A Nomadism civic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nomadism civic

I am experimenting with a civic called Nomadism, which is mostly modelled from the Mongol civilization.

A Nomadic civ would be able to build and conquer new cities quickly, but terrain improvents would be severely penalized.

The roes could be:
    * Requires Horseback Riding
    * 20 free military units
    * +4 unit experience
    * No upkeep cost due to number of cities
    * -1 food from Farms
    * -1 production from Workshops
    * -25% commerce

What do you think?
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Hunting camps should bring more in for such a civic.
    Health should be lower.
    Worker construction time could be higher. (not production of the unit, but the time it needs to finish improvements.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

the nomad civ should not be able to grow the cities it sacks. they woudl neither grow nor shrink

Comment

The "use surplus food for unit production" flag would also fit the nomads well.

So, by dropping some less necessary features, we could have these:
        * uses food for unit production
        * no upkeep cost from number of cities
        * +4 unit experience
        * +1 food from Camps & Pastures
        * -1 food from Farms
        * -1 health
        * -25% worker rate

Nomadism would be an excellent war civic, so players might want to adopt it for every war and switch back when the war is over. To prevent this, the anarchy time should be made extra long.

Comment

changing out of nomadic to something else should have quite a bit of anarchy for balance.. don't want a slew of cities taken over and then a 1 turn anarchy :P
          ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I like this idea in general, because the upkeep thing would make it hard to give up. But I do think it's a bit "loaded" compared to other civics.

Something like:
            Low upkeep.
            No upkeep for # of cities.
            Units built with food&hammers.
            -100% cottage growth (none, unless combined with the +100% growth civic)
            -25% worker rate.

So, while running it your empire is seriously stagnant. It would be best leveraged by taking other peoples cities with their nice towns.
            (I suppose some free unit support would be nice too)

Comment

-50% culture growth and -50% science? That'd balance it.

Comment

This civic should be useless in the industrial age. Therefore the city upkeep cost should not be affected - instead the civic upkeep could be zero.

Comment

Um, that would be a very powerful war civic, kind of opposite of anybody in history BUT the Mongols. Instead of no maintenance per city, that should double, as nomads, by definition, don't have cities that they live in. growth should be very restricted, mounted unit production should be boosted. I like verybad's very bad idea. Wel, ok, it is a good idea. Optimizer has a good idea too.

Anarchy should be large too, as it would take a long time to convince people who are settled down to become nomads, and it tends to be difficult to make nomads settle down.
                  I don't know what I've been told!
                  Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                  Love to press the Buster Switch!
                  Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

A interesting way to balance it imo would be to have each population in a city generate 2 "disease" instead of 1. That should make it very unattractive in the mid-game (due to massive starvation) while still good in the very early (when cities have not yet reached their food "cap") and possibly viable in the very late game (with environmentalism, etc pumping health)

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
                      Um, that would be a very powerful war civic, kind of opposite of anybody in history BUT the Mongols.
                      WRONG

Gauls / Celts
                      Scythians / Sarmatians
                      Black / White Huns
                      Goths / Visigoths / Ostrogoths
                      Vandals
                      Lombards
                      Saxons / Angles
                      Alans
                      Vikings
                      Berbers
                      Arabs
                      Khazars
                      Uzbeks
                      Cossacks
                      Mughals
                      Sioux
                      Apache
                      Commanche
                      Shawnee
                      Pawnee

Mongols are not unique in being a Nomadic-Conquering Civilization.

Comment

I would go so far as to say that a nomadic civ shouldn't be able to build any improvements except roads and only those special buildings that give access to resources (if that...). The ability to grow so quickly would seriously tip the balance of the game, so it should come with severe restrictions.

I also think you shouldn't be able to accumulate culture at all or at least at a severely lower rate. You also shouldn't be able to build any buildings except those related to war (barracks). This would be similar to the Mobilized economy in Civ 3. I think you shouldn't be able to go back to this civic after a certain point in the game, after say the Modern era or maybe earlier.

Overall, I think this is a good idea though.
                        "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
                          Instead of no maintenance per city, that should double, as nomads, by definition, don't have cities that they live in.
                          Not fully true... nomads did have some urban centers, but they were considerably smaller and less established in terms of buildings than those of more urban-minded civs such as Rome, Greece, China, and India.

I think that a population cap of say 2 or 3 with a punitive level of unhealthiness for cities above that level that shrink them back down to 2 or 3 cities. This would mean that if you have three cities with your capital a size 5, the population would die off if you switch to this civic. That would be a good way to discourage it's later use.
                          "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Working...
                          X