[MOD] Gender equality in leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MOD] Gender equality in leaders

I have been pondering for some time of making a series of leaders both male and female, to account for the lack of such genders among the 18 original cultures chosen by Firaxis. Being a female gamer, I do prefer to have female leaders, as I am sure some of you male gamers out there would prefer to have male leaders.

I am looking for help in creating these leaders, primarily artists who can create the leader images, but also researchers who can help me find some of the missing pieces, or perhaps better options than some of these I have found.

So far, I have a nice list of leaders to add to the mix, such that players, both male and female, can play a leader who is their chosen gender. I will list the leaders I propose to add, the gender of each leader and an explanation of who they are, if I felt it was needed (some are extremely famous)

Egypt: Ramessess II (Male) - One of the most famous ancient Egyptian leaders

England: James I (male) - famous for the King James Bible OR Winston Churchill - nuff said!

Rome: Aggripina (female) - wife of Caesar Claudius, she was given allegiance and obedience by captured Celtic warriors, not her husband.

Greece: Arsinoe II (female) - daughter of Ptolemy I, she was a powerful figure in both Greece and Egypt OR Dora Bakoyiannis (female) - a present day member of Greek parliament, first and only female member

France: Joan of Arc/Jean d'arc (female) - duh ORCatherine de Medicis - Adding her to the list of possible leaders for France after a bit of research on her proved that she was not part of the Italian leadership, but France! OR Elenor of Aquitane - wife of Louis VII, lead a group of 300 women to assist in the second crusade. Also, she successfully managed to convince the papacy that her marriage to Louis was invalid, and thus had it anulled even after bearing several children. However, after this anullment, she married Henry II of England, so perhaps not as good of a choice for France.

Germany: Angela Merkel (female) - present day first female chancellor of Germany ORConsors Regni Empress Beatrix of Upper Bourgogne of the Holy Roman Empire - Sovereign Countess of Upper Burgundy and Franche-Comté 1148-84 in succession to her father, Reinald III of Burgundy, and married Friedrich I Barbarossa (1122-90), who became Emperor in 1155. As Empress she devoted much of her time to Burgundy and ruled the realm rather independently, using the title of 'Domina Dux'. She was succeeded by son Otto I, and lived (1140-84).
    (I am starting to lean towards Beatrix, now that I've found her. She reigned independantly, and is an historical figure, rather than modern day)
    Maria Theresa of Austria - (May 13, 1717 – November 29, 1780) was the first and only female head of the Habsburg dynasty. She was Archduchess of Austria, and Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and ruler of other territories from 1740 until her death. She also became the Holy Roman Empress when her husband was elected Holy Roman Emperor. She was one of the so-called "enlightened monarchs" (also refered to as "enlightened despots"). She was one of the most powerful rulers of her time, ruling over much of central Europe.

India: Indira Ghandi (female) - Prime Minister of India for many years

USA: Rebecca Ann Latimer Felton (female) - first female US Senator, only held for 1 day unfortunately OR Rhoda Fox Graves (female) - first female to hold a seat in the US Senate for more than 1 day

Spain: Francisco Franco (male) - Fascist leader of Spain from 1930 till 1975 OR Charles V - Also known as Charles Quint - Very powerful and famous spanish king.

Mongolia: Prime Minister Tuyaa Nyam-Osoryn (female) (1999, held office less than a year) - not exactly a Mongol horde leader, but definitely a female leader of modern Mongolia OR Mandukhai Khutan (female) - the only known female leader in Mongolian history. I am leaning towards Mandukhai...

Aztec: Queen Iztacxilotzin of Quauhtitlan - Don't know much about her yet, but she was apparently an independant ruler within the Aztec empire.

Inca: Mama Huaco, Mama Ocllo, and Mama Anahuarque (Leaning towards Mama Ocllo presently, but might change my mind after I find pages about the other two)

China: Empress Wu Zetian (Wu Chao), 625-705

Japan: I am trying to decide between these 7 female Japanese leaders... If someone could do me a favor and look them up, then post relavent info or links to relavent info, I would be grateful
    Empress Suiko Tenno 593–628 - The first empress and with her prime minister, established the 17 articles of constitution that were followed for an extremely long time in Japanese society. She was devoutly buddhist and spread buddhism throughout Japan. She also brought about closer ties with China, which made for a very peaceful era. (seriously considering this one)
    Empress Kogyoku 642–645,
    Empress Jito 686–697,
    Empress Gemmyo 703–724,
    Empress Koken (abdicated) 749–758,
    Empress Shotuku-Koken 764–770 - A renegade among Empresses, she had complete power and nearly ended the direct line of succession by allowing a buddhist priest to act as her advisor, and wished him to succeed her. She resulted in an end to independant Empresses as a result of her ploy, at least for 1000 years. Her actions eventually resulted in a law being written in the Meiji era preventing independant female leadership.
    Empress Toshi-ko 1762–1771

Mali: Amina Sarauniya Zazzua (female), c.1533-c.1610 (Nigeria) - Unfortunately, not Malinese. If you can find a Malinese female leader, please tell me.

Arabia: Co-Ruler al-Sayyida al-Hurra Malika 'Arwa bint Ahmad al-Salayhiyya of Yemen - The wife of al-Mukarram Ahmad (1067-84), she was joint ruler with her mother-in-law Queen Asma. After her husband's death she became ruler in her own name, having the Friday's Prayers said in her name. She lived (1047-1137).

Persia:
    During the Sassanid Dynasty (224-651), Iran (Persia) had two Queen Regnants, Pourandokht (PRD) and Azarmidokht (AZD), who ruled for about three years (629-632).
    PRD started her ruling as the first Iranian queen regnant in Ctesiphon (in Persian: Tyssfoon) on May 20, 629 and tried to revive the sovereignty of Sassanid dynasty. The reign of PRD, whose name means [successor girl] and it is also synonymous to [a girl with a rosy face], become contemporary to Abu-Bakr and Omar caliphates. In ancient books and resources she is described as a wise, just, and a good-natured woman. PRD is quoted in a letter to her army writing, [A monarch, regardless of being a queen or a king, must defend his or her land and treat the people with justice].The outstanding characteristics of PRD were even undeniable to the first Iranian epic poet, Ferdowsi (935-1020). Despite his patriarchal attitudes, Ferdowsi, in his masterpiece of the Book of Kings or Shahnameh, noted PRD's justice and the welfare that farmers enjoyed during her reign. Sadly, after 16 months, when preparing for the deployment of her army to confront the invader Arabs, PRD got sick and passed away in Ctesiphon in 631.
    AZD, the sister of PRD, ruled Iran as the second queen regnant from 631 to 632 when Hormuz V took over. There is not much information available on the life story of AZD. It is, however, reported that General Farrukh-Hormuzd (GFH) who was the governor of Khorassan, according to historian Tabari, or prince of Azarbaijan, according to Armenian sources, aspired to the crown and attempted to secure it by proposing a marriage to queen AZD who refused the proposal. GFH was the father of Rostam-e-Farrokh Zaad (590-636), who became the first Iranian famous commander-in-chief few years later.
    Alternately, I could use Homa Shahrzad, but I am leery of adding a potentially mythological leader. Though, if I am not mistaken, Shahrzad (Sheherazad) was one of the female Persian leaders in CivII, or perhaps Babylonian?
    In Ferdowsi's epic Book of Kings or Shahnameh, there is also a mythological reference to yet another Queen Regnant named Homa Shahrzad who ruled over 32 years.
    As it turns out, while I was reading about the Inca, I discovered that the leader Firaxis included for the Inca is also semi-mythological, just like Shahrzad. I am -very- tempted to include her, as a result.

Russia - covered by Firaxis (the only one)

If anyone can convert pictures of these people into the 3D models for the diplomacy screen (is this even necessary?), please post here on who you'd like to work on. Furthermore, if you wish to help me find the missing leaders, please do so. Lastly, if you want to take up a particular leader as your pet project, let me know who you want, and I'll mark that down.

Little known fact, Sri Lanka is the only country in the modern world to have elected 3 women to their highest offices, 2 prime ministers and 1 president (I'm not sure of what the distinction between the offices is, honestly). Runners up are New Zealand, Bangledesh, Ireland, The Phillipines, Lithuania, São Tomé and Príncipe, and Finland, each with 2 elected females. (Well, at least selected, if not elected. Some of the leaders were 'acting' or interim, sort of like if we in the US had a female VP, and the president died)
    Last edited by Aloriel; December 18, 2005, 14:15.

You don't need 3d models, though. Just change the .nif pointer in LeaderHeadInfos to whatever.dds. Are you trying for accuracy in personality? I imagine that Franco will be even more hateful than Isabella, and Joan d'Arc will be very geared towards religion.

Comment

I'd like to see Condoleezza Rice as a US leader.
      The difference between industrial society and information society:
      In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
      In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

While I do agree that Condoleeza is a VERY powerful political figure in the US, she is also not in any elected office. Perhaps that will change in 2008? Similarly Hillary Clinton may well end up there... Would surely be an interesting election if we have Clinton vs Rice. I'm not sure who I would vote for, though Rice is part of the G.W.Bush cabinet, and thus not one of my more favored people.

I would like to stick to people who are part of the house, senate, presidency, parliament, monarchy, etc. instead of advisors and cabinet. Obviously, I'm making exceptions for some of the early cultures such as Rome, since as far as I know, ancient Rome had not a single female leader. However, I am also considering extending Rome to include the Roman Catholic Church papacy, since then I could include Pope Joan. Or possibly later Italy, where I might actually find a few women in leadership positions, such as Catherine de Medicis...

EDIT: Realized I didn't comment on the first reply. Thanks for the info. Also, I am looking for somewhat realistic renditions of these leaders. So clearly, Franco would have favorite civic - police state, and things such as that.

EDIT2: Ack, just looked up Catherine de Medicis and discovered she was married into the French royal family. So she would make a better leader for France, not Italy...blah.
        Last edited by Aloriel; December 16, 2005, 13:30.

Comment

The difference between a Prime Minister and a President is that the former is a head of government, the latter a head of state. The USA is rather unusual in having a President who is both.
          Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Female gamers might prefer to play as females sure.. but male gamers don't care as long as they're playing -against- hot sexy female characters for every turn 'diplomacy' meetings
            ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Hmmm. I think I could do without playing against Isabella and Catherine, sexy though they may be.
              Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

After googling for "female Arab leaders", I found this site . And I think we have candidates for the female Arab leader:

Arab women also served as heads of states. Asma Bint Shihab al-Sulayhiyya governed Yemen with her husband Ali, founder of the Sulayhi dynasty.4 She attended councils of state with her face uncovered. After her husband's death in 1091, she managed the affairs of state on behalf of her partially paralyzed son. Asma died in 1138. The administration of the state then passed to her son's wife, Arwa Bint Ahmad al-Sulayhiyya, who was the niece of Asma's husband Ali.5 Arwa reigned for almost half a century. Both queens had the khutba proclaimed in their name together with their husbands' names.6 (It is customary to proclaim the name of the current sovereign during the Friday sermon, khutba, at the mosque)

Comment

I found 3 Persian Empresses, 1 of which from the 20th century and 2 from the Sassanid dynasty (I think the ancient ones are preferable).

Shahbanu (in Persian: ÔåÈÇäæ) means Empress in Persian. It was a title that was only conferred on the third wife of Muhammad Reza Shah, Farah Diba in 1967. She was the first Empress to be crowned in Iran, excluding the two Sassanian empresses Purandokht and Azarmidokht circa 630 A.D. Previous wives of Iranian Emperors were known as Malika or Queen.
                  edit:
                  See also:
                  This website is for sale! iranian.ws is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, iranian.ws has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I think Pourandokht is the best choice.
                  Last edited by Junuxx; December 17, 2005, 11:25.

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

I really like this idea!

Buuuut if you make Angela Merkel the German female leader I will NEVER play with or as the Germans again!
                    Sorry, she is so terribly ugly (and she's a member of the conservative party) and behaves like a man, it wouldn't be right to call her a female leader.

Alternatively... well there weren't any queens, chanceloresses (nice word :P ) or dictatoras (sounds a little spanish ). Probably best not to have a German female leader - or find one that reigned a German state before it got united (don't know one from the top of my head though). Of course Sissi was German! :P

Edit: Well there's this link ( http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Germany_Heads.htm ) but not much to be used... almost only wives of kings and the like.
                    Last edited by JDexter; December 17, 2005, 11:38.

Comment

Actually, I'm rather pleased to hear that a non-attractive female became leader of a major world power I feared that much of the rest of the world was more like the US, where the attractive women get power, and the non-attractive get left out in the cold, unless they happen to be elderly, in which case all bets are off.
                      As far as liking Angela Merkel, who knows. I can say for sure that some of the empresses listed above and some of the male leaders I'm adding into the mix are perhaps my least favorite people in the history of the world LOL... Francisco Franco was a fascist. I'm about as anti-fascist as one can be... Still, he's famous and was quite powerful for his entire reign...quite a lengthy one for that matter. So I felt he was appropriate in some capacity. I suppose I could also add Charles V into the mix, so that you guys don't have to play a fascist...

Also, thank you JackRudd and Junuxx for the Arab and Persian female leader info. I will be adding at least a few of those to the list in a moment, after I find a bit more info on them.
                      Last edited by Aloriel; December 17, 2005, 11:50.

Comment

An idea for Germany:
                        961-62 De-facto in charge of the Government Dowager Empress Mathilde von Sachsen
                        She had withdrawn to the convent of Quedlinburg which she founded after the death of her husband, King Heinrich I in 936, but took over the reigns in Germany when her son, Otto I, went to Italy after having appointed his infant son, the later Otto II as regent. She had devoted her time to charity and founder of numerous convents and she was later declared a saint (Mathilde die Heilige). She was mother of 3 sons and 2 daughters (among whom Geberga was regent in the West-Frankish kingdom from 954), and lived (ca. 895-968 in Quedlinburg)
                        (good site btw : http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/wo...te_leaders.htm )

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Edited the top level post to reflect many of the leaders that people have presented. Still lacking the Inca, and information on the Aztec and Japanese leaders I managed to dig up names for. Will research further when I have time after xmas shopping today...

Comment

There's a good German female leader. Ok, she's Austrian, but she was the Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, and I'd argue that Austria is part of the Germanic Civilisation.
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I think the games aim is more to reflect the civilizations rather than make equality (although this is not shown through religions...) and I think that is why there are so many more male leaders, because there actually were (and still are) many more male leaders.

On a side note I don't really care what gender my leader is, but if you feel insecure playing as a male then feel free to mod away!
                              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X