Why make the ultrasonic fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why make the ultrasonic fence

And please no one say it keeps the bugs out, I can read. However, I have never built one and after about 12 games I have never seen the bugs attack my city, so why spend the resources?

Mike

Protect your trade routes, which do get attacked, and to protect your terrain improvements from the worms.
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
      Protect your trade routes, which do get attacked, and to protect your terrain improvements from the worms.
      Definitely. Only way you can really use intercontinental Trade Routes.

Comment

Both are good benefits, but not worth building the fence. Sooner or later I'll take a city that has one and get the benefits. I don't do a lot of trade routes and worms are fish bait after a while.

Mike

Comment

Well, whatever. Sounds more like you've decided you're not going to build one, and that's that.

Really, you should be trading right from the beginning, when your units are really too weak to make it through the bugs to an enemy. The fence comes off a fairly early tech and is fairly cheap, so there's no reason not to build at least one. And any way, while one seems to be enough to protect your routes, each fence only protects one city from the worms, and they seem to spawn from land you can't see, not from nests.

Comment

I once lost my capital to a worm. That made me wish I built that fence. Also, protecting trade routes. Sea routes intercontinental edition is hard when you don't wear protection.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
              Well, whatever. Sounds more like you've decided you're not going to build one, and that's that.

Really, you should be trading right from the beginning, when your units are really too weak to make it through the bugs to an enemy. The fence comes off a fairly early tech and is fairly cheap, so there's no reason not to build at least one. And any way, while one seems to be enough to protect your routes, each fence only protects one city from the worms, and they seem to spawn from land you can't see, not from nests.

You're right, I was sounding a little to set in my ways, so I tried it your way. Built the fence and trade convoys. Nice until I started killing everyone.

Comment

Now I tried it my way, I isolated a station (surrounded by my outposts) and setup a trade convoy with no fence. I'm at turn 375 and my convoy has not been bothered.

Comment

Well, I'm glad for you. I've never been able to trade without it. If it works for you, keep on trucking.

Comment

I have to admit, I don't do a lot of trading. I almost always go warlord.

Comment

Trade is extremely OP, so you're missing out. One thing is early international trading can easily triple your science output, but internal trading is extremely strong too, easily giving much better production and growth.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                      X