(mod idea) UN Trade Embargoes and Peacekeepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (mod idea) UN Trade Embargoes and Peacekeepers

i've posted this idea on here before however at that time the game was fairly new and subsoquently so was modding. So here it is,

Embargoes:

When the secratary general picks embargo from the voting list, a new popup allows the general to pick from a list of all playing nations, it is then voted on

1. if a the required majority votes for the sanctions no one is allowed to trade with the suffering nation for 15 turns.
    2. if the majority is not reached, then no sanctions are incurred.

Peacekeeping
    picking a nation works in the same fashion as embargoes

1. One slight difference here, a 51% majority is required here, and only those voting yes go to war
    Those voting yes are required to remain at war for 15 turns. Post 15 turns they are then able to negociate and th coalition is allowed to collapse.

2. if a 51% majority is not reached then there is no war by any nation.
    Last edited by greenday_234; March 9, 2006, 19:35.
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

Boy, this idea never seems to catch on...Keep at it Greenday. This is a good idea.
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

That's a very interesting and very awesome idea. I really wish there was much more playability concerning the diplomatic side of the game.

Comment

boy gdi it seems your right, which I think is so strange, I think this would add an excellent element of gameplay. Do you have any knowledge on modding? And if so would you like to team up and see if we can't make this idea happen?
        atrocities.
        - Voltaire

Comment

Why have it? Embargoes and peacekeeping don't seem to work in the real world very well.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

So? Did communism worked out? Not really, but you can still choose it as civic (State Property). Why not make it in a way that it will work, like suggested.

I think it's a good idea, but it also would be cool that - when you go to war for a peacekeeping mission - you 'donate' military units for that cause so that there will be 'blue helmets'. Although you 'donated' them, you'll still be able to control the units.
            Greetz, Ramses

Comment

I agree with Ramsses here, just because they don't work out in real life doesn't make them not pertant to the game. Also I'm not exactly looking for an exact replica of real life, I'm looking for a good game. And as it is right now civ4, as great as it is, is no replica of real life. Is it possible in the real world to invade so many countries as to totally manipulate the UN vote without any real repurcutions? No. Can you do it in Civ4? absolutely. This game has never been nor can it ever be a real life example, so instead I'm looking for something that I think will bring a good element to the game play.
              atrocities.
              - Voltaire

Comment

Embargoes can work in the game, it would be as easy as cancelling a trade agreement. Peacekeepers, or stationing active troops in someone else's territory, would be less than easy. I'd hate to say it but a good example for what the UN can do could be the Galactic Council in MOO3.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

How would you go about adding the trade embargoes, I have no computer programming experience.
                  atrocities.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard. Just cancel all active trade agreements with the player in question.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any modding experience either.
                      I don't know what I've been told!
                      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                      Love to press the Buster Switch!
                      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

vince, sorry I have absolutely no modding experience could you help me out in this regard? How would I implement cancelling all trade deals into the UN?
                        atrocities.
                        - Voltaire

Comment

I'm sorry, I haven't tried it myself in actual practice but it sounds simpler than most things people are thinking of doing. I'm actually in the middle of doing a Space Empires 4 mod right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X