Re-writing history: The promise since Civ1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-writing history: The promise since Civ1

How about a "History book" feature that allows a player to "scrapbook" screenshots, enter text, make statistical notes, graphs, and charts, etc.

This textbook could be an xml file, which obviously opens up possibilities.

How cool would it be to re-read the history book of your first Civ game? Death tolls on a per-battle basis, the growth of literacy, the fall of those backstabbing SOB Russians... the American-Chinese nuclear war...
    "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

I think it's a splendid idea. I really like graphs
    Could it be kind of what's in EU2?
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

How did they solve it in EU2?

Comment

I came up with this idea a year or two ago, so naturally I support it

Ok, my idea is a little different with the fact that it's the computer that writes the story. For the computer to write the story of course there has to be lots of options for it to be varied, but it would still be easy to make it write like this: (days and months are just random dates the computer insert to make it more like a history book)

February 6 1904: The backstabbing Indians broke our peace treaty by attacking our glorious fleet
        June 21 1904: Our allies the Zulus joined the war on our side
        July 4 1910: We sent out the first nuclear bomb on Earth. Indian capital destroyed
        May 21 1911: Our army conquers the last Indian city on this continent (landmarks should be named to make it easy to read the history book). India surrender
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Sinister
          How did they solve it in EU2?
          There is a ledger which gives most info you want about the state of the game.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

This is a very cool idea. Adagio's suggestion could work well since the computer keeps track of all that stuff anyway, except we only get to see it on the little VCR summary at the end of the game.

I would like to have a log book to refer back to or even just a text note book to make some strategy notes.

Maybe I can have a recordkeeper as a 7th adviser, or maybe the cultural adviser could do it. You know that guy has some spare time.
            Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
            The continuing saga of The Five Nations
            A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Originally posted by 1889
              This is a very cool idea. Adagio's suggestion could work well since the computer keeps track of all that stuff anyway, except we only get to see it on the little VCR summary at the end of the game.
              I was thinking about making it possible to see it while playing the game, not just after

There could be two versions of it:

1)
              The one you can see while playing the game. This one is nation specific so you can only read what your nation knows at the time of the events. This 'book' goes into detail about your nation, like when did your nation connect the first two cities with a railroad

2)
              A world history book that tells all the greatest things happening on Earth. It doesn't tell about minor nation acomplishments as the above, but only about events that changed the world (like when the first nation to connect two cities with a railroad). Minor wars with only few casualities probably wont be recorded
              This 'book' comes after the end of the game (and is save-able)

Comment

Actually, now a days a history book for a western country is more likely to read:

Feburary 6 1904 The Brave Indian freedom fighters attacked our fleet full of greedy sailors. We deserved it because our govtment refused to meet the Indians modest demands.

June 21 1904 The Zulu govt is bribed into joining the war on the brave Indians.

July 4 1910 Our govt violates international law by dropping a nuclear bomb on the Indian capital and killing millions of inconent civilian Indians, including thousands of children.

May 21 1911 Hostilities cease with the Indians, but our govt in violation of international law continues the occupation of all Indian lands on the ____ contientant.

Originally posted by Adagio
                I came up with this idea a year or two ago, so naturally I support it

Ok, my idea is a little different with the fact that it's the computer that writes the story. For the computer to write the story of course there has to be lots of options for it to be varied, but it would still be easy to make it write like this: (days and months are just random dates the computer insert to make it more like a history book)

February 6 1904: The backstabbing Indians broke our peace treaty by attacking our glorious fleet
                June 21 1904: Our allies the Zulus joined the war on our side
                July 4 1910: We sent out the first nuclear bomb on Earth. Indian capital destroyed
                May 21 1911: Our army conquers the last Indian city on this continent (landmarks should be named to make it easy to read the history book). India surrender
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                  Feburary 6 1904 The Brave Indian freedom fighters attacked our fleet full of greedy sailors. We deserved it because our govtment refused to meet the Indians modest demands.
                  (...)
                  That would probably be the way it's written in the Indian history book... but it's still much better than what I wrote

Comment

One would normally think so, but a lot of the more recent US history books are written by ivory tower professors with an anti-US view.

Originally posted by Adagio

That would probably be the way it's written in the Indian history book... but it's still much better than what I wrote
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

But who says the country I was talking about was the US? It could be that this history book belongs to a nation that only has done good (everybody's happy etc) so I doubt a history book written in that nation would be negative towards it's own country...
                      And this is a history book written by the government, which of course only wants it to look like they're right

Comment

One would normally think so, but a lot of the more recent US history books are written by ivory tower professors with an anti-US view.
                        Oh, so are you an expert?

Comment

AFAIR Civ 1 had the option to export the worlds History into a text file at the end of the game. I really liked this feature.

It would be a great idea to be able to write your own log, with entries for every turn (and of course with automated entries like cities built and inventions made).
                          In some games of CtP/Civ I even tried to make one on paper
                          (but it got too strenuous after a while)
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Genius! Give the man a cookie.
                            "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                            "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                            "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

@Proteus: Really, they had? I had Civ1, but can't remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X