Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: re: horseback riding

Originally posted by Fireb
    Horseback riding: Nothing easier than changing a tech cost...what do you think it should be changed to? (currently 60 beakers). Anyone else have an opinion about this?
    Ummm...Priesthood, you mean? 120-250, to bring it in line with the default cost of Horseback Riding and the other techs on that line. I'd start at 250, and we can reduce it later if needed. What do you think?

Originally posted by Fireb
    Regarding the horseback riding arrow: there is (and was, I think) only one (animal husbandry) prerequisite. I changed this to an 'AND' link from an 'OR' link, which means that instead of having an arrow, you now get a picture of a cow (top right of the horseback riding tech. box). The reason for this is that the arrow would have had to cross over 2 eras, which means that you have an arrow pointing to/leading from somewhere you can't see, and it generally wouldn't look good. In terms of gameplay, it changes absolutely nothing. If you really want the arrow back though, i'm happy to change it
    It just looks unusual sitting there, with no arrows going to it. Maybe I'll just get used to it, but that sense of wth? hit me as soon as I saw it, and it may confuse or have the same effect on others. So, let's just wait and see what others say. Though it seems only you, terje439, and I are the only ones active in this.

Comment

I agree with priesthood beeing too easy to get, and as to arrows pointing to horseback riding - well it is all the same to me tbh, but I agree that the first time I looked at it I though "hey what is this, no prerequisite?", but the same goes for monotheism, so I guess it is just something I am still not used to

Comment

Re: Re: re: horseback riding

Originally posted by alms66

Ummm...Priesthood, you mean?
        Oops, yes. Original message edited

I agree that having no arrow pointing to a later tech is un-intuitive, but having a really long arrow doesn't look good either on that screen.

A more intuitive solution would be to create a mod for the CvTechChooser.py file (the script which draws the tech tree) so that instead of having a picture at the top-right of the tech. button, there would be a picture somewhere to the left of that button (but still very close), with an arrow pointing to the new tech. I don't fancy doing that though Any volunteers?

Note: looking at the .ini file I noticed that it defines the starting era - shown as ancient. I wonder if this is what caused my problems earlier, i'll check it out at some point.

Another note : the era pop-up windows are defined by
        CvEraMovieScreen.py (not sure why they're called movies...maybe originally there were supposed to be movies between each era...)
        The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

There are actually a few techs in the standard in-game graph that don't have any arrows to them, just small icons: Divine Right, Astronomy, and Flight.

(And I was wrong in a previous comment; those techs, as well as a few others, have two icons for prerequisites.)

Here's a functional CvTechChooser.py that moves the icons outside the boxes and puts arrows in is linked - Apolyton won't let me upload .py files. I don't think I'm going to use it - testing with the standard tech tree, you can see why Firaxis chose the approach they did. Having the techs out front makes the graph busier and makes layout much harder. You could spend a lot of time tweaking positions, and change the Python layout code so the arrows are spaced farther apart, but it'll take much work to make it not look ugly, and probably more spacing between techs.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the feedback (and the work) Kidinnu.

I guess that idea goes out the window - at least for now.

So I guess we either get used to looking at that diagram unintuitively (like microsoft applications I guess... ), or change the requirements slightly to give things like horseback riding a later prerequisite (so that there are no long arrows).

Kidinnu - if a file won't upload in its format - you can always zip it, and upload the zip. Could you do that, as I might want to take another look at this later on? Thanks.
            The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
            X