Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Maher: Islam is inherently worse than other religions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felch View Post
    I've got evidence. 23 Muslim countries punish apostasy. No Christian countries do.
    You mean... the Vatican?

Apostasy is forbidden by Islamic scriptures. Christianity makes no such prohibition.
    I like how you think you are being subtle here . Why didn't you say Christian Scriptures... is it due to the existence of these verses?

Deuteronomy 13:6-9
    6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people.
    Deuteronomy 17:3-5
    3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky, 4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.
    You may say that these are the Old Testament, but as Christians these are part of our Scriptures as well and important in our faith life (the Old Testament I mean, not these particular verses ).
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; September 12, 2014, 11:46.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I've got evidence. 23 Muslim countries punish apostasy. No Christian countries do. Apostasy is forbidden by Islamic scriptures. Christianity makes no such prohibition.
      You've obviously never met some grandmothers.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        There are a half dozen or so countries where. Muslims have a terrorist presence, and they make up a distinct minority. People like you and Maher are significant contributors to terrorist goals.
        Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
        Seriously though Oerdin, have you considered talking to a therapist to help you work through the irrational and open hostility toward Muslims your time in Iraq left you with?
        Oerdin: so wrong that even slowwy and dinodoc seem reasonable.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Show me a poll the shows a majority of Christians supporting the death penalty for apostasy.
          Show me a proof that the Christian religion would be the cause proper.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            There are a half dozen or so countries where. Muslims have a terrorist presence, and they make up a distinct minority. People like you and Maher are significant contributors to terrorist goals.
            It's more than a half dozen, but only because in those parts of the world borders aren't that meaningful.

Comment

The only thing that makes Islam worse than other religions is that lampooning Muhammad was foreseen by Muhammad so he said "No graven images, I got a rep to protect"
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Sure, Islam promotes violence in some ways, but Islam isn't going away and bashing Muslims isn't going to make them less likely to be violent.

Sure, Catholicism promotes violence in some ways, but Catholicism isn't going away and bashing Catholics isn't going to make them less likely to be violent.

etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  Akron specifically says apostates must be executed.
                  ****, Guy, you should move.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

More seriously, Islam is, uh, problematic in a way most other major religions are not: the Prophet himself did a number of things we would today classify as war crimes, and the bulk of what we now call "the Muslim world" was won and forcibly subdued by conquest. Looks kinda shabby when compared to the Buddha or Jesus. However, it's painfully obvious that most of said Muslim world's population is not inclined to violence, and that much of the violence which does exist is due to extremely complicated historic-socio-economico-politco-whatsit factors which are hard to compress to sound bites so LOOK AT SOME CHERRYPICKED KORAN VERSES!
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

And yet, the Vatican does not proscribe the death penalty for apostasy..............
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        I don't think anyone has answered this. ISIL is probably a better translation from Arabic - it stands for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Media has decided to call it Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, because it doesn't think most Americans know what the Levant is.
                        No, MORON, it's because calling them ISIL CONCEDES TO THEM THAT THEY ARE THE ISLAMIC STATE OF THE LEVANT, WHICH IS LAND THAT INCLUDES ISRAEL AND TURKEY CALLING THEM ISIS MORE ACCURATELY REFLECTS WHAT TERRITORY THEY HAVE -- THE GHETTO THAT IS IRAQ AND SYRIA. YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN OBAMA AND STEPHEN SOTLOFFS MOTHER, CALLING THEM THE CALIPHATE AND ISIL AND ALL OF WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR FOR PROPAGANDA PURPOISES GO ON CALLING AMERICANS IGNORANT AND FAT, THE SAME OLD TIRED JOKES ABOUT THE REDSKINS TOO, YOU INDIANS SHOULD BE TRIED FOR TREASON :MAD:

Comment

I vote for the Aztec Religion as the worst religion.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            You mean... the Vatican?
                            Clergy are subject to internal discipline for apostasy, but that's a completely different matter. The worst thing the Church will do to an apostate priest is fire him. What's the worst thing that could happen to you if you went to Islamabad and preached the Good News?

I like how you think you are being subtle here . Why didn't you say Christian Scriptures... is it due to the existence of these verses?

Deuteronomy 13:6-9

Deuteronomy 17:3-5

You may say that these are the Old Testament, but as Christians these are part of our Scriptures as well and important in our faith life (the Old Testament I mean, not these particular verses ).
                            You're being more than a little disingenuous here, Imran. Or do you believe that Christianity also teaches that homosexuals should be put to death?
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                              Show me a proof that the Christian religion would be the cause proper.
                              I don't understand what you mean by "cause proper." I assume it's some philosophy jargon.

I can only point out facts. There is textual evidence in the Hadiths to support the Islamist claim that apostasy is punishable by death. There are 23 Muslim countries where anti-apostasy laws are on the books. There is nothing in Christianity that calls for apostasy to be punished. There are no Christian countries where anti-apostasy laws are on the books (excluding the Holy See, where the punishment is being fired from the priesthood).
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

You're being more than a little disingenuous here, Imran. Or do you believe that Christianity also teaches that homosexuals should be put to death?
                                I thought the death penalty for homosexuality used to be the norm in Christendom?

Comment

Working...
                                X