No announcement yet.

Squares, Hexes, Octagons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't just a 45° turn, the parallelograms are also flattened a bit.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

I prefer by far circles.

Otherwise, ANY of them that can form a spherical map.
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I must admit it took me awhile to get used to the isometric POV when I went from Civ1 to Civ2. I'd still like to see a hex-based Civ.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It isn't just a 45° turn, the parallelograms are also flattened a bit.
          Yes, but the problem to me is that the most intuitive directions (up, down, left, right) are tied to a single pixel (the top, left etc. border of the diamond). This makes it very very hard to find out directions when you start with the games. Hexes or horizontal/vertical squares are much easier to see the directions.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
            I prefer by far circles.
            Care to explain what you mean by that?

If a triangle has three neighbours, a rectangle has four neighbours, a pentagon has five neighbours, a hexagon has six neighbours, etc. ... how many neighbours does a circular tile have? An infinite number? Or, taking into account the limits of computing power, "only" whatever number of tiles the map happens to have?

Comment

No

Well it's... circles. With any other geometric figure, you can pass from a one of the side to the side of the next geometric figure. Same with a circle: circle have an infinite number of side, thus it is vectorial movements. [I'm not even sure it would work, and perhaps it would just be more complicated for the player...].

Seriously, having six sides is enough for me. The only think I'd like would be to see a SPHERIC map. This would truly bring something (strategy, fun, geopolitic by north-south contacts...). I know a game called Populous that I heard was a spheric RTS.
              Last edited by Trifna; August 24, 2003, 17:14.
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Populous wasn't really spherical. As for it being, RTS, yes, but it really didn't look like current-day RTS. It was strategy, and yes it was real time, but it was no click fest (you didn't move your citizens one by one). Great game.
                Note a spherical map causes problems with the paving. You can pave a sphere with triangles (icosaedron) or hexagons with a few pentagons put in here and there, but it's not really straightforward.
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

It all depends what sort of game you want. If you want free-movement, like RTS games, then I would just go for the simplicity of squares. Also it's easier to keep track of where in a square a unit is (a simple x, y). I believe a hexagon map works well with war games, when you need different facings, the distances from centre of one tile to the next is always the same (for munition distances), etc etc.

After I finish my current project, I'm going to work on an idea for a map engine (tile-based) where it's squares in squares. So for each map tile, you might have 9 squares inside it. This would mean 9 different locations for your unit/building in each map square. Now that's versatile.

Comment

it's not so much versatile, it's simply making any given map 9 times as big.

unless, of course, only 1 unit could occupy a "major tile" at a time.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

In Clash, a task force that is moving through a square keeps a counter of where in the square it is, without needing an inner layer.
                      I miss the point of the inner grid. You can provide facing, inner position for very cheap (2 floats for position, 1 for facing), yielding to an infinity of positions inside the square. That's even more versatile, and not more expensive.

Comment

Squares with a top down view for me, isometric view does not bring that much into the game. And for when I am not that conservative, tileless world.

Comment

My first reaction would be to answer "square" because I love the simplicity it implies. However, after having played Fallout and its hex-based system, hexagons aren't any more difficult to manage. Besides, they solve the diagonal problem squares have, and they allow for a better connectivity in a spherical map.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

My previous points exactly.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

If you look at a football (not a handmelon ), you will notice that you need some pentagons also to cover there surface of a sphere with hexagons.

Ultimately, you can't go with a tile/grid-less system, because that would require infinite resources and resolution, which you don't have.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I like hexagons better. Up to six road-lines per tile rather than 8 make the map much simpler and prettier after I have roaded the entire land area.

I also found it ironic that Hexagonian preferred squares.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X