Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What high-tech features should be in Civ 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feels like there is little interest in the features from Call to Power, if one should dare to interpret this poll...
    Victory condition: Gaia controller project 9
    Space colonies orbiting Earth 18
    Space warfare 20
    Undersea colonies 19
    Maglev trains 22
    Biochemical warfare 29
    Fusion power 30
    Applications of genetic engineering 23
    Robotic military units 22
    Nanotechnical applications 19
    Science-fiction governments 11

These are, in one way or another in CtP games.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer
      What is hyperthreading?
      It's mechanical (i.e. CPU level) support for software-threads.

GalCiv doesn't actually use hyperthreading, but it uses a good software threading model where the AI considers its moves during the human's moves. Theoretically, it should be able to take advantage of Intel's hyper-threading.
      [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

I'll chime in with "Victory condition: colony on Mars"

Other than that, I think Civ should pretty much stop at what we have now, instead of trying ventures in the future. In particular, actually manageable space colonies would be a nightmare concerning the late-game tedium, and they would bring nothing interesting for the game, unless a core of game-changing features are based on this.

The space layer was also a mistake that should not be repeated, please.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

About the victory condition, I already said what would be new and interesting. It makes a Mars colony have a point, the Marsian colony could be built in a way similar to the ship to AC; then when it's developed enough you can build a base on either Phobos or Deimos and upkeep it with suplises from the colony (so place for two tunnel project at the same time).

Space colonies orbiting Earth, aka space layer, PLEASE DON'T.

Space warfare, SMACesque, yes.
          Undersea colonies -- that's actually not such a bad idea, maybe.

Maglevs, Biochem weaponry, Fusion, SDI (even more detailed maybe, and integrating SMAC's sattelites and space warfare) -- YES.

Applications of genetic engineering -- don't overdo it.
          Sci-fi govs and planet-busters, no point in them.

Now, nanotech and robotic MU, that's a more complicated issue. I can see nanotech with medical and battlefield recon uses, but not much more in the way of military soon enough to matter. I'm not entirely sure aobut this, though -- they copuld prove useful for stealth kamikaze type atatcks. OTOH Robotic aircfaft and the like we'll see soon enough.
          Last edited by Krum; April 4, 2004, 09:09.
          We can learn from history that noone learns from history.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Hey Panag, welcome back! You've been away since November!
            hi ,

not away , just not enough hours in one day , ......

and still a lot of work for the next months , .....

and when it comes to an important thread like this one , well time is made then , ....

see ya

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Personally I just want to see tech advance far enough that there is realistic tech for interplanetary travel at high sublight speeds. The main function of this would be to re-work the Modern era, which currently is screwed up because its main focus in to build something, that in reality, we do not have the tech to build.

Maglevs: Yes. Get rid of unlimited regular RR movement, make unlimited movement with Maglev. Yeah, yeah I know you dont put tanks on them, but its meant to represent the current ability to transport units rapidly.

Undersea cities: No. We arent that tight on space to need these in the near future.

Space Stuff: Should be applied abstractly, like production bonuses etc. No space layer in the core game.

Planet busters: huh? The "Let's kill ourselves along with everyone else" tech. Kind of silly. Never mind the fact that this is too futuristic.

Futuristic Governments and Social Stuff: Social advances are the toughest to add. Technocracy is probably the only futuristic Goverment I would seriously consider adding.
              Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
              Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Oh hell with it lets ignore reality, every other game on the market does, to some extent, besides the whole game is about maddening blood letting meglomania anyway, I mean its all about your armies marching into somebody elses territory and conquering eithter the world or a major part of it. Besides giant stompy robots is always neat ever since transformers...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  A good one. It's very closely linked to where Civ 4 should stop. I believe that Civ 4 could go until maybe 2100 AD, trying to only introduce future techs concepts of which are familiar now.
                  My personal opinion is that Civ4 should stop at "present" like Civ3, but on the other hand I think that all those future techs, units and buildings would be wonderful for an expansion.

Also, I don´t know how much acceptation this would have, but I would like to a see an story-based expansion with a campaign featuring different parts of the story like in C3C, but connected by some point in common. Maybe something like the story of several factions fighting for the power trough history or even feature some kind of immortal characters who move from scenario to scenario (did I say "Highlanders"? )
                  "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                  "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

I voted for:
                    Interplanetary travel, moon and Mars colonies
                    Maglev trains
                    Biochemical weapons

The rest is still a bit science fiction like, and have not yet really been applied, although there is a lot theorietical development going on I gather.

One thing I would like to see added is the concept of aquaculture, meaning and I quote:

The rearing or culture of aquatic organisms using techniques designed to increase the production of organisms in question beyond the natural capacity of the environment; the organisms remain the property of a natural or legal person throughout the rearing or culture stage, up to and including harvesting (EU Council Regulation 2792/99 -17/12/99- of OJ L 337 - 30/12/99)

In other words a means of boosting food from seatiles.

Comment

and ideas like

Hubble - increase science output

rail gun- (space transport or weapon?)

Ion Drives +__ space travel

just a few of my favorite things
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

And on a similar note, a space station.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I would've liked Artificial Intelligence. But I was too late. My fault :-(

Comment

I want a star destroyer!
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                              I want a star destroyer!
                              And I want a pony!
                              [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

Working...
                              X