Can't make monasteries permanent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't make monasteries permanent?

I am trying an experiment, which is removing obsolescence from the game. All buildings have their effects permanently.

This has worked for ALMOST everything. It does not work for monasteries. I have verified that all seven of the monasteries list:

<ObsoleteTech>NONE</ObsoleteTech>

However, they are still made obsolete! Or at least, once I get Scientific Method, I can't build any more. The tech info for scientific method doesn't suggest anything special there. Is this one hardcoded or something?

You sure its because of scientific method and not because you switched to free religion?

Comment

Try changing it in the "CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos.xml" file.

- Alan

Comment

The CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos.xml file fixed the problem of Scientific Method being described as disabling monastaries, but I still can't build them. Maybe I have to go back to paganism to build monastaries? (I have no state religion.)

Without mods, how are you supposed to build missionaries without monastaries available?

Comment

Hmm. Nope, adopting other civics doesn't seem to have any effect; I just can't put monastaries on the list.

But it could be, I suppose, that "obselete" is a permanent effect, even if you change the XML files later, those items are still off the build list.

Comment

Originally posted by seebs Without mods, how are you supposed to build missionaries without monastaries available?
            You can always build missionaries with the "Organized Religion" civic.

- Alan

Comment

What I'm looking for is a way to do a "free religion" society in which all 7 religions can theoretically be building missionaries and sending them around. It's certainly possible in the world I live in, and I see no reason it shouldn't be possible in Civ.

Comment

Without mods, how are you supposed to build missionaries without monastaries available?
                You can still build missionaries from cities that had monastaries even when they are obsolete. I just make a point of building at least one monastary for every religion I have. You can only have three missionaries at a time for any one religion, so it's never like you need more than a couple of cities prodicing them anyway.

Comment

BTW, I confirmed: In a new game, that fix works. The key is that once something "obsoletes" a unit, it's permanently removed from the tech tree even if you later change the rules!

Comment

Working...
                  X