Religion Unique attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion Unique attributes

I understand where firaxes is coming from when they didnt want to give religions specific traits. But, for the sake of adding another twist on the game, I thought of some religion benefits. I would love if you would comment on them, positive or negative.

Judaism: Spreads slowly, +50% more culture, missionaries cost +25%.

Christianity: Spreads quickly, no positive modifiers with Civs of the same faith.

Islam: Can only be spread through missionaries, -25% war weariness.

Hinduism: Spreads quickly only within your empire, +1 happiness per city that hinduism is present.

Confusionism: Spreads slowly, -25% maintenance.

Buddhism: Spreads quickly, +25% war weariness, cannot build missionaries, during peace cities get +1 happiness.

Taoism: ? any ideas?

There you are.
    A: Do you think these are balanced?
    B: Is it possible in python?
    C: Is it even a good idea?

Thank you.

This is a superior idea. I'm definitely going to work it into the AlternateEpic mod.

Here are some other (mostly comedy) "bonuses" you might consider adding(I don't belong to any of these religions, nor particularly care if you find my humor offensive):

Judaism: Bank, market, grocer etc produced 50% cheaper (snicker)
    Christianity: -25% gold in all cities (collection plate). Knights and Musketeers 25% cheaper (crusades and conquistadors)
    Hinduism: -10% research, +25% GP and population growth (pseudoscience, read www.indiadaily.com), temples 25% cheaper.

"Confusionism" (rofl): -maintenance like u said. courthouses cheaper, forbidden palace and versailles cheaper.

Islam:
    +research (they invented all kinds of junk, like the telescope and algebra.) -3 diplomatic relations (don't get along well with others) +3 happiness if theocracy, they just looooove being told what to do by the priests.

Taoism:
    +1 food from any terrain type with a farm or no improvement,etc (oneness with nature and all that junk)
    -25%
    +1 trade route per city (better merchants)
    -15% research (no real science, just handwaving).

As a side note, IRL Islam holds the record for fastest spread. Not really surprising if you look at it from a self-interest/natural selection point of view. Christianity was mostly exported by european colonialism and has not made inroads in places where that didn't happen.

Comment

An easy way to make this possible IMO is to create a cheapo national wonder for each religion that's only active when you have that religion as your state one. Or tie it to the shrine maybe.

Comment

Christianity is really underpowered compared to the others...

And Sessil, Islam spread quickly, but only through conquest.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I haven't been able to get this concept out of my head. The way the game is now, there really is no difference between the religions and the only reason to have one over another is beacuase more of your cities have one certian type.

Here is some of my ideas:
          Christianity Unique Unit: The Inquisitor. Concept from the Spanish Inquisition. May only be built in cities that already have a Christian Cathedral (or maybe just the Christian Holy city) and has Christianity as the state religion. Works as an anti-missionary. Goes to a city that has Christianity and any other religion and "purges the heathen religion" from the city. Effect is one religion from city is removed (random if more than one religion other than christianity is present), population of city is decreased by 1 (unless city is size one), all corresponding buildings of the "purged religion" destroyed, unit is consumed. Limits: may only be done to civs that have christianity as the state religion.

Religious tensions:
          Sure this is in, but there are particulars here. Islamics hate Jews. Maybe Civs that have the Islamic State religion should have a -100% reaction to civs that have Judaism as the state religion. I'm not sure about the other religions so I can't say about them.

If a civ (we'll call it civ 1) has a state religion where the founding city of that religion is "under the sway" of a different religion (ie: it is possesed by civ 2 that has a different state religion), then civ 1 has an additional -100% reaction to civ 2 to increase the likelyhood that a "Crusade" to liberate the founding city occurs.

Religious restrictions:
          Civs that have Islam as their state religion cannot have the "Universal Sufferage" Government civic (the way I understand it, women in Islam are more like a type of property and subject to the mens rule, but I an not an expert on the subject).

Hinduism requires the Caste System civic (Isn't Hinduism primarily in India, where a caste system is strongly prevalant?).

Other Religious Benifits:
          Islam suffers no war weariness when at war with civs of a different state religion (Jihad). Also spreads 20% faster.

I am sure there are more possibilities out there. More Religious unique units, more tensions, more restrictions, more benifits. I'm just not familier enough with all these religions to make stuff up. Give suggestions.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
            And Sessil, Islam spread quickly, but only through conquest.

Agreed with OzzyKP here, so perhaps the following for Islam:
            Cannot build missionaries, free missionaries through conquests*, lowered maintenance costs for cities**

*Chance to get a missionary through conquering cities - the larger and more cultured the city, the more missionares created.

** Something mild, like -10% - the justification? - the "Islamic Empire" spread from Spain to Indonesia in a very short time, this would resemble that in Civ.

Comment

I just posted this idea and missed this post. I teach religion in high school and am looking to create a very simple mod altering the bonuses to differ, money for one, tech for another, trade, production, etc... What file is this info. in?
              Asoka is a great leader.

Comment

On a side note, I am glad Firaxis introduced Asoka, one of the first openly pluralistic leaders.
                Asoka is a great leader.

Comment

Islam didnt spread because of conquest. Actually it took a while before non muslim areas were converted. Look at Albania for example. It took a while there but it happend peacefully and rarely forcefully. So i guess there should be missionairies but they give a science bonus aswell.
                  F 14 tomcat fanatic

Comment

I would give Islam bonuses WHEN converting/spreading the religion. While they used conquest in countries in Africa and India in particular, any religion of Abraham was respected (Christianity and Judaism). I once again implore for anyone to help us find the files the give these attributes as no one seems to know.
                    Asoka is a great leader.

Comment

You have to think about what effects these faiths have had overall, not just in recent history. For instance thinking that Muslims hate Jews really just goes back to that whole Israel/Palestine thing, in the grand scheme of history who DIDN'T pick on them?

I think in the grand scheme of things the effect of a religion has everything to do with who is holding the reins, thus your civic Religion choice is all there is to it. Do you want Judaism to be Pacifistic? Then choose that. Do you want to run a militant Buddhist nation? Choose Theocracy.

And of course these things do change over time as religious leaders come and go, it makes perfect sense that a Pacifistic religion can turn around and become a Theocracy, because that's really happened time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone_Jones_00
                        I just posted this idea and missed this post. I teach religion in high school and am looking to create a very simple mod altering the bonuses to differ, money for one, tech for another, trade, production, etc... What file is this info. in?
                        \Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4ReligionInfo.xml

Here you can change gold, research, and culture for each religion and differ it by whether state religion or not, and separately for the Holy City. You can also alter dissemination speed. Lower is faster, higher is slower.

You can also add/change free units here (e.g. Christianity gets a free miss, Judaism does not).

Already made some changes for my own games.

As for other changes mentioned in above posts, well you guys tell me! Looks like a dive into the deep waters of the python pool may be necessary.
                        Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

I agree with Donegeal and have been wanting to add religious tensions to cities with multiple religions. Furthermore we need a mechanism to combat this problem by removing religions from a city, much like the Inquisitor unit he suggests though I think I'd lean towards modifying theocracy to do this automatically. I'd also like to see the theocracy civic automatically spread religion to any new cities built/conquered while the civic is in place. If the religion is the government, wouldn't that religion be found throughout the empire?
                          Probably won't have any time to study python until semester break, but if no one's started on a mod for religious strife/removing religions then I'll try one then.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius

\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4ReligionInfo.xml

Here you can change gold, research, and culture for each religion and differ it by whether state religion or not, and separately for the Holy City.
                            How do you change the research--etc? Did you add new XML tags? I see nine commerce (trade route) options and nothing else.. I want to be able to add stuff if that's possible??

Comment

Working...
                            X