Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, from what I heard subscribers to PC Gamer have received the January issue already, it probably came from one of them.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
      wait a few days for pc gamer to come out

i guess some marketing guys thought it was time to start the hype machine early
      Time for an chat maybe ?

I don't quite see why Firaxis would let such early screen shots be published. Seems to me it is just a surefire way to get people *****ing and moaning about something despite it not being remotely done.

Free publicity? More traffic in this forum over two times nothings than in the previous 3 months combined.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Anyone who knows even a little info about games development will understand
        that screen shots at this stage are bound to be mock-ups and placeholders.

The final future product will be unrecognisable from the screenies seen now.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• But I like mock-ups (I've done some myself)... I like to see how something transforms from early beta to final
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Why release mockups?
            be free

Comment

• After reading through the thread - I think the simple solution would be to emulate the CIV2 model,
              address the shortcomings, beef up the visuals and add any useful game features.

Hey, presto!
              Instant killer game - CIV franchise takes over world!

(again)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
                Why release mockups?
                Animated 3D type units take mucho time to make -

In the games industry, the graphics are usually made right up till the final minute!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py
                  Why release mockups?
                  Answer:

Originally posted by Alva
                  Free publicity? More traffic in this forum over two times nothings than in the previous 3 months combined.

It doesn't matter that the images are gone. They've seen the reaction and gotten everything they wanted.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• How much does that to have with the announce that the Civ franchise has been sold? Kind of a message to whoever holds the rights?
                    Anyway, nice of Soren to have precised something about the unfun elements and health. I think he's only being sensible in not disclosing information which is probably subject to change as the design will surely evolve as much as the graphics will till the game is released. I just hope they'll release a civ IV which doesn't require addons to be able to mod/play mods. They're still using python for the ai?
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                      I don't quite see why Firaxis would let such early screen shots be published. Seems to me it is just a surefire way to get people *****ing and moaning about something despite it not being remotely done.

I was actually driving at that with my post, but you snipped the 2nd paragraph.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Or maybe it's a subtle trick! By releasing them, it makes everyone think the graphics will suck, so when the game comes out and they don't suck, people will be more impressed. AHA!

That's the same as what I said?

Your's (sarcasticly) about lowering expectations, not free pub.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• I think it's PC Games that wanted the pictures pulled.

Also the photos that were here were scanned in instead of digitally copied, and so may have been much lower quality than the game's graphics which would be something that Firaxis wouldn't want either.

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Or maybe it's a subtle trick! By releasing them, it makes everyone think the graphics will suck, so when the game comes out and they don't suck, people will be more impressed. AHA!
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                            Expect a very PC/marketing answer. ( which I would do too).

I want to have a non-marketing one from Soren .
                            I'll give you Soren's answer:

"Sid is very involved with the game."
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Hey, where can I see these screenshot? AFAIK, I'd have to travel some 700KM to buy the mag...
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Until it's for sale, nowhere.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X