• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random idea: open architecture and DLLs

Move some of game formulas to open source recompilable DLL
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

I've never modded... but seeing what people with games that have such capabilities can do, I say YES to making as many aspects of the game open to the public to tinker with.

If that means DLL, okay. If there is another way... hey, I don't mod, so I don't care how! Just make it possible!

Comment

Move some of game formulas to open source recompilable DLL

[bof]They were going to do something like this with the AI in CTP1. The AI was put in a DLL and the intention was to release the header files for it. But it never happened. [/bof]

Although it's an interesting idea, I don't think it's the best way to go. For one thing, Civ4 will be written in VC++ - I think that 95% of commercial games are - and how many players know C++ and, more importantly, have a VC++ compiler?

IMO, a proper scripting language like CTP2's SLIC or RoN's BHS would be better. It can allow players to access many more game events than the DLL approach.

[bof]=bitter old fart mode (click here)

Comment

First. C++ compiler can be free (less effective and made by third party) or warez.
        Second. DLLs can be compiled in other languages.
        money sqrt evil;

Comment

If you want to talk about warez as a reason why game makers should listen to your suggestions, get the hell out of here.

Then, really, a free C++ compiler will be unable to compile a program made in Visual C++, not with quite some changes.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I do not say about compiling a whole program. I say about compiling a single export file. And exported DLLs can be compiled in almost all programing languages.
            money sqrt evil;

Comment

Working...
            X