No announcement yet.

Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you never make ANY offensive or hostile acts to the natives, I don't think they can go to war with you. Several games in a row I did nothing hostile to them and they never went to war with me, they would give away their cities as I encroached.

Two games in a row I decided to steal land, the natives later went to war.

Comment

That isn;t a bad design decision actually; so long as they are both equally viabale approaches, and it should take a couple of weeks at the minimum to decide on that issue.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
        Pedia showed the SoL as having the same stats as the Frigate except for the +50% vs. Frigs. Am I misremembering, or are they actually more effective vs. MoWs?
        I checked on this.

Man of Wars get a +50% versus frigates too, so Ships of the Line are a better choice.

MoW vs. SoL (no upgrades)

12 + 8 = 20

8/20 = 2/5 = .400

Compared to Frigates and Privateers.

MoW vs. Frig (no upgrades)

18 + 8 = 26

8/26 = 4/13 = .308

MoW vs. Privateer (no upgrades)

12 + 5 = 17

5/17 = .294

This is how combat works, right? I may be completely wrong about all this, but it looks like Privateers will get you the most bang for your buck. Especially because they're easier to afford and to unleash on your rivals and level up prior to DoI.

As far as Indians go, I've been pretty careful to keep them happy. It makes expansion real difficult though, since they claim territory far away from their towns. I've considered a stronger stance though.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure that's entirely valid, simply because promotions use the base strength as their modifier (so +10% for a frigate > +10% for a privateer, for example), but it's certainly something to keep in mind as a possibility. Some worldbuilder tests would be useful, I think.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch

I checked on this.

Man of Wars get a +50% versus frigates too, so Ships of the Line are a better choice.

MoW vs. SoL (no upgrades)

12 + 8 = 20

8/20 = 2/5 = .400

Compared to Frigates and Privateers.

MoW vs. Frig (no upgrades)

18 + 8 = 26

8/26 = 4/13 = .308

MoW vs. Privateer (no upgrades)

12 + 5 = 17

5/17 = .294

This is how combat works, right? I may be completely wrong about all this, but it looks like Privateers will get you the most bang for your buck. Especially because they're easier to afford and to unleash on your rivals and level up prior to DoI.

As far as Indians go, I've been pretty careful to keep them happy. It makes expansion real difficult though, since they claim territory far away from their towns. I've considered a stronger stance though.
            Wow. Thats kind... odd.

One of the first ships I buy is one of the most effective in the late game. Now, considering it is one of the most frequent ships involved in battles early on (great to steal and hamper other colonials), it may have some excellent promotions to narrow the gap more. A few of those could, at least stem the flow of REF lands and perhaps deflect some areas from attack.

Comment

Working...
            X