Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atari has sold the rights to the Civilization franchise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's definitely news to me, and I'm pretty well on top of things...

Comment

I've still not seen any confirmation, nor any denial from any part. At least I didn't buy it
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I would be surprised Firaxis would have enough money to buy it. Especially if Atari are doing this to liquidise the asset.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Just read the news myself. Who ever bought the rights can still keep Firaxis developing the game, they would be their boss now, then again maybe not.

No one knows for shure unless they can post a link to it so who ever says they know don't. POST A LINK IF YOU DO KNOW!

Time will tell and we will all have to wait.

Comment

Some info in this link makes me wonder if the release date for cIV will be at or close to October 2005. The writer indicates that Atari retains the rights to sell old Civ titles until that date; it makes sense to allow the resale of CivIII and others up until the date of the cIV release...

edit: Homelan Fed seems to actually have interviewed Atari, who is being fairly secretive about this whole thing. I wonder if the purchaser is someone interested in staying out of the news - even Sid Meier ???
            Last edited by snoopy369; November 27, 2004, 13:57.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And this link, if by a real person at Firaxis (Perhaps someone can comment on a person named Dan existing @ Firaxis?) is at least somewhat reassuring I'd assume they wouldn't stop the presses just because of a sale, but I would worry about the possibility of a significant change. Sounds like not.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If that was authentic, my guess is it was Dan Magaha. There's also another Dan at Firaxis.

Comment

Yes, it was Dan Magaha. He's the associate producer for Pirates, currently working on the XBox version. The other Firaxian Dan is Dan Garry, the MP programmer for Civ 4.

Comment

Interrsting, I wonder why the buyer wants to remain anonymous........

Trip any legal insight you can give us on that????
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

No comment.

Actually, I don't know why the party would want to keep its identity secret. Information on the issue may be released Monday, but we'll see.

Comment

Dam,

I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to "share".
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I've heard that Osama Bin Laden bought the rights to the Civilization name. He intends to create a new Civ meant to be played only at the "Osama" difficulty level, where the Taleban civ starts with 300 suicide mujaheddins and wreaks havoc on the other Western civs. The game will be called "Civilization: I Don't Think So".
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

See Legion II of Slitherine E

He really looks as Civ
                            L'Arabe Dément
                            l'Arabe Fou

H.P. LOVECRAFT

Comment

I've heard that Osama Bin Laden bought the rights to the Civilization name. He intends to create a new Civ meant to be played only at the "Osama" difficulty level, where the Taleban civ starts with 300 suicide mujaheddins and wreaks havoc on the other Western civs. The game will be called "Civilization: I Don't Think So".

Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul Alhazred
                                See Legion II of Slitherine E

He really looks as Civ
                                Legion 1 got trashed, but who knows.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X