No announcement yet.

Eras in Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, wouldn't you love to kick American butt with a regiment or Hoplites, or bomb the Sumeritans back to the Bronze age?

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
      Yeah, wouldn't you love to kick American butt with a regiment or Hoplites, or bomb the Sumeritans back to the Bronze age?
      Especially if they were in the modern age already.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Not all -that- realistic, is it?
        Unless you rename the civilisations, but that's 3 different names for 50 different civs - ain't gonna happen. :/

Comment

Now this is one place wher i have to give Call To Power a thumbs up...BIG TIME!

One of the most enjoyable games was where I would say start at Renaissance and ended at Modern or start Modern and end Modern..but still play the game out.

I would like to see this in CIV IV and I guess that would mean you would have the associated tech to go along with it..no problems..

Ok

Thats my $0.02 worth..

Vote to have it as "AN OPTION" not necessarily standard....

Peace

Gramps
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
            Not all -that- realistic, is it?
            Unless you rename the civilisations, but that's 3 different names for 50 different civs - ain't gonna happen. :/
            Given Civ3's penchant for interchanging English and British I think Firaxis giving multiple and innaccurate alternate names for a civilization is well within their ability.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I like the unique element that Era's bring to Civ...please don't get rid of them.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

I like the era concept, because it distinguished the graphics, it also made it easier to select which age you wanted to start in. But I also hated some of the biases and euro-centricities. IE Greeks didnt need printing press to have democracy (or monotheism, for that matter).

The eras were eurocentric, because of the middle ages, industrial revolution, and modern times. 'Middle Ages' refers to the time between old and new antiquity, so all non-european/mediterrenian cultures didn't have a middle age. Industrial Revolution? Granted, that would be an entirely new era. But what's so significant that it is separate from modern times?

Eras should be the following: Neolithic Era (level1), Scientific Revolution (level2), Industrial Revolution (level3), Information Age (level4). Since they're very clear-cut, unlike the ancient/middle, and industrial/modern

My suggestion would be to have the eras as numbers on the techs. Like in SMAC (except they had 16 levels). Astronomy could be a level2 tech, while industrialization could be level 3, etc. You wouldn't need to have a level 2 tech always to get a level 3 tech, either.

The game could just find the average level of techs that are available for you to discover, and make that determine your era. For example, if you are in era1, and you now are able to research more than half of the level 2 techs, you move to era2, and get the graphics update.

Comment

Originally posted by Quezacotl06
                  I like the era concept, because it distinguished the graphics, it also made it easier to select which age you wanted to start in. But I also hated some of the biases and euro-centricities. IE Greeks didnt need printing press to have democracy (or monotheism, for that matter).

The eras were eurocentric, because of the middle ages, industrial revolution, and modern times. 'Middle Ages' refers to the time between old and new antiquity, so all non-european/mediterrenian cultures didn't have a middle age. Industrial Revolution? Granted, that would be an entirely new era. But what's so significant that it is separate from modern times?

Eras should be the following: Neolithic Era (level1), Scientific Revolution (level2), Industrial Revolution (level3), Information Age (level4). Since they're very clear-cut, unlike the ancient/middle, and industrial/modern

My suggestion would be to have the eras as numbers on the techs. Like in SMAC (except they had 16 levels). Astronomy could be a level2 tech, while industrialization could be level 3, etc. You wouldn't need to have a level 2 tech always to get a level 3 tech, either.

The game could just find the average level of techs that are available for you to discover, and make that determine your era. For example, if you are in era1, and you now are able to research more than half of the level 2 techs, you move to era2, and get the graphics update.
                  seems as fair assumption and layout as any

make it so Sid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tian Dan
                    I like the unique element that Era's bring to Civ...please don't get rid of them.
                    Unique? Age of Empires (and its sequels/offspring: Age of Kings and Age of Mythology) had 4 eras. I'd hardly call that unique! (Unless you mean 'unique' in a different sense.)

I've always liked the old Civs I and II tech trees better than Civ III's. The tree from Civ III is too...restrictive. I'd like to see a more flexible tech tree introduced in Civ IV. One where I can research Astronomy before Construction, for instance.
                    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Sorry, but there's a big distance between neolithic age and the Scientific revolution...

Comment

I believe that before answering this question, I would need more information and maybe some hybrid options. Most people answering this wont know all that much about the subject and yes/no may be unexact for those knowing the subject.
                        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Max, not really. What era would fill the space between? What grand breakthrough or social upheval? There was none. There was the fall of an empire, and the rise of a new social and religous order. Nothing like the huge changes in the eras I suggested. The Middle Ages were, at best, a gradualism between 2 eras.

Everything society was was back then in the neolithic. It is the development of basic social, religous, architectural, metal, and agrian technologies.

Monotheism, education, theology, banks, printing press, democracy, free artistry, chivalry, feudalism, and engineering all belong in era1. Because all those things were around in the neolithic era (egyptian sun cult, plato's academy, athenan democracy, greek artistry, the heroic archetype, slavery, and the temple of artemis took a LOT of engineering skills back then, it should really be in construction).

Comment

me I cant say i look at the eras and such like some do here, I do enjoy playing though..I like the breakup of ages/eras..just that well when all said and done its nice but it is a game..

Gramps

Comment

who are you talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by Quezacotl06
                                who are you talking to?
                                anyone who will listen

I was..how does one put it?..making a comment...

Peace

Gramps

Comment

Working...
                                X