A Song Of Ice And Fire: book discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Song Of Ice And Fire: book discussion thread

Separate thread for the books, by the request of many.

Three chapters into Book 4, and the only character that I've seen before is the eminently unlikable religious fanatic Damphair. This bodes poorly.

I am looking forward to discovering Littlefinger's angle in all that he's done.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Damphair

That's quality character naming.

Comment

How many threads do you need on this fantasy book?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

How many threads do you need on your failures as a human being? I think you both should be allowed as many threads as you want...

Comment

It deserves at least one thread for each book in the series.... maybe except for A Feast for Crows, which was somewhat weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
            How many threads do you need on your failures as a human being? I think you both should be allowed as many threads as you want...
            That is a good point

I retract my previous comment. It was in bad taste. Sorry.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Guy: well you'll see Asha Greyjoy shortly, hard not to love her after the epicness of her first appearance

There's also a number of chapters with all new characters in Dorne.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                Separate thread for the books, by the request of many.

Three chapters into Book 4, and the only character that I've seen before is the eminently unlikable religious fanatic Damphair. This bodes poorly.

Um - would you ever find a religious fanatic that you WOULD like?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh View Post
                  Guy: well you'll see Asha Greyjoy shortly, hard not to love her after the epicness of her first appearance

There's also a number of chapters with all new characters in Dorne.
                  I was hoping to see more of her, she seemed pretty kickass in her brief appearance in book two.

Comment

A couple thoughts that have been bothering me, one of which I expect to get resolved, the other just seems sloppy:

Many, many characters have hinted at (or outright stated) that Rheagar Targaryen was a pretty awesome dude before Robert killed him at Ruby Ford, and he lacked his father's more unsavory traits. Yet, we've also been told/hinted that he raped Ned's sister to death. Something doesn't add up, and I look forward to the resolution.

Just sloppy: how exactly did a tough, grim couple like Ned and Catelyn raise a child as simperingly awful as Sansa? Maybe she gets better in book four, but god damn... she is clearly the black sheep.

Comment

I think that Rheagar was accused of rape, but it was actually an elopement. I don't think it's directly stated, but it's a popular theory.

Sansa is the least impressive Stark, but she's more a product of unrealistic upbringing than anything else. She was isolated from the realities of the world, and raised to be a model princess. She's an example of how heroic characters like the Starks have no place in a grittier more realistic story.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

At the beginning we only have Robert Baratheon perspective regarding Rhaegar, which he loathes with all his soul (jeaulosy maybe?) but later on we get other impressions. In one point Cersei would say that "Tywin Lannister was cheered twice as loud for him as they did for Aerys Targaryen, but half as much as they did for Rhaegar" (not a literal quote).

There is also a theory that suggests a relationship between Rhaegar Targaryen and Jon Snow. In the ASoIF forums it is the most regarded explanation for Jon Snow origins. There are quite a lot of subtle hints that point in that direction.

Comment

That is the most fun theory. I have a feeling that Dany and Jon will link up at some point (and not just because of the Targaryen tradition of sisters marrying brothers). Assume that Stannis at the wall, along with Mellisandre, along with Dany's dragons are really going to be needed for the big battle against the Others. Zombie Catelyn as well, being as her resurrection was affected by the power of R'hillor, if I remember what Beric was talking about.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            IIRC, he isn't A Feast For Crows. But likely to be more explained in Dance With Dragons (only a month now!)
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Back in the day I liked the animated movie fire and ice. It was sort of AD&D-esque and all my friends liked AD&D.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X