Squares, Hexes, Octagons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squares, Hexes, Octagons...

forget about the spherical map discussion for right now, and the rammifications it has upon your decision, i'd like a purely aesthetic answer here also, don't stand on your soapbox about a tileless system. now is not the time.

which do you find more visually pleasing for tiles? squares? hexagons? octagons? other?

you can assume they'll be isometric (ie, a square in civ2/3) to enable a fake 3d effect.
    Squares
    36.33%
    Hexagons
    53.33%
    Octagons
    5.67%
    Other... please post.
    4.67%
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Octagons don't work.

Comment

Not only do octagons not tile, but they don't look good if you try to make them isometric.
      If the tiles are isometric, then hexagons look more natural than squares.
      American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
      I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
      Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
      XGalaga.

Comment

IMO, I have yet to hear a compelling argument that proves the clear superiority of hexes over square tiles. Squares actually provide a more accurate reflection of directional movement (8 tile choices, as opposed to 6 for hexes) - although hexes provide a more accurate indication of distance movement. But since maps are generally large in civ games, this reflection of distance movement is very minor - and since the AI is tied into the same rules of movement, there is no strategic gain.

It still amazes me how worked up people get on this issue because it does not affect gameplay all that much. It ultimately boils down to aesthetics.

I like squares because the world is divided by latitude/longitude, and I'd rather have the more accurate directional movement element.
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

What you see as squares are actually octagons. If hexagons were treated the way squares are, they would allow 12 directions of movement.
          American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
          I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
          Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
          XGalaga.

Comment

No you cannot treat hexagons as squares because there are no corners touching on a hex-grid map
            Attached Files
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

What I meant is that when you use octagons and display them as squares, some paths take one move when they could also take two moves. If you use dodecagons and display them as hexagons, you can move along the edges, thus allowing 12 directions.
              XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                What I meant is that when you use octagons and display them as squares, some paths take one move when they could also take two moves. If you use dodecagons and display them as hexagons, you can move along the edges, thus allowing 12 directions.
                i can see the mathematical backing for that, but wouldn't that just appear to be teleporting when looking at the game board itself?
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

You could have an octagonal tiling in non-euclidean space!

Comment

i can see the mathematical backing for that, but wouldn't that just appear to be teleporting when looking at the game board itself?

If the movement from one space to the next is spread across three or four frames it doesn't look like teleporting.
                    XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by Leland
                      You could have an octagonal tiling in non-euclidean space!
                      Its good to see another non-euclidean fan.

With the choices above, I'm still a hex believer.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

i still don't see how hexes would work, athestically anyway. in hex's image above:

if you moved up, you would follow the straight line going up until you hit the tile?

i mean, i can see how that would work, but it really doesnt give the impression that two units are next to eachother.

Comment

Hex movement is more accurate. When you go diagonal with squares you are moving at a speed of 1.414 relative to going up, down, or across.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                            Hex movement is more accurate. When you go diagonal with squares you are moving at a speed of 1.414 relative to going up, down, or across.
                            Well, this can be partially fixed by just assigning a larger movement cost to diagonals, like c-evo does. If there are enough movement points so that the remaining fractions are relatively small, squares+diagonals are actually more accurate than hexes. That is to say, "circles" in that space tend to be approximately octagons, whereas in a hex-map they'd be hexagons.

Comment

I prefer hexes because I find hex maps prettier than square maps.
                              Definitely, square maps need a 1.414 diagonal factor. Once you put it in, it's quite the same from a gameplay perspective.
                              I don't like the pseudo 2D isometric projection much, too, because I always found that the directions are hard to fing out. Hexes don't require an arbitrary 45° turn to give an idea of perspective.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                              X