Take-Two gets Civ rights, Civ4 for late 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Locutus
    Yes, because publisher being the developer worked so well for the CtP series And the GTA games are so poor and unfinished

I dunno, but maybe you should buy a few games from a publisher before you judge them?

Plus, they couldn't possibly do much worse than Atari
    CtP is one case, and Activision there was not hugely interested in CtP, AND Activision wasn't that much used to developing. The GTA games are good, yes, gotta give the credit for that. I'm still sceptical, though, just beause publishers pushing developers happens too often.

But indeed, they can't be worse than Atari .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Us hardcore fans already sort of knew this for a while, but good to see it's official now...

No more Atari!

What, driving around the capital city stealing people's chariots and running over and shooting random spearmen passing by?
      we do live in strange time indeed
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        CtP is one case, and Activision there was not hugely interested in CtP
        They were interested enough to acquire the rights in a shady matter and fight a huge legal battle with MicroProse (or whatever they were called at that time) over it. They may have had some less than honourable motives for CtP2, but they were more than psyched for CtP1.

AND Activision wasn't that much used to developing.
        Battlezone, Heavy Gear, Interstate, Mech Warrior, Star Trek:Armada, Dark Reign, Shanghai. Zork. Ringing any bells? And those are just the most famous games they developed after 1997. Want me to list the 50-100 titles they developed between 1980 and 1997?
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Infogames sued their fans? Care to elaborate?
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I believe that is in reference to the German translation attempt for Civ3?
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35672 for example ... linked to:
              janolder writes "According to multiple articles on heise online (German only), the leader of an effort to localize Civilization III for Germany, Kai Fiebach, has been slapped with a cease and desist letter, including $500 lawyer bill from Infogrames Germany. A grassroots effort to help Kai and tell ...

article describing it. Sort of the opposite side as Activision ... *sigh*
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, at least it wasn't EA; if that happened we'd have EA GAMES PRESENTS sid meier's civilization iv PRESENTED BY EA GAMES and the soundtrack would consist of nothing but rap music.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

Sorry, I meant Infogrames. I have a tendency to mix those two for some reason... None of them are any good though.
                  Well they reside in the opposite sides of Atlantic ocean. Activision is a US company where Infogrames is a French one.

That's a good tip to remember who is who

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Infogrames is still the concern behind the Atari publisher. It has been taking over companies and titles for some time.
                    Here's the official history of both Atari and Infograme in sort

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

It worked fine with Paradox. Their first game with themselves as publisher(main one that is) is HoI2 and it has been their most polished and finished game so far, by far.
                      It also worked with Blizzard, Funcom and others.

Comment

In other words: games that are self-published can be both good and bad. And games that are not self-published can also be both good and bad. Conclusion: self-publishing is not by definition better or worse than having someone else publish your game.
                        There is a tendency however that developers that publish their titles on their own to release more stable and better balanced games than publishers that develop some games on their own as well.

I would agree though that there are exceptions in both sides.

Note that this does not has to do with good or bad games necessarily but with more refined games

Comment

Well, that tells some things, but there is still gaps in what Hasbro Interactive did.
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Uh, Franchise is misspelled in the news item.

Comment

Big problem...
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Damn, these corporate shenannigans make my head spin...
                                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                                X