Take-Two gets Civ rights, Civ4 for late 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take-Two gets Civ rights, Civ4 for late 2005

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Announces Acquisition of Civilization Franchise and Long-Term Partnership with FIRAXIS Games

Wednesday January 26, 7:55 am ET
    Sid Meier's Civilization Makes its Triumphant Return to PC in 2005!

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 26, 2005--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO - News), today announced that it has purchased certain rights to the multi-million unit selling Civilization franchise, and has signed a long-term, multi-title publishing agreement with FIRAXIS Games®, developers of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, SimGolf, Gettysburg, Civilization III, Pirates! and other critically acclaimed simulation and strategy games. Kicking off this new partnership will be the highly anticipated Sid Meier's Civilization IV for PC, which will be published by Take-Two's publishing label 2K Games in late 2005, with future expansions and additional PC and console games to follow.

"The Civilization name brings with it an expectation of quality from millions of fans around the world," said Susan Lewis, Vice President of Publishing for 2K Games. "It is a pleasure to be working with a company like FIRAXIS that has developers who have proven with every successive title that they are masters of this genre."

"We are extremely pleased to be partnering with 2K Games on a new journey into the evolving world of Civilization," said Jeff Briggs, Founder, President and CEO of FIRAXIS Games. "2K Games' emergence as a publisher dedicated to producing high-quality, genre-defining games ensures that Civilization IV and FIRAXIS titles will continue to push the creative envelope and reach bigger audiences than ever before."

"In Civilization, we've created a world with endless possibilities that has been embraced by game players all over the globe," said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at FIRAXIS Games. "With the upcoming addition of Civilization IV, our core fans and newcomers alike will enter a world of unparalleled scope and detail."

The fourth game in the PC strategy series that has sold over five million copies, Sid Meier's Civilization IV is a bold step forward for the franchise, with spectacular new 3D graphics and all-new single and multiplayer content. Civilization IV will also set a new standard for user-modification, allowing gamers to create their own add-ons using the standard Python and XML scripting languages.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV will be released for PC in late 2005. For more information please visit www.firaxis.com or write kgilmore@firaxis.com.
    Last edited by MarkG; January 26, 2005, 11:29.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Darn, you beat me to it.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Comment

But I was the first.

Comment

Beat me by half an hour... I guess this is good news? I do not know anything about Take-Two, is it something I should know before I celebrate?
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

i hope civ4 doesnt have the... style of the gta games

Comment

That's them? Isn't that RockStar or something?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

There's a link to GTA: San Andreas on the main page, so it would appear they had something to do with it

Comment

Us hardcore fans already sort of knew this for a while, but good to see it's official now...

No more Atari!

Originally posted by MarkG
                  i hope civ4 doesnt have the... style of the gta games
                  What, driving around the capital city stealing people's chariots and running over and shooting random spearmen passing by?
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

From Take 2 website:

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a leading worldwide publisher, developer and distributor of interactive entertainment software, hardware and accessories.

Take-Two's product offerings include titles for the leading hardware platforms - the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft™, the PlayStation® game console, Nintendo GameCube™ and Nintendo Game Boy Advance, as well as for PCs. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels: Rockstar Games and Global Star Software; and distributes products in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two also manufactures and markets video game and electronic peripherals and accessories in Europe, North America and the Asia Pacific region through its Joytech subsidiary.

The Company’s proprietary brand franchises include Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, Midnight Club, Manhunt, Smuggler’s Run, Red Dead Revolver, Oni, Spec Ops, Railroad Tycoon and Tropico. Licensed brands include Mafia, Conflict: Desert Storm, Stronghold and Hidden & Dangerous.
                    This is their site, if someone wants to know a bit more about Civ's new home:

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

They have GTA and now they have Civ. Well, at least they have money to fund Civ properly.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                        They have GTA and now they have Civ. Well, at least they have money to fund Civ properly.
                        That's the most positive point as far as i can tell.
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                          Us hardcore fans already sort of knew this for a while, but good to see it's official now...

No more Atari!
                          What was so bad with Atari?
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

It's old name was Activision...

Comment

"push the creative envelope"? meaning what? might not be good.

"unparalleled scope and detail" could and should be very good.

Civ had better remain good for you.

Railroad Tycoon sounds like an OK thing to be associated with. I've had some curiousity about it, but haven't played it.

Even if Atari wasn't the original Atari, I still liked the name being associated with Civ.

Comment

Working...
                              X