Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What aspect of Civ should Firaxis most improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drachasor
    I don't know why it hasn't been implemented
    Precisely. You readily admit to little programming knowledge, yet continue to insist that everything you propose should be 'easy to fix'. I just can't fathom how you consider yourself superior to the dev. teams that create these massive computer games.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000

Precisely. You readily admit to little programming knowledge, yet continue to insist that everything you propose should be 'easy to fix'. I just can't fathom how you consider yourself superior to the dev. teams that create these massive computer games.
      Are you going to read my whole post or not? I proposed the reason is that it is easier on the Devs to not bother, since less work gets the job done. As someone said, against lesser players, who do not make decent defenses, such tactics can work, but experience players know better. Perhaps reasoning that massive AI cheats and many inexperienced players would satisfy the desire for AI (and later multiplayer), they didn't put forth as much effort as they could have.

And I know enough about programming to know that it would be an easy fix, but you clearly know less than me. Simply having the AI not engage in futile attacks would be a massive improvement, and that is not a big change. I've already proposed a method that could be used to tell wether the AI should attack or wait until it has more troops. A very numerical method (hence easy to code), but apparently you think this is somehow impossible to program, but I see no comments by you on how it wouldn't be possible.

I don't know why you are so gung-ho about the AI programming. It is ok, but it isn't great. That's true of many Civ-type games, and in Call to Power II, the community was able to make much better AI than what was shipped with the game. I know that will be the same here if the AI isn't improved a good bit from the Civ III.

I can only assume you have never programmed anything on a computer at all.
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. THis is going nowhere. I simply think your idealism is a bit naive.
        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          That means shift certain things up to national level.
          Getting dangerously close to MOO3 territory here.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
            Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. THis is going nowhere. I simply think your idealism is a bit naive.
            I agree to disagree, but I don't think a pragmatic suggestion with a proposed simple method on how to implement it is naive.

-Drachasor
            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Just looked at the poll results. The answer appears to be very clear on what people want.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

I don't care that much about AI. I'll be far more interested in playing against real people. Voted Economics/Trade/Diplomacy
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                  I don't care that much about AI. I'll be far more interested in playing against real people. Voted Economics/Trade/Diplomacy

There's a big difference in Economics/Trade/Diplomacy between playing against real people and playing against the AI. I know the way the AI handles it could use improvement.

Comment

Diplomacy

Except it wasn't in the poll..
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Your right, and last time around, that was something a lot of people wanted improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        Just looked at the poll results. The answer appears to be very clear on what people want.
                        AI still appears to be way out front with Culture and Economics tied for a distant second.

Comment

Since politics/diplomacy/puppet-regimes isn't there, I vote banana.

Really, there is a problem: all that can be done is conquest while reality always was so much more subtle, since the beginning of history.
                          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

They're all puppet regimes to me.

Comment

One element is missing: how about improving the gameplay? Some elements in Civ3 are fun, others are not doing it for me. Here are some of my pet peeves:

- Combat in Civ 3 is boring compared to SMAC. And it should be fun, since its HUGE part of game.

- Having to manage a zillion of cities is boring. (If you ask me, managing 12 cities is already too much) Of course, if you want to win, you have to build and manage a zillion cities. In other words, you either use ICS, or you lose. Of course, this is a central problem with all Civ games.

- It lacks depth somehow. I'm not talking about the depth of the simulation: Civ is not meant ot be a simulation. I'm talking about strategic depth, or gameplay depth. Why Civ has less depth than SMAC, for instance? It's hard to say. Because SMAC is more complex? Maybe. Why chess has more depth than Civ 1, Civ 2, SMAC and Civ 3 combined? Well, it's certainly not because it's more complex.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Because chess is nonlinear and counter-intuitive in its implementation, actually.

Drachasor got trolled.

The AI does some dumb things,
                                But instead of Firaxis improving it,
                                they should simply make an AI script editor - right from parsing the save to moving the units.

It would ROCK to have open-source, editable AI. Then we might have a chance of fighting a real opponent that doesn't take 24 hours to calculate its moves.

Comment

Working...
                                X