Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-Irish people celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do non-Irish people celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

With St. Patrick's Day coming soon, I got into an interesting discussion with others on someone else's Facebook page about how people from other cultures/ethnic groups have co-opted another culture's holiday or event.

I have mixed feelings about this, so I like discussions about this, to help me make better sense of it. Let's take St. Patrick's Day for example. Why do non-Irish people celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I think many people have degraded the cultural heritage and significance of St. Patrick's Day as an excuse for rowdiness and drunk behavior. Then you have others who wear plastic, green bowler hats, green costume accessories with flashing lights, and so on which to me, seems to cheapen the meaning of St. Patrick's Day.

Let's take another example. I'm not black, and I never celebrate Kwanzaa. You will never see me insult black people by wearing blackface makeup and celebrate Kwanzaa by going to one bar after another, getting drunk off my ass. That's not how you celebrate Kwanzaa.

Another example is why do atheists celebrate Christmas? Is it because many atheists get caught up in the materialistic/commercial part of the holiday, completely ignoring the REASON for celebrating Christmas? Don't get me wrong - I like gift exchange as part of Christmas because the three wise men had originally brought gifts to Jesus after he was born, and for the general spirit of sharing.

So can others help me make sense of this, in how people of other cultures co-opt another culture/ethnic group's holiday/event for other entirely unrelated reasons to the meaning of the holiday/event?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Why do non-Irish people celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
    Because they are idiots?
    Or just because it is fun?
    WTF cares?

Comment

Because everyone like another getting drunk with props day.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post

Another example is why do atheists celebrate Christmas? Is it because many atheists get caught up in the materialistic/commercial part of the holiday, completely ignoring the REASON for celebrating Christmas?

Christmas is a pagan festival, with Christian bits unconvincingly tacked on and often forgotten.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I hate St. Patrick's Day. It's the worst ****ing holiday. Worse than ****ing Valentine's Day.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Another excuse for getting pissed?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
              Christmas is a pagan festival, with Christian bits unconvincingly tacked on and often forgotten.
              Yep, going farther back in history, Christians co-opted aspects of pagan winter holidays/events, creating what we know as Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                Because everyone like another getting drunk with props day.
                yeah

Comment

Because the holidays you mentioned have largely taken on a life of their own separate from their purpose. Valentine's Day is the most obvious of these; but really most major holidays have very little to do with their original purpose. Christmas is about presents and Santa Claus, Easter is about candy, eggs, and the Easter Bunny, St Pat's Day is about beer and green things. Blame corporations to some extent (creating hype to sell more product); blame people to some extent (tending toward social activities).
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Because there needs to be something between Mardi Gras and Cinco de Mayo.
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      Because the holidays you mentioned have largely taken on a life of their own separate from their purpose. Valentine's Day is the most obvious of these; but really most major holidays have very little to do with their original purpose. Christmas is about presents and Santa Claus, Easter is about candy, eggs, and the Easter Bunny, St Pat's Day is about beer and green things. Blame corporations to some extent (creating hype to sell more product); blame people to some extent (tending toward social activities).
                      Doesn't all this cheapen people's cultures or heritage though?

Comment

I came in this thread to say "to get drunk" but I see that point has already been made repeatedly.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post

Why blame anyone? The boring God-bothering bits get dropped, but fun bits are kept.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I use St. Patty's Day to enjoy a bit of Black Bush.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

MrFun have you ever met any Irish person who actually got offended by St. Patricks day shenanigans?

Comment

Working...
                              X