The List - Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The List - Combat

Suggestions for combat system in Civ 4 go here.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

hmm

I have been posting a lot on the subject

please see

in fact

I have been working on discussions of making Civ's tactical portion fun again

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In fact, I am supposed to see all your ideas in this thread, and not a link where I have to find what you think .

Comment

in fact solver arnet you supposed to collate all the info from other threads ???
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

The info is supposed to be centralized here with help of posters too .

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            In fact, I am supposed to see all your ideas in this thread, and not a link where I have to find what you think .
            they are not just for your edification

but rather for those who click on this thread and wish to see past ideas and discussions

JOnM iller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The info is supposed to be centralized here with help of posters too .

yeah i hope they help too. pace slowly picking up.... more workload soon .....

Comment

but rather for those who click on this thread and wish to see past ideas and discussions

And those who want to see all ideas would rather see them in one thread.

Comment

that is exactly the point of having this List Threads to put them all in one place... save people having to click around to various threads... keeps it neater and easier to search on search engine here

Comment

And those who want to see all ideas would rather see them in one thread.
                    yep

but you made a new one

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

erm.. it's his job to make a new one.

But I think the links are a fine idea, to allow people who are just coming to the conversation to review the past discussions while Solver sorts through the reams of back and forth arguments to put into the top post.

Here is a basic summary of what I've talked about, and want:

Simultaneous Movement
                      This is a huge deal to me, and would be a huge step forward in my opinion. Turns have an orders phase, which is just like a current Civ turn, except that [i]units given orders don't move, just give a visual cue to show they have orders.[i]

Then, when everyone is done with their orders, the Resolution phase begins, and the computer moves all of the units at once, and any that come into contact with each other engage in combat (or not, depending on any number of factors).

During the Orders phase you can tell units to attack any enemies, only enemies they outnumber, nobody at all, etc. Of coruse, if you say don't fight but the enemy wants to fight...

I think this makes for a better system that supports more realistic and strategic combat, and requires more long term planning (a good thing, to me) for the best combat results.

Other possible side effects:
                      *Increase AI abilities. Since the AI could be threaded to let it issue orders during your turn, like GalCiv's is, this might very well make for a stronger and smarter AI with fewer cheats. Something that I think is universally wanted.
                      *Battles can last several turns. Since battle resolution doesn't have to be RIGHT NOW a system like this could be designed to allow for multi-turn battles. This would let players retreat from bad situations, reinforce battles, and tie up enemy troops while sneaking another army behind the front. This isn't a must of my proposal, but sure would be a great addition.
                      *Smoother Multiplayer. The game sould be designed as single player first, but when a great single player change makes for a huge multiplayer improvement! Well....

Possible negative side effects:

Oh, I'm sure someone will have some. )

Comment

Army Combat
                        I want to organize several units to fight as a signle, cohesive entity. They would move together and fight together until I break up the army.

This style of combat is widely supported in the current poll on these boards - though there is a very vocal minority in opposition - and is also well regarded as one of the best features of the Call to Power series.

This system has two huge effects, of what I consider nearly equal importance.

First of all, virtual elimination of tedium from combat. No more moving units one by one, and having them fight defenders one by one, then occupying the cities one by one by one by one... ARGHHH!!

Vastly huger armies than in Civ 3 could be managed with a huge reduction in tedium. Let's say that your standard Civ 3 army is almost 600, not counting garrissons, and you want to fight a war with them...

Better warm up your fingers, because you have a lot of shuffling to do.

Now, with the ability to organize armies, you can have the same sized force, but only about, say, 20 or 25 units to move around. All of them in thoughtfull composed organized entities that would feature combined arms.

How could it go wrong?

Comment

The one thing about combat I really missed in Civ3

Attack bonus depending on terrain -option
                          I admit I have my own cow in the ditch here (I don't know if that expression makes any sense in english). I wanted to make a decent winter warrior for my finnish civ, which had attack bonus in forest and in tundra.

So the idea is to make it an unique trait to some special forces.
                          - mountain guerillas would have increased attack (+25...+50%) when attacking to and from a mountain square
                          - south-american indians & zulu's would have increased attack (+25...+50%) when attacking to and from jungle squares

and so on...
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

1. Standoffs

As it stands currently if one unit attacks the other it is always a win for one of them (unless the attacker has retreat). I would like to see the ability for a defensive unit to "hold off" an attacker without killing it. Essentially a tie. This would allow a defensive unit to make a stand to allow reinforcements to arrive.

2. Flanking

If a unit is attacked from two different directions on the same turn the second attacker gets a bonus.

3. Connectivity Defense Bonus

If a city is connected to that civ's Web of cities, it gains a defense bonus. This makes bombarding the roads more important.

4. Intelligence bonus

Having a scout unit with your army gives a small bonus

Comment

A request: no stacked combat debate in this thread, OK? There is already at least one thread devoted solely to stacked combat.

Comment

Working...
                              X