Improving the city model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The diplomat

I am a bit confused by your idea. It sounds like you could have pop spread all over the map and not necessarily concentrated inside cities.
    In theory, yes. you could have one opo point in each tile as you get more. Obviously, yuo would lose and die that way, as other people;s advanced and you stagnated, But it would be possible.

Also, how would the player produce units and such before cities? Would ressources be pooled?
    Military units come from pop points, so in theory, a unit can pop up from any tile. But you have to equip the unit (this is did not mention in my spiel, since it is rather long) so either yuou buy the stuff from a nearby civ or you have to build the improvement to make equipment. It can be in any tile, but without cities, it would eat up a fair chunk of your resources.

Oh,as for resources. Resources build up in each tile. You need roads to move them, and as I said, early on (and through most of the game) losses from inefficiency are high. In general, yuo would need various improvements to make use of resources, and they can only be used in a tile with that improvement. So if you keep harvesting some resources from some tile without the ability to get it to a tile with the necessary improvement, you re just waisting pop. point labor. This would encourage the creation of centers fo trade and administration, which is the very point of why cities came to exist in the first place.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

In theory, yes. you could have one opo point in each tile as you get more. Obviously, yuo would lose and die that way, as other people;s advanced and you stagnated, But it would be possible.

Military units come from pop points, so in theory, a unit can pop up from any tile. But you have to equip the unit (this is did not mention in my spiel, since it is rather long) so either yuou buy the stuff from a nearby civ or you have to build the improvement to make equipment. It can be in any tile, but without cities, it would eat up a fair chunk of your resources.

Oh,as for resources. Resources build up in each tile. You need roads to move them, and as I said, early on (and through most of the game) losses from inefficiency are high. In general, yuo would need various improvements to make use of resources, and they can only be used in a tile with that improvement. So if you keep harvesting some resources from some tile without the ability to get it to a tile with the necessary improvement, you re just waisting pop. point labor. This would encourage the creation of centers fo trade and administration, which is the very point of why cities came to exist in the first place.
      I think I get it know. thanks.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I like spiffs idea and I'm just too tired to read anything else. Especially the long post with numbers by diplo I will though. later. someday...

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          Especially the long post with numbers by diplo I will though. later. someday...
          I can give you a quick summary with no numbers involved.

Basically, my model would use real pop numbers and would not require workers on tiles.

There would be a food, labor and commerce sector that would produce food/labor/gold based on the amount of population allocated to them.

Surrounding terrain would modify the food/labor/gold produced by giving the city bonuses/penalties.

Each sector would only allow a maximum amount of pop to work there. This cap would increase automatically when the gold produced in each sector reached a certain amount (yes, the food and labor sector would also produce gold based on how much food and labor they produce).

The player would manage the city through sliders to allocate % of pop to each sector, and a build queue to build city improvements, wonders and units. The player could also let the AI help them manage with simple orders like "emphasize military" or "emphasize food".

last but not least, the player coulf allocate a % of population to city defense, which would automatically create militia type units. Militia would provide basic defense, and reduce unrest.
          Last edited by The diplomat; July 29, 2003, 16:29.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
          X