Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education - how does it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    In PatchMod, Snoopy made changes to the threshold increase (halved it I think) and we've enabled multiple graduations per turn in one city, instead of having to wait till next turn for the student to graudate. It really helps.

    Comment


    • #17
      Yea, I liked COL 1's education system. It made sense to set a teacher, and the higher end professions should require better buildings.

      I think it should tilt away from purchasing units. It makes sense that you purchase units to gain expertise you don't already have in your colonies or to rush build an efficient colony, but not be the primary method of getting citizens.

      Comment


      • #18
        Maybe the design is a covert social commentary on the state of our school system, i.e. the pay's better in the private sector for specialists so they don't become teachers, and the "watering-down" education effect is making schooling extend further and further into the average person's adult life.

        After all, Civ 4 had plenty of social commentary

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dale
          In PatchMod, Snoopy made changes to the threshold increase (halved it I think) and we've enabled multiple graduations per turn in one city, instead of having to wait till next turn for the student to graudate. It really helps.
          It is a big help.

          Comment


          • #20
            Welcome to Apolyton Berginyon.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

            Comment


            • #21
              OK, I'm used to the old system, where you put the specialist into the school (college, university), and sometime later a random colonist would sport the specialty.

              Now I put the colonist (criminal, servant) into the school (etc.) and he graduates with a new skill in a certain amount of time. The listed time is an advantage, since in Col, I just put them there and hoped.

              What I'm wondering is how do I control what specialty he gets? It's supposed to be from a specialist in the colony, but does the specialist have to be working at his specialty?

              For example, the colony with my main college is inland. If I want a new fisherman, can I send one from the coast and put him to work, say, making rum while waiting for the graduate to finish? Will that work?

              I have a college operating in such a location, and all the graduates are coming out expert farmers, even though I have a vet soldier working at the lumber mill. I'm not sure if that's because he's not working his specialty, or because you can't train soldiers.

              Oh, and I haven't finished my first game yet
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

              I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Father Beast
                What I'm wondering is how do I control what specialty he gets? It's supposed to be from a specialist in the colony, but does the specialist have to be working at his specialty?
                When the listed time is up, you will be given a list of options with all the available professions at that colony that you can afford. You then choose one, and voila, a new colonist with the chosen profession. When I say "that you can afford" it is because advanced professions, like the refining ones, statesmen and such (pretty much everything but lumberjacks, fishermen, ore miners and farmers) costs a certain amount of money to graduate, depending on difficulty and game speed setting. (On normal a statesman costs about 500 i believe).

                Originally posted by Father Beast For example, the colony with my main college is inland. If I want a new fisherman, can I send one from the coast and put him to work, say, making rum while waiting for the graduate to finish? Will that work?
                Yes, as long as he is Inside the colony (aka not a soldier fortified in the city, but actually working a building or plot), the fisherman will be able to teach his profession to other colonists.

                Originally posted by Father Beast I have a college operating in such a location, and all the graduates are coming out expert farmers, even though I have a vet soldier working at the lumber mill. I'm not sure if that's because he's not working his specialty, or because you can't train soldiers.
                It's because you can't train veteran soldiers anymore. However there is not that much need for them anyway, because unlike col1 they dont get an inherant combat bonus, just the +100 experience upgrade and rank1 strength (not sure about the 2nd, i know they get 2 upgrades, but not 100% sure what the 2nd was).

                Originally posted by Father Beast Oh, and I haven't finished my first game yet
                Good luck
                Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
                -Henrik Tikkanen

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by armyjournalist View Post
                  Maybe the design is a covert social commentary on the state of our school system, i.e. the pay's better in the private sector for specialists so they don't become teachers, and the "watering-down" education effect is making schooling extend further and further into the average person's adult life.

                  After all, Civ 4 had <I>plenty</I> of social commentary
                  Paid schools are worth so that we pay for them. Because of - there is a higher level of education in private schools than in simple schools. But we are not limited to paid schools. There is a necessity to pay for educational services - paper writing assistance services. But there are such companies as - https://oceanessay.com/assignment-writing-service/ which provide cheap services and also help with writing assignments !
                  The best assignment writing service for students. With OceanEssay you get 100% Plagiarism Free Papers, Unlimited Support and Timely Delivery. Order now!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X