Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Clash forum guestbook v.2

Jeremy Buloch
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    21:11
    It wont work corectly with my Windows 2000 pro. comp. I will test it on Linux soon when I get the chance. It wont let me right click on the units and wont let me move or do anything else. I have read the help in the game and the graphics look cool. Overall its good. I only wish I could play it.
    -J.B.-
    Naval Imperia Designer

Mark_Everson
    Clash of Civilizations Project Lead Mark_Everson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    23:11

Unhappy

Hey Jeremy, boy does that suck! Can you post the same think in the D7 Comments thread? Maybe someone will see it and have a suggestion as to what might work as a fix.

targon
    Prince
    Country
    This is targon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    07:11
    Hey, people, I'm new here, so don't feel shy to blame on my pesky questions.
    In fact, I'm artist from the Stella Polaris team but this job seems to be not err... dense, especialy without a line of published code or documentation. So some people suggested me to look at Clash, as you may need some more graphics. OK, Clash seems to even work, has website, on-line docs and so on. It gives completely new, refreshing feeling.
    So let me ask several questions about the Clash:
    Q1) Why you scare people with Window$ download links while the game is in fact cross-platform?
    Q2) You're tied with really slow bytecode language, Java (mention about languages other than Lisp was censored), so Clash manages to "brake" even on fast mashines. So what about some speed-ups (like native compiling etc)?
    Q3) Does the game closely tied with ancient theme or it's only the current state?

Q4) If you need some graphics, please suggest that kind of and what size. Current game tiles, particulary unit sprites, are somewhat small. Some increase, say 150%, will surely inprove overall game outlook and reduce headashe due to manipulating microscopic tokens on modern big monitors.
    Q5) Do you plan to employ graphics other than tiles, for example splash screens, wonders, gamecyclopedia etc?
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Hi targon, glad you checked Clash out! I've seen your 3D ship and other graphics on the SP site. Very cool! I'll give some brief answers to your pesky questions .

Originally posted by targon
    Q1) Why you scare people with Window$ download links while the game is in fact cross-platform?
    We should kill some of that. The problem is that the only platform we could provide guidance for was Win. But we should take the Win out of those links at a minimum.

Q2) You're tied with really slow bytecode language, Java (mention about languages other than Lisp was censored), so Clash manages to "brake" even on fast mashines. So what about some speed-ups (like native compiling etc)?
    We don't know what is causing the graphical problems on certain reasonably fast machines. Please remember that the Clash that is out now is a pre-alpha version that has had absolutely no speed optimizations of any sort. We will do what we have to to make the game run acceptably fast on reasonably modern machines before v1.0

Q3) Does the game closely tied with ancient theme or it's only the current state?
    Current state. The modern world is where a lot of the interesting stuff happens!

Q4) If you need some graphics, please suggest that kind of and what size.
    Thanks for the offer! Best would be to put your offer in both of the most recent graphics threads so others will see it. From my own perspective we could use better images for economic specials (gold, etc.) than those in D7.2. See the Map Graphics Thread part III if you're interested. The other thread is Unit Graphics 2.

Current game tiles, particulary unit sprites, are somewhat small. Some increase, say 150%, will surely inprove overall game outlook and reduce headashe due to manipulating microscopic tokens on modern big monitors.
    An increase is certainly possible. The other side of that coin is that we want to show the player a reasonably large bit of the map at one time. One good time to switch the unit graphics size spec would be when we go to polygons (Demo 9?). One thing you could do is show how much better you could do than what we have now with that extra 50% size.

Q5) Do you plan to employ graphics other than tiles, for example splash screens, wonders, gamecyclopedia etc?
    Yes, probably all of these in the long run. Plus also accent bits for the GUI.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

LDiCesare
    Emperor
    Country
    This is LDiCesare's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    06:11
    Current game tiles, particulary unit sprites, are somewhat small. Some increase, say 150%, will surely inprove overall game outlook and reduce headashe due to manipulating microscopic tokens on modern big monitors.
    Images are actually zoomed in the code. So, for example for units, you can draw them as big as you like, they will be scaled based on the size of a tile. I think the image should roughly be square in order to be scaled nicely, but am not sure.
    I like the small tiles, but a zoom function should certainly be done (later).

And yes we must remove the Win$ stuff on the web.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

LFS
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is LFS's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    04:11
    Java rocks. It's cross platform , OO

sorry I'm a 100% java convert

java 1.4 is excellent for graphic - full screen exclusive mode produces awesome results, I had to slow down my simple space invaders game when I tried it in Full screen mode!

Some increase, say 150%, will surely inprove overall game outlook and reduce headashe due to manipulating microscopic tokens on modern big monitors.
    gotta agree , I prefer bigger graphics, however, having only just 'joined' up as well one has to accept the decisions of all those who worked on the project previously.

On similar note I dislike the look of 'windowed games' and all those moveable internal frames, but note above applies.

targon
    Prince
    Country
    This is targon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by LFS

...however, having only just 'joined' up as well one has to accept the decisions of all those who worked on the project previously.
    Of course, but does it include obvious mistakes. For example, you "trireme" tile. Spell its name. Tri-reme. "Tri" here means 3 linear arrays of oars, each side. But I can score just ~1.5 "remes". Of course, poor soul forced to draw something in 40x30 pixels can't draw anything neat-looking. Proper drawing of application icons is an art in its own right, and I think its laws can hardly be applied to unit tokens, as they features are very different.
    OK, I'll draw reasonable big tiles (if you actualy need something), and you may downsample it even to single pixel.
    Returning to my previous post, do you need new unit graphics and what kind (if any)? Possible, move on something medival, or ancient theme needs some extension and overhaul?

LDiCesare
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    There is one reason why I like windowed games (not talking about the look of the various windows): It lets me look at the clock in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Helps preventing getting to sleep at 2 AM.
    But then MOO3 has an alarm system which warns you when it is too late.
    And we probably won't have separate windows like now when the game is finished, we'll have to think all the GUI over at some point (still far in the future).
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

LFS
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is LFS's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    It lets me look at the clock in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Helps preventing getting to sleep at 2 AM.
    can't argue with that - how many times have I still been up at sunrise

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time

Smile

Originally posted by targon
    Of course, poor soul forced to draw something in 40x30 pixels can't draw anything neat-looking. Proper drawing of application icons is an art in its own right, and I think its laws can hardly be applied to unit tokens, as they features are very different.
    OK, I'll draw reasonable big tiles (if you actualy need something), and you may downsample it even to single pixel.
    Returning to my previous post, do you need new unit graphics and what kind (if any)? Possible, move on something medival, or ancient theme needs some extension and overhaul?
    Hi Targon:

This discussion is something I would like to move into the current unit graphics thread (see link in my post above). Discussions here will be lost in time, whereas in the graphics thread we will easily be able to find them, and people concerned with graphics will be able to see your ideas.

Could you move your post above to the graphics thread? I will post some requests there.

Thanks for volunteering to do some work!

Mark

Ironikinit
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Hi. It will take me a while to play the demos and do the reading but I'm looking forward to it. It's a great project. I wish everyone involved success.
    Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Henrik
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Finally got Mac OS X and thus I am able to download the demo.
    I'm having problems though (posted about it in the demo thread)
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Rasbelin
    Country
    This is Rasbelin's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Just checking how things are going. Looking forward for the next demo.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Westergaard
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is Westergaard's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    05:11
    I'm a lurker. Just wanted to declare my presence

Seriously.. Been following the game quite a few years now and just happened to stumble over your website again. And I must say - nice work! Thought you guys might need a little cheering.

Looking forward to future demo-releases.

LDiCesare
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time

Thumbs up

Thought you guys might need a little cheering.
    Thanks a lot. It does help morale!

VetLegion
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Signed.

I wont comment anything of substance at the moment, but since it's a guestbook I thought I'd sign it.

And one for the most stubborn alt civ project ever.

R1gm
    Settler
    Country
    This is R1gm's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Well, this is simply one (if not the) most interesting project I've ever seen... If this game is one day finished, it'll definely enter my top5 games ever... I'm just afraid it dies because of demotivation... so, everybody who's in the devteam, please know you've a lot of fans ! Don't give up ! Such a game would have a really big impact on the civ gamers community...

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Hi R1gm, Thanks for your words of support!

Hlingler
    Country
    This is Hlingler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Seems that nobody's bothered to say hello in quite a while, so: Hello! This is my first visit to this forum, and I hope I'm not too late! The "Clash Of Civs" project looks great, and I hope it continues. Good work, & good luck.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." EB Hall, "Friends of Voltaire", 1906

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Thanks for signing in! Things are not moving forward much at the moment, so there's not much to talk about. Hopefully it'll pick up in a bit.

Sean
    Prince
    Country
    This is Sean's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    That would be great!

Sean.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

jursamaj
    Settler
    Country
    This is jursamaj's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    00:11
    Well, I found Clash while looking at Civ-type games. I've been playing them for over 20 years now, and as we all know, the commercial developers have pretty much abandoned TBS.

I have so many ideas I'd like to do in a Civ, but finding time to do them is near-impossible. Clash incorporates some things I like, such as dealing with provinces instead of fixed-radius cities. Sadly, it seems the developers don't have much time either, as the current Demo (8.1) has been up for a years now. javascript:smilie('')

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Yeah, we're pretty much dead in the water. Good luck on finding a good TBS fix!

Tellius
    Country
    This is Tellius's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Hi,

Dead in the water? Damn, I was looking forward to this thing, it would have been a thing of beauty. It's a shame of all the work already put in there.

I 'found' this project only a few months ago, and was immediately enthousiastic about it. The more I read about it, the more I wanted a final version of this - ultimate civ - game. The sophistication in it would have been unprecedented.

I can offer only graphical help. I just bought Bryce 6 for making tiles (for Call to Power 2 AE, but it'll work of course for any tile in any game) and can work pretty well with photoshop. Just drop me a mail if you guys can muster up the courage to take off where you stopped.

Greetz

Tellius
    Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

LDiCesare
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    It's not entirely a question of courage. I cannot work on this project for the moment because of my current job contract. But then this may change in a few months. Now, with people more enthusiastic about civ IV, I am not sure whether it'll be worth spending time on Clash again.

Tellius
    Country
    This is Tellius's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 25, 2014
    Local Time
    Hi,

I can't think of a reason why Civ4 would take interest away from your project. When I read the post with the overview of goals you guys aim at, Clash will be one unique civ game, entirely different from what exists right now. The level of interaction with people (classes), political fractions etc is unprecedented.

Anyway, people will be looking for something new anyways in a few months, even Civ4 won't stay new and fresh forever.

Again, drop me a mail for any graphical work if you need someone.

Tellius

Mark_Everson
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Thanks for the support and the offer to work on gfx Tellius. If some java coders show up to push things forward we'll get in touch.

Hi Laurent, hope that things are going well with you!
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2