes, Columbus

Scandinavia: Hans Christian Andersen

Arabs: Mohammed

Cherokee: Sequoyah

Could be interesting if there's much splitting of civs, so new civs could have a new available great leader of each type.

Comment

Some of the names mentioned would probably be apart of the religious icons rather than cultural.

I was thinking mostly along the lines of the Shakespeare mentioning.

Homer for the Greeks; "The Ninja Turtles" for the Romans; "Scandinavia: Hans Christian Andersen" would probably be more fitting for the Dutch if they're included; Descartes for the French; Hume for the English; Walt Whitman for the Americans; possibly Sun-Tzu for China; and there are many other choices. I'd like to see from someone come up with the more obscure names for the lesser known Civs.

Andy Warhol for a contemporary american icon.
              I do not see that occurring... The Beatles, collectively, would probably be the best modern day choice, IMO.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                King Arthur and/or Merlin for the English and Celts.

You gots to be kiddin' .
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins

..."The Ninja Turtles" for the Romans;
                  uhuh

"Scandinavia: Hans Christian Andersen" would probably be more fitting for the Dutch if they're included;
                  Not Denmark and the Danish then?
                  The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                  And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                  But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                  Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar

Just noticed that too.

Could have had Vermeer or Rembrandt, Jan Steen, Pieter de Hooch, Meindert Hobbema, Golden Earring, Elly Ameling, Mathilde Santing.... or Multatuli.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
                      Firaxis better include the Vikings again, rather than that utter rubbish that a Scandinavian civ is...
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

Firaxis better include the Vikings again, rather than that utter rubbish that a Scandinavian civ is...

Ragnar Hairy Breeks ?

Comment

For cultural icons, I guess a Viking civ should have Snorre. All right, he wasn't a Viking or living in the age of Vikings, but he is THE most important person regarding that age, because of his books about the kings, gods and history of the Viking age, also giving away some cultural information on the way.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Would it even be possible to include Cultural Icons for more than a few civs? Sounds like something that should be turnoffable for people who have obscure tastes of which civs they want to add.

Funny how the Scandinavians want to be Vikings in the game while the rest of us think we're trying to be more correct.

Comment

Correct? You got to be kidding me...

Comment

Working...
                              X