No announcement yet.

Civilization V - My wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its interesting to think about where this franchise will be five or six years in the future. I still remember being floored by Civ 1. (Mid 90's)

I also recall being floored by Empire on the PC. It had some of the major military units (infantry, battleship, etc) represented by "I" and "B" for example. No stacking and the screen was basically filled with letters representing the square. IIRC, the ocean was little "o" and the cities were "O"...that game was awesome for its time. (1983...i think)

So I disagree with you Panag. Ask someone what their wishlist for improving Empire or even Civ 1 and it would sound outrageous, but highly possible if enough people want the same thing. I think that is the limiting factor (market demand) not disk space or processor power.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Each battle encounter could open up a screen in the likes of the HOMM series where all units, terrain, and city defense improvements (if the attack is in a city) are taken into account and then the battle is played out turn-based.

But maybe we'll even see that in Civ IV.
      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I would think if that was developed, it could also be made as an option. For those who want to play a quicker game, let the computer resolve combat like it does today.

I like this idea a lot... others have mentioned the CTP battle scene, but something a little bit more sophisticated would be cool. This way you could move your whole stack into combat. Something different would need to be done with armies....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
          more like Civ XXV
          3 dimensional holographic battle projections
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

But maybe we'll even see that in Civ IV.
            Hopefully not, the CTP battle screen was a resource hog and really didn't add anything to the game.

Civ is about civilizations... not about battles...
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I agree

JKon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

Hopefully not, the CTP battle screen was a resource hog and really didn't add anything to the game.

Civ is about civilizations... not about battles...
                But what about Civ V? Although slightly ridiculous premise, this thread is about Civ 5...

Comment

After the advent of a political science, you should be able to select from a long laundry list of governmental traits and then create and name your own governemnt.

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                    As for 200 civs, I'd say play EU2 - there are over 100 viable nations in the game at one time.
                    But how do you get so many nations in a non-scenario? I want to build my nation from scratch, but in the only non-scenario* in the game there's only about 8 nations

*Or did I miss a free-play option somewhere?
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You right-click on the shields/flags and it should give you a list of other nations to play.

Comment

Id like to see you try civ3 on a pentium 166, 32mb ram. It didnt hog anything, it showed a zoomed-in picture of the terrain behind the sprites you see on the main map fighting, nothing was unncessary about it.

And the battlescreen was a necessary extension for beginners to show combined arms combat too, but you could turn it off anyway if you thought it was a "hog".
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

WARNING! Major thread revival in sighting!
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

And I thought this was actually the revival of major discussion around here. Oh well, it seems like a good thing for getting bumped anyway.

1. I'd like every imaginable huistorical cultural group available as a civ. Playing 200 at a time might be nice, but if so I wouldn't want each civ to be distinct. Maybe have gameplay for each civ to be about as complicated as in Civ1 or Civ2. Really the point for me in having many civs to choose from is just the idea of using the civs you identify with, and if you get to use many at a time, the point is simply that and you don't need them to be distinct. But I normally play with only one rival anyway because I like domination and total conquest.

I would definitely want infinite possibilities of civil wars and mergers.

2. To me, there would be absolutely no point.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                              You right-click on the shields/flags and it should give you a list of other nations to play.
                              I was talking about how do you get this:

there are over 100 viable nations in the game at one time

This doesn't seem possible for the only "free-play scenario" (the one called Fantasia) in the game
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X