rush building: a magic world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rush building: a magic world?

I have always found this rush building feature unfair because very unrealistic.

Neither money nor lashes on slave back can help you finish in one turn something that takes normally many many turns to do. And as for heroes, I said it is just as unlogical that they can perform this in the thread on hearoes and their abilities.

I suggest to modify this feature. Rush building must remain possible because it is indeed something real. But whether through buying or kicking asses, I think rush buying should be a mode a city can enter in so as to only double it's normal production rate.

Consumption in number of citizens should be debatted, while we can easily decide that the amount of money per turn is a factor of the number of shields already produced. If I'm not mistaken, in present rush buying, it costs 4 per shield. But that is to be determined according to the overall game balance.

Of course, rush buying in a far away city that undergoes corruption should lead to the same waste, so that corruption remains in proportion of the increase of production.

Rush building stops automatically once the building is built or the turn before if normal production is enough to finish the work.
    yes adapt rush building to a more realistic concept
    44.44%
    keep rush building as it is: a magic touch
    44.44%
    cancel rush building altogether, I don't like extra hours!
    11.11%
    Where everybody thinks alike, nobody thinks very much.
    Diplomacy is the art of letting others have your way.

The government is always (the US government anyways) is having trouble with their projects, so what do they do? They throw money at it to get it done, they hire more workers, they get overtime, they get it done.

I say leave rush buying

Comment

remember that 1 turn still equals a certain number of years. So rush building just means you increase work hours, hire more people etc until you complete the project in the number of years equal to 1 turn.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Keep rushing, but make it more expensive.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Keep rushing as it is.
          But make it cheaper.
          I don't have Civ3 anymore, but wasn't the exchange rate something like 8 gold for one shield? I'd rather like the 2 gold/credits for 1 shield/mineral, unless of course the project hasn't even accumulated 10 minerals/shields to it or so.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

To H Tower:
            I'm not saying to cancel rush building. I just say more money shouldn't be magic and should merely double production rate.

To the Diplomat:
            a good point you have there except that the game doesn't go by that reality. When in the beginning it takes you 10 turns to build a granary, and that those turns are 50 years long, that means you'd need half a millenium for that simple primitive building. While the same basic building in modern times still represents 10 turns of production of a newly created city (or conquered and reduced to size one), but that is only 10 years.
            The game goes by turn logic and would need deep changes if it were to be time realistic in building things. The time correspondance is jut to remind us that things are accelerating as we progress and develop.
            And in that turn logic, reducing building time of unit or building from 10 turns to 1 does look like a magic wand effect which I don't really like.
            Where everybody thinks alike, nobody thinks very much.
            Diplomacy is the art of letting others have your way.

Comment

do we realy wana play like its is the real world

I like the escape, no major deal either way

my .02
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

If you have enough money saved up, you should be able to rush anything you want. I consider it to be overtime, extra staff (like employing all people currently unemployed in your city), contracting out work to other cities to produce components for the major project, buying completed components from foreign powers, etc. Throw enough money at something and it can be completed quite quickly.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

a great example was the last big quake in the bay area of CA

When the freeway structure collapsed, the bidder gave his date
                  most said now way. At the end he had it down ahead of schedule, he received a bonus, which he paid out to the workers.
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Leave it as it is. Its supriseing what people can acheive when they put their minds to it, and this is a neat little representation of that in the game.
                    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Working...
                    X