Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 77 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 810 of 2746

Thread: A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

  1. #781
    Lorizael
    Deity Lorizael's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Sep 2001
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Posts
    11,981
    Country
    This is Lorizael's Country Flag
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 119 Times in 85 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Her body is all out of proportion.
    Discuss the latest Civilization: Beyond Earth news here!
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

  2. #782
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course it can't get the same ratings as it isn't available in anywhere near as many households. To imply low ratings are a result of less than par quality is, I repeat, laughable (and you know it).
    Now you are grasping at straws. Mad Men has horrible ratings for CABLE shows.

    All you've done is name a couple of cable shows that might have possibly been considered for broadcast TV at one time. To imply they both could have and would have been the same as the versions that DID actually air on cable is conjecture at best.

    The closest we have is Sopranos and the atrocity it became when edited for "regular" TV. I have no idea why you think this particular argument supports your point.
    As anyone knows, dubbing for curse words never works and taking out sex scenes whole hog, instead of, say showing the same scenes without nudity as if they would if it is originally on cable (A&E IS CABLE!) dampers things.

    A good example is the HBO show "Dream On". The creators did 2 versions - one with nudity and one without for broadcast showing down the line and guess what it did air on broadcast TV (one season on FOX).

    Btw, do you still think that Breaking Bad has too much violence on TV considering (and this is a show I did forget), FOX had "24", which included torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said the last few years and you have now conceded the point. Thank you.
    Way to be overly pedantic and engaged in picky selection indicating your complete and utter failure to prove your point.

    How about for musicals? Drama is the category that counts.
    So you are conceding you are wrong?

    After all, plenty of comedy is far better than the vast majority of drama. Exhibit A: Community.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 13, 2012 at 23:52.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  3. #783
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    13,740
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    But think of how awesome Community would be if it had nudity and swearing?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  4. #784
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I restate: Why are you entitled to get something for free?
    I never said I was.

    My complaint is there's no way for me to give them my money!!!!
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  5. #785
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    I am angry because I want to give the money and they make it impossible for me to do so.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  6. #786
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    Except wait a year. This is 2012 not 1812, I don't have to wait for them to physically ship it by boat from America.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  7. #787
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now you are grasping at straws. Mad Men has horrible ratings for CABLE shows.
    We switched from Breaking Bad to Mad Men did we? Of course the cable shows have fewer viewers, they are in far fewer homes. You can't get around this fact despite continuing to ignore it. Also, I don't know why anyone is watching Mad Men so don't expect me to pump that one up.

    As anyone knows, dubbing for curse words never works and taking out sex scenes whole hog, instead of, say showing the same scenes without nudity as if they would if it is originally on cable (A&E IS CABLE!) dampers things.

    A good example is the HBO show "Dream On". The creators did 2 versions - one with nudity and one without for broadcast showing down the line and guess what it did air on broadcast TV (one season on FOX).


    So it makes a difference then? Once again you concede the point.


    Way to be overly pedantic and engaged in picky selection indicating your complete and utter failure to prove your point.


    It's not overly pedantic to say you can't compare when no comparison exists. If cable wasn't making shows ten years ago how can you compare theme to broadcast shows of ten years ago?


    So you are conceding you are wrong?

    After all, plenty of comedy is far better than the vast majority of drama. Exhibit A: Community.


    No, I'm saying you have picked a red herring. When I claim elevated levels of permissible violence is a part of the reason for cables success it is hardly fair to pick a genre that doesn't lend itself to violence as your go-to example. Particularly when comedy isn't what they predominantly show (we weren't talking about the Comedy Network). Why not musicals? Hell, pick reality shows as your example and you can trounce me.

    Your own post confirmed cable has a virtually lock on both genies and golden globes for several years now. Cable has arrived and they have taken over.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  8. #788
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    The 2012 Golden Globe nominee list:


    BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

    AMERICAN HORROR STORY (FX)

    BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO)

    BOSS (STARZ)

    GAME OF THRONES (HBO)

    HOMELAND (SHOWTIME)


    Another sweep.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  9. #789
    DinoDoc
    Deity DinoDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Sep 1999
    Location
    Underwater no one can hear sharks scream
    Posts
    16,498
    Country
    This is DinoDoc's Country Flag
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 123 Times in 105 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except wait a year. This is 2012 not 1812, I don't have to wait for them to physically ship it by boat from America.
    I've never understood why HBO is opposed to Hulu and/or Netflix. They could put up the entire season 6 months after it aired on their channel and load the DVD up with extras when they would normally release it and mute these complaints.
    I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
    For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio

  10. #790
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    I'm sure Imran is right that they feel they are protecting their subscription income.

    I think people who want to watch the latest version of the show when aired will either pay to have a subscription, or pirate, whether the Netflix and Blu-Ray comes out 3 months after the season or a year after the season.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  11. #791
    Felch
    Emperor Felch's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Sep 2001
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    7,655
    Country
    This is Felch's Country Flag
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    What if you're subscribed, but you pirate anyways for the convenience of having your own copy?
    Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

  12. #792
    Felch
    Emperor Felch's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Sep 2001
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    7,655
    Country
    This is Felch's Country Flag
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    In a similar vein, is it moral to record TV? DVRs cut into sales of DVDs, since fans of the show can watch whenever they want without buying expensive boxed sets.
    Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

  13. #793
    Lorizael
    Deity Lorizael's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Sep 2001
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Posts
    11,981
    Country
    This is Lorizael's Country Flag
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 119 Times in 85 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Felch, that's moral because the law says it is.
    Discuss the latest Civilization: Beyond Earth news here!
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

  14. #794
    Felch
    Emperor Felch's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Sep 2001
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    7,655
    Country
    This is Felch's Country Flag
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Oh, okay. I'm not a lawyer, so sometimes I have a hard time telling right from wrong.
    Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

  15. #795
    Bugs ****ing Bunny
    Emperor Bugs ****ing Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Aug 2000
    Location
    Howling at the moon
    Posts
    6,662
    Country
    This is Bugs ****ing Bunny's Country Flag
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 114 Times in 53 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    19:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 2012 Golden Globe nominee list:


    BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

    AMERICAN HORROR STORY (FX)

    BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO)

    BOSS (STARZ)

    GAME OF THRONES (HBO)

    HOMELAND (SHOWTIME)


    Another sweep.

    I thought "American Horror Story" was rubbish. Can't argue with the rest of those, though.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

  16. #796
    Krill
    Deity Krill's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2003
    Location
    of Spam
    Posts
    14,020
    Country
    This is Krill's Country Flag
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Krill
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and no one cares about what you think Guy. We'll pirate it because we want to watch it. Our cares stop right there. We'd prefer to buy it (a personal feeling based on whatever) but pragmatically if it's a choice between not watching it and being a criminal, most people will chose to be a criminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynemer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that is ****ing pathetic.
    ...and no one cares about what you think Guy. We'll pirate it because we want to watch it. Our cares stop right there. We'd prefer to buy it (a personal feeling based on whatever) but pragmatically if it's a choice between not watching it and being a criminal, most people will chose to be a criminal.
    .
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

  17. #797
    DaShi
    Emperor DaShi's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Sep 2000
    Location
    The Taste of Japan
    Posts
    7,886
    Country
    This is DaShi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    362
    Thanked 157 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Felch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a similar vein, is it moral to record TV? DVRs cut into sales of DVDs, since fans of the show can watch whenever they want without buying expensive boxed sets.
    Not if it's NFL games.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

  18. #798
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDoc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never understood why HBO is opposed to Hulu and/or Netflix. They could put up the entire season 6 months after it aired on their channel and load the DVD up with extras when they would normally release it and mute these complaints.
    Netflix asked, but HBO asked for very high fees - so much that Netflix would have to charge $10 more per month (or something like that). HBO lives & dies on its subscriber fees.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  19. #799
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If cable wasn't making shows ten years ago how can you compare theme to broadcast shows of ten years ago?
    Wasn't making shows?! 10 Years ago was the heyday of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under and Sex & the City. People were saying HBO was entering into a dark age when those shows ended (with dreak like John in Cincinnati it was hard to argue).

    When I claim elevated levels of permissible violence is a part of the reason for cables success it is hardly fair to pick a genre that doesn't lend itself to violence as your go-to example.
    And my example of 24? 24 had far more violence than Breaking Bad can hope for.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  20. #800
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    It's not violence, violence is endemic on US network TV, it's the puritanical attitude to nudity that stops networks showing anything that'll cause Christian groups to write to advertisers.

    Which is insane BTW. Boobs good violence bad.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  21. #801
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't making shows?! 10 Years ago was the heyday of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under and Sex & the City. People were saying HBO was entering into a dark age when those shows ended (with dreak like John in Cincinnati it was hard to argue).
    One channel, HBO. The trailblazer.

    You know the explosion of cable shows happened recently. And you call me pedantic?



    And my example of 24? 24 had far more violence than Breaking Bad can hope for.
    Didn't watch it. Maybe it did. If I'm not mistaken, 24 was one of the few broadcast shows to win any awards recently. Hardly indicative of the channel however.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  22. #802
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One channel, HBO. The trailblazer.

    You know the explosion of cable shows happened recently. And you call me pedantic?
    Which channel is Game of Thrones on?

    Didn't watch it. Maybe it did. If I'm not mistaken, 24 was one of the few broadcast shows to win any awards recently. Hardly indicative of the channel however.
    You mean along with Lost and that huge example of violence, The West Wing.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  23. #803
    Lorizael
    Deity Lorizael's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Sep 2001
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Posts
    11,981
    Country
    This is Lorizael's Country Flag
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 119 Times in 85 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    West Wing featured a liberal president who probably ate the children of prominent capitalists for breakfast. The violence was implied.
    Discuss the latest Civilization: Beyond Earth news here!
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

  24. #804
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    Cameron's recent visit has put me in mind of The West Wing in the episodes dealing with the Brits.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  25. #805
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which channel is Game of Thrones on?
    Not Showtime, Starz, AMC or any of the other Cable channels currently making original programming that weren't making it 10 years ago. HBO is just maintaining their fine record.


    You mean along with Lost and that huge example of violence, The West Wing.
    And there you go again... :sigh:

    West Wing won in 2001. Lost in 2005. Neither has been nominated since 2006.

    Way to stay current Imran.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  26. #806
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    2006: Grey's Anatomy - ABC

    24 - Fox
    Big Love - HBO
    Heroes- NBC
    Lost - ABC

    2007: Mad Men - AMC

    Big Love - HBO
    Damages - FX
    Grey's Anatomy - ABC
    House - Fox
    The Tudors - Showtime

    2008: Mad Men - AMC

    Dexter - Showtime
    House - Fox
    In Treatment - HBO
    True Blood - HBO

    2009: Mad Men - AMC

    Big Love - HBO
    Dexter - Showtime
    House - Fox
    True Blood - HBO

    2010: Boardwalk Empire - HBO
    Dexter - Showtime
    The Good Wife - CBS
    Mad Men - AMC
    The Walking Dead - AMC

    2011: Homeland - Showtime
    American Horror Story - FX
    Boardwalk Empire - HBO
    Boss - Starz
    Game of Thrones - HBO



    2006 was the last year broadcast fared well.

    I guess you could argue it's a slump and not a trend.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

  27. #807
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Showtime is still considered the bastard child of HBO. It has decent stuff like the first season of Weeds, Dexter, and, apparently, Homeland, but not nearly on par. Starz is just funny. AMC makes good stuff, but you just called their criticall most successful show and the one that won those 4 straight Emmy's to be not that good (so pick an argument - do award shows determine value or not?).

    As for West Wing - winner of 4 straight Drama Emmys from 2000 to 2003. I didn't realize 10 years ago was "not current".
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  28. #808
    Imran Siddiqui
    Sports Forum Moderator Imran Siddiqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Dec 1969
    Location
    on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree
    Posts
    37,300
    Country
    This is Imran Siddiqui's Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 114 Times in 100 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    14:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wezil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2006: Grey's Anatomy - ABC

    24 - Fox
    Big Love - HBO
    Heroes- NBC
    Lost - ABC

    2007: Mad Men - AMC

    Big Love - HBO
    Damages - FX
    Grey's Anatomy - ABC
    House - Fox
    The Tudors - Showtime

    2008: Mad Men - AMC

    Dexter - Showtime
    House - Fox
    In Treatment - HBO
    True Blood - HBO

    2009: Mad Men - AMC

    Big Love - HBO
    Dexter - Showtime
    House - Fox
    True Blood - HBO

    2010: Boardwalk Empire - HBO
    Dexter - Showtime
    The Good Wife - CBS
    Mad Men - AMC
    The Walking Dead - AMC

    2011: Homeland - Showtime
    American Horror Story - FX
    Boardwalk Empire - HBO
    Boss - Starz
    Game of Thrones - HBO



    2006 was the last year broadcast fared well.

    I guess you could argue it's a slump and not a trend.
    You realize you are citing an Awards Show that gave their Best Drama prize to GREY'S ANATOMY one year, right?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

  29. #809
    MikeH
    OTF Moderator MikeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 1999
    Location
    Jesus on a Velociraptor
    Posts
    13,260
    Country
    This is MikeH's Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    18:25
    I support Wezil on this. I think the last 2 or 3 years have marked a big change. A few years ago there were great "must watch" shows from the networks. But I can't think of any new ones that started in the last few years. House is still great but that's ending, that's the only one I can think of.

    And it's not just cable networks it's pretty much entirely HBO and Showtime.

    Homeland is currently screening here, it's great.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

  30. #810
    Wezil
    Deity Wezil's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 1999
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,443
    Country
    This is Wezil's Country Flag
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 41 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Showtime is still considered the bastard child of HBO. It has decent stuff like the first season of Weeds, Dexter, and, apparently, Homeland, but not nearly on par. Starz is just funny. AMC makes good stuff, but you just called their criticall most successful show and the one that won those 4 straight Emmy's to be not that good (so pick an argument - do award shows determine value or not?).
    That is a good argument for which I don't think there is any good answer. Ratings don't work as there is a huge disparity in access (in effect one is comparing unlike items) but I concede awards only reflect the tastes of those offering the award. Are they "better"? I like to include the nominees as well as the winners for a wider picture but it still comes down to taste. That said, is there another measure that would work?

    Re - My trashing of Mad Men... Again, it's a matter of taste. Believe it or not I've watched 2 or 3 seasons of the show (up to the point when Draper and colleagues started their own firm) in an attempt to find the elusive quality I was missing. The show was incredibly popular and loved by critics so I wanted to discover why. I just never did.

    As for West Wing - winner of 4 straight Drama Emmys from 2000 to 2003. I didn't realize 10 years ago was "not current".
    In TV terms it's not current. That's well past reruns and into syndication territory.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 77 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HBO's A game of thrones
    By Heraclitus in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 18, 2010, 09:34
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 26, 2009, 14:39
  3. Asia Game Show AGS EXPO Trade Show!
    By konaxis in forum Civilization IV General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 30, 2008, 06:44

Visitors found this page by searching for:

game of thrones pussy

game of thrones redhead

lady stoneheart

powered by vBulletin entertainment tonight theme

powered by vBulletin entertainment tonight cast

powered by vBulletin entertainment tonight news 20

game of thrones thread

games of thrones redhead

powered by vBulletin entertainment tonight television

redhead whore game of thrones

who is the redhead in game of thronesredhead game of thronespowered by vBulletin entertainmentpowered by vBulletin tonight showgame of thronesredhead in game of thronespowered by vBulletin abc television show the viewred head game of thronesgame of thrones discussionpowered by vBulletin extra televisiongame of thrones tv discussiongame of thrones tv show discussionredhead whore in game of thronespowered by vBulletin the television series edwho is the redhead whore in game of thrones

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions