Re-writing history: The promise since Civ1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Sinister
    @Proteus: Really, they had? I had Civ1, but can't remember.
    Never seen that feature either.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Sinister
      @Proteus: Really, they had? I had Civ1, but can't remember.
      Yep,
      you could choose to save the Replay.txt at the end of the game,
      it contained a rough sketch of all continents and cities (as rough as you can do it in a textfile)
      and entries for the years where your civilization discovered new technologies, made war and peace and also for times when cities where destroyed.

See also here
      (in an online-version of the original manual: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ1_man.htm )
      (search for replay.txt)

I was very sad that it wasn´t included in Civ 2 anymore and, although I found Civ 2 to be the better game,
      still played Civ 1 for some time because of this feature
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

And I never saw that feature in all the years... now I have to dig out my Civ1 to test it :-)

Comment

Civ I had such a feature, but I never used it, so I'm not sure what it did exactly. It was still nice to see a replay of the game.

But what I'd _really_ like to see is a dedicated scrapbook, for all intents and purposes. An ability to save screenshots, write captions and text, as well as import any graphs and statistics that you deem desirable.

Think of how that would change the stories forum...
          "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

And now that I think about it, some Simcity style overlays could be cool, though obviously difficult or impossible to implement at this stage I'm sure...
            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

I remember doing a small programme that took the data from the .txt file and attempted to draw the world map from it. The data was too scarce though, just dots.

Comment

Working...
              X