Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 726

Thread: Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Setup Thread]

  1. #451
    Black Knight 427
    Prince Black Knight 427's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Aug 2008
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    364
    Country
    This is Black Knight 427's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    09:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): YES
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) YES
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: YES
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): NO

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? NEUTRAL
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? NO
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! YES
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! NO
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: NEUTRAL

  2. #452
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Wow, looks like I missed a lot.

    I am extremely disappointed to see all the accusations being sent my way. I'm disappointed too to see yet another vote with little information on the situation.

    I am glad however to see that most people who have spoken up do, in fact, trust me and believe that I am doing everything I can to make this the best game possible, not to give myself an unfair advantage. Suggestions that I am secretly taking over the game, or rigging things for my own benefit, or leading some cabal with RP to mess up everyone's game is insulting and ludicrous. The loudest voices say "I trust Ozzy, but... I think he's secretly rigging the game." is just double-talk and doesn't change the personal nature of the indictment against me. As many have said in my defense, I have been at this for quite a while and have always been an impartial map maker who looks out for the good of the game and the balance of the game.

    For most games in recent years I have created the map and not played in the game. Obviously there is less drama that way, and I'm content to help the game as a universal sub, but I like playing too. I certainly am dedicated to keeping these games running as smoothly as possible and have cut my own playing time just to make that happen. I wish certain people weren't so upset that I finally be given a chance to play in a game too instead of always sitting on the sidelines.

    Some may wonder whether a mapmaker is needed at all, or whether I should be fiddling around with my sinister "tweaking". The answer is yes. Sorry.

    We decided (democratically) to play a world map (looong over due in my opinion). Ok, how do we do that? There is no such thing as a "random" world map that we can just pick in the game settings. A map has to be selected and set up. At the time, several people suggested we use the map from the 1000 AD scenario. It is a map that is included in every copy of the game so it is something available to everyone (no secret cabal here), and is a pretty darn good map (designed by Rhye). We can't just load it up and play it. Sorry, doesn't work that way. The map included in the game is a scenario with cities already built on it. Those cities need to be deleted. The civs in that game are different than the civs we are using, so that needs to be changed. The map was created for a very specific purpose intended to create a specific result. No offense, but the game would be a disaster if I did nothing to the map.

    I'm certainly doing my best to leave most of the map as I found it, but there are some definite balance issues that need to be fixed. I'm sure, thanks to this hearty dose of pre-game paranoia, that there will be many accusations later in the game about something unfair or unbalanced about the map. I promise you that in most cases it'll be a situation where I *didn't* change the existing map. I'm certainly trying to do my best. It is a very hard thing to do. We can't vote on every location of every resource on the map. Should that wine be north of that mountain, or east of it? Should we vote? This game would never start. The map is far too complex.

    As it has been said, I don't know who is which civ (though yes, I had hoped to place everyone individually) but I am very much bothered by the suggestion that I would try to **** up someone's start because I didn't like them. That is insulting. For as much as I've done for this game and all the ones before it, for some (a minority, thankfully, but a vocal one) to think that I'd try to rig the game is very upsetting. My goal is balance. You can argue that balance isn't worth going after, that it is ok to scatter everything to the wind and let superior players get superior starts and crush the weaker players in every possible way. But to argue that I am trying to deliberately cheat... that's something else altogether.

    As I've said, 90% of the map will be the same as the 1000 AD scenario. Will I possess some all important advantage in the game by knowing that extra 10%? No. Those of you who already don't trust me won't believe this, but I honestly have a poor memory and don't remember every change I make to the map. Plus once the game starts I never open the map up in world builder to go check. So anyone who opened up the 1000 AD scenario in world builder halfway through the game would have far more of an advantage than I would. I urge everyone not to do it though. The joy of discovery is, I think, an important and fun aspect of any game of civ. I like to be surprised and will refuse to open up the map to double check things. I think that is poor sportsmanship. But again, every one of you has that choice. It is your decision.

    This is a very long post, but as for the mod, this is, again, a part of making this map playable. Our planet was not created with the rules of a random game of civ. If we want to play on our planet, we need to have rules that better reflect the reality of this map. In the real world, do we have megalopolises in the Amazon and Congo equal to the greatest cities in Europe, America and Asia? Are there cities with tens of millions of people in Siberia or northern Canada? No? Well if we play this game without a mod that is how the world will look. The rules for random civ games are suited for random civ maps. Not an Earth map. To play this type of game on the Earth map, certain small changes need to be made to make it work. People accuse me of being a secret puppet master, but I've disclosed these changes every step of the way, and only at the final moment do people start freaking out.

    People wanted the 1000 AD scenario map, well... the reason that worked was because those cities in Europe were placed 1 tile away from each other (or two depending on how you count). To recreate that map and make it playable, this is how we do it.

    Putting everything to a vote is going to create a game similar to how initiatives have created the state of California. Voters pass various changes to the Constitution that conflict with each other, or that slash taxes while mandating increases in spending. I'm all for democracy, but sometimes people just don't know what they are voting for and can make a mess of things. In this case I think we need a Republic not a direct democracy. I just people would assume good faith on my part.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  3. #453
    trev
    King
    Join Date
    01 Feb 2003
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,288
    Country
    This is trev's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    11:28
    1a Neutral
    1b Neutral
    1c Yes
    1d Neutral
    2a No
    2b No
    2c No
    2d Neutral
    2e Yes

  4. #454
    Rempedaalops
    Chieftain Rempedaalops's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 May 2009
    Posts
    47
    Country
    This is Rempedaalops's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    Yeah, exactly what Ozzy says I believe voting is not the right thing to do here for exactly the reasons you state. And I don't believe Ozzy would rig the game, come on man, it's a diplo game and this is about having lots of fun, not winning. I'm actually more concerned with people who mistrust people at this stage; those could very well turn out to be the people who are in it for the win, and who will get demoralized when they're in a bad position in-game and start complaining about things being unbalanced, instead of just rolling with it and incorporating your shitty game position into a brilliant diplo story. Because that's the beauty of diplo; it doesn't matter one bit whether you are doing well or not, if you play it right. In the last game, my civ completely sucked game-wise, but it was probably one of the most fun civ-games I have ever played. Me being in a shitty position actually contributed to that fun. My point is; I don't understand why people are getting hung up about things being balanced. In the real world, nothing is balanced, and balance is completely unnecessary for a good diplo game. Actually, having everything unbalanced and having lots of players who think that that is cool: that is probably the best starting situation for a good diplo game. Because an unbalanced world creates problems, and problems create diplomacy and war, which will be played out through high drama and ingenious plots if everybody rolls with it instead of complain! And that's fun

    Ozzy, if this vote continues, I will follow your vote. So basically your vote will count double.
    You are all individuals

  5. #455
    Robert Plomp
    Administrator Robert Plomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 1999
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,124
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:58
    It would have been best to continue the way we were heading. Especially because we are that far.
    But it's not good to force-start a game where many people have questions, hence the poll.

    I don't think that anybody mistrusted Ozzy. There were just questions, many of those have been answered.
    For some these questions were raised to avoid possible future arguments in the game. So not so much against Ozzy, but more with the purpose that not later on questions would be raised against Ozzy.

    Looking at the current results, only 1 person votes a 'no' towards the current tier system. All the others vote 'neutral' or 'yes'. More opposition is against the mods, it seems like people don't like it to head that way. Let's see how this vote continues.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

  6. #456
    Robert Plomp
    Administrator Robert Plomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 1999
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,124
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:58
    Current standings:
    1a. current tier system: 7
    1b. 18 civ choices tier system: 8 (needs re-picking)
    1c. guided civ picking: 12 (needs re-picking)
    1d. free civ picking: 4

    2a. cities 2 tiles mod: 6
    2b. marsh, tundra tweaks: 2
    2c. ships sail twice as fast: 5
    2d. ships sail twice as fast on oceans: 4
    2e. no mods: 12
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

  7. #457
    St Jon
    King St Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Aug 2000
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    2,070
    Country
    This is St Jon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    Ozzy, I do trust you and have never suggested otherwise.

    I will go with the flow but I will restate my worries.

    I have played, albeit solo, Earth Maps and have always found them deeply unsatisfactory due to the one consistent factor which is Europe. Civ, if played logically, will follow all natural logic and one of the early superpowers, probably China, will win. European nations are too small, possess too few natural resources and are so closely huddled that they have no realistic chance.

    If top rated players are prepared to take on that burden then fine but I am against 1 radius Cities, Dead Tiles and go-faster Galleons to even the score. Following that logic Magellan would have arrived home in time for tea and Mumbai would likely be the size of Hastings.
    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
    - Anon

  8. #458
    DNK
    Prince DNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Sep 2010
    Location
    Saigon
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    08:58
    T4 is getting shafted fairly badly despite being for the "weak" players... with the exception of the eastern US and difficult-to-access Amazon, the land is poor and small, we have few trading partners, and few resources (in density and diversity) compared to all other tiers. We also have far more difficult borders to work out than T3. I'm not sure why the weak players are getting thrown the scraps and left to play by themselves for a few months.

    I'm happy to play anyway, since the reason I came here wasn't to win (I know I won't come close with any start in this field), but if I get stuck as the Incas and have to crawl my way up a really poor coast just to run into a bunch of Aztecs and spend the entire time communicating with the blue whales in the Pacific I'm not going to be terribly content. I'd much rather start in Central Russia, Australia, New Guinea, Indochina, or even the Congo, because even though I'd have a miserable time cutting my way out at least I'd be in the middle of things and not in a sideshow, plus the pressure on my borders would be much less than in the Americas. And that's how T4 feels right now: a sideshow, the kiddie table, the proverbial isolated start.

    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our planet was not created with the rules of a random game of civ. If we want to play on our planet, we need to have rules that better reflect the reality of this map. In the real world, do we have megalopolises in the Amazon and Congo equal to the greatest cities in Europe, America and Asia? Are there cities with tens of millions of people in Siberia or northern Canada? No? Well if we play this game without a mod that is how the world will look. The rules for random civ games are suited for random civ maps. Not an Earth map. To play this type of game on the Earth map, certain small changes need to be made to make it work.
    (Kinshasa is the 9th largest city on Earth ) First, thank you for responding, even if I wasn't someone with a problem (with your editing in principle), it's still good for the discussion. I missed all the early conversations here, so I'll jump in some more.

    I don't think I've seen an Earth map yet that would come close to creating historical population densities, or that even really properly reflect Earth's terrain. For instance, despite its heavy rainfall, rainforest soil is pretty poor, and can't be cultivated for more than a couple years before running out of nutrients, and giving it grassland tiles is dubious, as those really should be kept for soil productive enough to permit perpetual farming, which in turn permits the buildup of farm investment, making the land even more productive. In fact, most tropical soil is poor to mediocre, and a map of global population densities shows it. The Mekong also has no rice, Iowa has no corn, etc, etc, I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

    I realize I'm probably shooting myself in the foot as a T4 player by mentioning all that, but it's how it is.

  9. #459
    Exploit
    Warlord
    Join Date
    15 Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Country
    This is Exploit's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): NEUTRAL
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) NEUTRAL
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: NEUTRAL
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): YES

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? NO
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? NO
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! NO
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! NO
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: YES

    Since there is at least going to be a vote on whether to use the European-aid mod (my main objection), I will play.

  10. #460
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): YES
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) YES
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: NO
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs NO

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? YES
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? YES
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! YES
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! YES (assuming I can figure out how to do it)
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: NO

    edited to include answers to first question.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; September 7, 2010 at 11:48.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  11. #461
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Speaking of my comparison of this vote to the messy California initiative process... we have a vote for all the particulars of this mod, and then another question asking if we want to use a mod at all. Some people have voted yes on particulars of the mod, and then also voted yes on using no mods. Many people have conflicting votes...

    This game is going to be a mess.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  12. #462
    Exploit
    Warlord
    Join Date
    15 Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Country
    This is Exploit's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    @Ozzy, I believe you think you are being balanced and as far as the map is concerned I could not care less where resources are based since I prefer a game where resources are unbalanced and some civs get an early lead based upon starting with better resources. I question your objectivity however when it comes to the mod since you have a preconceived notion that the European civs are screwed and therefore the rules need to be changed to give Europeans an edge while hindering the rest of the civs. I do not accept your starting premise or the mod that resulted from it.

    I have played the standard Earth18civ scenario map several times with friends in multiplayer mode, including as a European civ, and the Europeans are normally some of the stronger civs. England (which someone mentioned earlier was a particularly screwed civ) has in my experience normally ended up the tech leader, despite having only 4 cities. In the Earth18civ scenario map there are no special rules for allowing cities to be placed closer together and all the multiplayer games I have played in on that map have been reasonably balanced. The outliers are China/Russia which expand really fast and it takes a good early Mongol player or a co-ordinated later effort to beat them back down to a reasonable size while the Incas are a really tough civ to grow to a reasonable size but everyone else normally can stay comparable to one another assuming equal play.

    If you let people choose whatever civ they want then those who think European civs are screwed can pick someone else. I assure you there will be enough players willing to play European civs as is that no mod is necessary. I will personally take either England or France on the standard map and consider myself to have an excellent starting position.

    I also disagree with your argument that if we let everyone pick whereever they want, that it will lead to a poor game because strong players will dominate their weaker neighbors. The major problem in multiplayer games in my experience is that the strong players all know who the other strong players are and they tend to form alliances together, which leaves the weaker players to fend for themselves. Placing all the strong players together is not going to solve this problem. In fact I would argue placing the strongest players in separate continents, where they can each become the local hegemon and compete against each other on a global scale makes for a more balanced game.

  13. #463
    Robert Plomp
    Administrator Robert Plomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 1999
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,124
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:58
    This is a poll to see how people feel about the game.
    It's in a different format to get a better idea of what people want, also the people who do not speak up.

    To me it's not important that we pick the options with the most votes, but the options that is acceptable to most people. (thus I'd rather pick an option with 18 neutral votes then pick the option with 10 YES and 8 NO votes)

    That's why there are a lot of options. And some of them an be answered in a conflicting manner.
    My purpose here is to keep everybody satisfied and interested in the game.

    I am therefore abstaining from voting myself so far, I am looking at where things are going to, and to be honest, my own opinion doesn't matter that much to me. I just want to have fun.

    Ozzy, you have a double vote (see rempedaalops). I'd say: cast it!

    option 1 is: continue the current path
    option 2 is: one step back, make a list of 18 civs, everybody pick one of those (based on their tier), no map tweaking after picknig.
    option 3 is: one step back, make a list of 18 civs, everybody pick one of those civs, the 'worst player' first, the 'best' player last. (no tiers)

    I guess that you want either option 2 (b/c that's your original position) or option 1 (continue where we are b/c that's close to the start of the game)
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

  14. #464
    Exploit
    Warlord
    Join Date
    15 Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Country
    This is Exploit's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rempedaalops View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, exactly what Ozzy says I believe voting is not the right thing to do here for exactly the reasons you state. And I don't believe Ozzy would rig the game, come on man, it's a diplo game and this is about having lots of fun, not winning. I'm actually more concerned with people who mistrust people at this stage; those could very well turn out to be the people who are in it for the win, and who will get demoralized when they're in a bad position in-game and start complaining about things being unbalanced, instead of just rolling with it and incorporating your shitty game position into a brilliant diplo story. Because that's the beauty of diplo; it doesn't matter one bit whether you are doing well or not, if you play it right. In the last game, my civ completely sucked game-wise, but it was probably one of the most fun civ-games I have ever played. Me being in a shitty position actually contributed to that fun. My point is; I don't understand why people are getting hung up about things being balanced. In the real world, nothing is balanced, and balance is completely unnecessary for a good diplo game. Actually, having everything unbalanced and having lots of players who think that that is cool: that is probably the best starting situation for a good diplo game. Because an unbalanced world creates problems, and problems create diplomacy and war, which will be played out through high drama and ingenious plots if everybody rolls with it instead of complain! And that's fun

    Ozzy, if this vote continues, I will follow your vote. So basically your vote will count double.
    Rempedaalops, your whole argument is that an unbalanced game is totally fine by you therefore you support Ozzy's position however Ozzy is the strongest voice demanding a "balanced" (as he perceives it) game. My position is to use the Earth18civ map as is and just use Plomp's secret civ picker (preferably allowing any civ not just 18 pre-selected civs, assuming you can see which civs have already been picked players will scatter their civs appropriately and if someone picks a civ right beside you then deal with it in game) to allow players in random order to select their civ. No unnecessary "balancing" is required.

  15. #465
    Robert Plomp
    Administrator Robert Plomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 1999
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,124
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    03:58
    18 players, 18 opinions. Diplogamers are with only a few. It's not as if there are 20 games to choose from.
    Let's all be willing to accept some less preferred options, to play this game.

    Debating the issues will not solve. Different people have different wishes, no debate will solve that.
    Some think that the mods will increase balance, others will believe that it will decrease the balance.
    Yet we have to play this game together.

    All just please vote in the poll, and then we make a game that's acceptable by most.
    And I am sure that even if some options are not our first choice, we will all enjoy it if we go for it!!

    Robert
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

  16. #466
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Also... so 1c seems to be leading now, and it seems like it'll get rid of tiers altogether. Yet we already voted in favor of having tiers. Is the plan to just keep voting until we get a result certain people like?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  17. #467
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have played the standard Earth18civ scenario map several times with friends in multiplayer mode, including as a European civ, and the Europeans are normally some of the stronger civs. England (which someone mentioned earlier was a particularly screwed civ) has in my experience normally ended up the tech leader, despite having only 4 cities. In the Earth18civ scenario map there are no special rules for allowing cities to be placed closer together and all the multiplayer games I have played in on that map have been reasonably balanced. The outliers are China/Russia which expand really fast and it takes a good early Mongol player or a co-ordinated later effort to beat them back down to a reasonable size while the Incas are a really tough civ to grow to a reasonable size but everyone else normally can stay comparable to one another assuming equal play.

    If you let people choose whatever civ they want then those who think European civs are screwed can pick someone else. I assure you there will be enough players willing to play European civs as is that no mod is necessary. I will personally take either England or France on the standard map and consider myself to have an excellent starting position.
    Have you played the map with 18 civs? And did you play the scenario (cities already placed) or just a bare map? England is the easiest pick in Europe. The civs to be truly worried about are Germany and the Ottomans who find themselves surrounded on all sides.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  18. #468
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): YES
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) YES
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: NO
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): NO
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  19. #469
    Rempedaalops
    Chieftain Rempedaalops's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 May 2009
    Posts
    47
    Country
    This is Rempedaalops's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rempedaalops, your whole argument is that an unbalanced game is totally fine by you therefore you support Ozzy's position however Ozzy is the strongest voice demanding a "balanced" (as he perceives it) game. My position is to use the Earth18civ map as is and just use Plomp's secret civ picker (preferably allowing any civ not just 18 pre-selected civs, assuming you can see which civs have already been picked players will scatter their civs appropriately and if someone picks a civ right beside you then deal with it in game) to allow players in random order to select their civ. No unnecessary "balancing" is required.
    Ah, you make a good point. I think I mean unbalanced in who starts where, and what the civ map offers. The balance is restored because some players are really good and others aren't, but it will never be a completely balanced game, and we shouldn't strive towards one. I believe Ozzy's 'balance' is the properly 'unbalanced' game, if you catch my drift My point was that if any unbalanced situation does arise, then it will simply be an opportunity to show off your diplo skills. And therefore we shouldn't worry too much now about everyone's ideas on the subject.

    I think it is a great and fun experiment to play with this mod and the tiers, as it hasn't been done before. Like RP says: "Let's all be willing to accept some less preferred options, to play this game". I agree, hence the reason I gave away my vote; I'm really curious to try new ideas, they're bound to be interesting, even if they turn out radically different from what we expected. We can always try something different in the next diplo game. It would also be cool if other people would put up new ideas for diplogames, with cool ideas for mods; since there are people here able to make mods, why not make the most of it and try out weird stuff? By accepting the ideas of a few people (different ones every game) you can try out radically different things every time, instead of always having to play a game that is the result of a consensus. That's the reason I think it is better to vote on complete concepts for diplogames, instead of voting about all the details.
    Last edited by Rempedaalops; September 7, 2010 at 12:04.
    You are all individuals

  20. #470
    Rempedaalops
    Chieftain Rempedaalops's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 May 2009
    Posts
    47
    Country
    This is Rempedaalops's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): YES
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) YES
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: NO
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): NO

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? YES
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? YES
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! YES
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! YES (if Ozzy can figure out how to do it)
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: NO
    You are all individuals

  21. #471
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rempedaalops View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah, you make a good point. I think I mean unbalanced in who starts where, and what the civ map offers. The balance is restored because some players are really good and others aren't, but it will never be a completely balanced game, and we shouldn't strive towards one. I believe Ozzy's 'balance' is the properly 'unbalanced' game, if you catch my drift My point was that if any unbalanced situation does arise, then it will simply be an opportunity to show off your diplo skills. And therefore we shouldn't worry too much now about everyone's ideas on the subject.

    I think it is a great and fun experiment to play with this mod and the tiers, as it hasn't been done before. Like RP says: "Let's all be willing to accept some less preferred options, to play this game". I agree, hence the reason I gave away my vote; I'm really curious to try new ideas, they're bound to be interesting, even if they turn out radically different from what we expected. We can always try something different in the next diplo game. It would also be cool if other people would put up new ideas for diplogames, with cool ideas for mods; since there are people here able to make mods, why not make the most of it and try out weird stuff? By accepting the ideas of a few people (different ones every game) you can try out radically different things every time, instead of always having to play a game that is the result of a consensus. That's the reason I think it is better to vote on complete concepts for diplogames, instead of voting about all the details.
    Very good points. Back in the day people were more adventurous with different types of games and options when it came to diplogames. People seem to be scared of any change at all lately, which is too bad. Also, I 100% agree with voting for concepts and not details, since there are too many opportunities for various details to not mesh together well. That is what I'm worried about with this current vote.

    Actually, your suggestion about various games with various ideas, is totally right, and what I was trying to do with that New Horizons game where people switched civs every month.

    One challenge we have as a community, is that while years ago we used to have 3-4 different games going on at all times with 6-7 players, now we do only one giant game at a time. I tried to do a smaller game with New Horizons, just so we can try out some new things and have it as a side game, but it didn't work. There are a few choke points when it comes to organizing games. First we need a host, and it seems very few of us are able to actually host games. Second we need an organizer. I used to be the one who took the lead with that, and either it has become more challenging to organize these games or I've just lost patience with doing a good job, but I was unable to hold things together with NH. So it seems like Robert is not only one of very few hosts we have, but also the only truly dedicated and competent organizer. Organizing a game isn't easy. Robert does a tremendous job with it. But until we get more people willing to put in the time and effort, we are only going to get 1-2 games going at a time. And people will probably argue about settings until we end up back with the same standard settings we always use.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  22. #472
    Exploit
    Warlord
    Join Date
    15 Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Country
    This is Exploit's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    21:58
    Changing the game rules via a mod is definitely concept changing and not detail changing! Using an earth map is a concept. Using a tier system for civ selection is a concept. The agreed upon concept that was originally voted for was an earth map with tiered civ selection. A vote for an Earth map + tier selection concept does not equal a vote for a modified rules concept!

    From looking over the poll results so far, it seems to me that the players as a whole are willing to accept a tier selection earth map (civ selection is probably already finished using the civ selector web page anyway) however there is significant opposition to the mod concept.

  23. #473
    The Priest
    Prince
    Join Date
    19 Apr 2006
    Posts
    936
    Country
    This is The Priest's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    Ozzy, its good to have the interaction on here, thank you.

    I am sorry that raising questions feels to you like distrusting you or accusing you of fiddling things for your benefit. Neither of these were ever true in my case. But a few things emerged over the last weeks since the votes which surprised or raised questions for me, and I didn't think it unreasonable to want some clarification on them. I realise that for you it is obvious that a vote for an earth map implies a number of things about mods, the way the map is set up etc., but those things aren't obvious to some of us, and weren't clearly in our minds when the votes were made a few weeks back, hence the need for communicaiton and clarification. The options don't have to be either a vote on every detail, or one person working on their own and coming up with a final product and everyone else having to accept it. There is a middle path.

    As you mentioned the New Horizons game didn't work. As you know I was really on for that, had avocated the original concept, and was really frustrated when it didn't work. But for me that is the point - some brilliant ideas don't seem to work, hence the desireability of chewing over the plan for a game for a bit, not to remove all creativity, but to try to ensure it has a good chance of working. After all, its not like we just try a few each week and enjoy the ones which work, its a 9 month commitment.

    I can see I have offended you, and I am sorry for that. I hope in time you might see that it wasn't personal or about not trusting you.

  24. #474
    The Priest
    Prince
    Join Date
    19 Apr 2006
    Posts
    936
    Country
    This is The Priest's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): No
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) NEUTRAL
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: Yes
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): NEUTRAL

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? NO
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? Neutral
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! NO
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! Neutral
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: YES

  25. #475
    Pinchak
    King Pinchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Dec 2006
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,726
    Country
    This is Pinchak's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    So when is first turn?

  26. #476
    St Jon
    King St Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Aug 2000
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    2,070
    Country
    This is St Jon's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    02:58
    I agree totally with Exploit.

    Tiers are one thing, if you genuinely know the ability of all the players, but then castrating the 'lesser' players with dead tiles is quite another.

    The fact that this is a Diplo-Game also seems to have been ignored. Just being the best player is far less important than in a kill or be killed game. Robert won DoC despite being a distance away from the in-game winner in terms of either Civ points or ultimate power. Toni is a fine player of Civ indeed but he never was any kind of challenge in DoC when it came to winning the actual Diplo itself. Ozzy and Deity, both fine players, were also-rans in BtP with Capo far the most inventive and creative in his story telling despite being a very much weaker player.

    The real advantage the 'big boys' in Europe get is early interaction which means great early stories as opposed to 'I cut down my first forest today'. Give the little guys a chance if you want a tough fight for supremacy.
    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
    - Anon

  27. #477
    deity
    Emperor deity's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 May 1999
    Location
    Parrot Towers, Killcare Heights, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    6,955
    Country
    This is deity's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    12:58
    Damn, too much to read! But I quickly read ozzy's posts.

    The game I would very much like to play is the one ozzy is crafting.

    Will check back later...
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*
    icq: 8388924

  28. #478
    deity
    Emperor deity's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 May 1999
    Location
    Parrot Towers, Killcare Heights, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    6,955
    Country
    This is deity's Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Local Date
    November 23, 2014
    Local Time
    12:58
    1. What kinda games do you like to play?
    a. tier-system with multiple civ picking (more choice, map needs tweaking after picking): YES
    b. tier-system with only 18 choices (less choice, no map tweaking after picking) YES
    c. guided civ picking system, 'best' players pick last: NO
    d. free civ picking system (random pick-order, every civ is available from a pre-created list of 18 civs): NO

    2. Do you like it to play:
    a. With the place cities 2 tiles from each other mod? YES
    b. With the terrain mods (marsh, tundra tweak, etc.)? NEUTRAL
    c. Shipsmod, all ships can sail twice as fast! NO
    d. Coastline mod: ships sail twice as fast in oceans only. Not in coastlines/seas! YES
    e. Just plain good old civ4 without mods: NO

    ---

    My only caveat is that we don't get tech issues from using mods.
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*
    icq: 8388924

  29. #479
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    Quote Originally Posted by St Jon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If top rated players are prepared to take on that burden then fine but I am against 1 radius Cities, Dead Tiles and go-faster Galleons to even the score. Following that logic Magellan would have arrived home in time for tea and Mumbai would likely be the size of Hastings.
    Umm, lets put some things in perspective here. If Magellan left Seville on this Earth map it'd take him about 43 turns to circumnavigate the globe. For a knight to take the silk road from Barcelona to Beijing it takes about 13 turns. Remember that the whole point of the historic age of sail and the world wide discoveries and colonization that came of it was because the land route was terribly slow and ships were far quicker and more efficient. In standard civ it is exactly the opposite, ships are dreadfully slow and basically irrelevant while land travel is incredibly easy. Hell, with railroads built, a knight (or cavalry or tank) can get from Barcelona to Beijing in FIVE TURNS. A destroyer (the quickest ship in the game) would take 12 turns to reach there, and even with the Suez Canal built, it'd take 9 turns.

    Ship movement is horribly unhistorical and unrealistic in civ. It doesn't scale with map size. You'd think a huge map like the one we are using would have ship movement that'd match it. This becomes especially bizarre when we factor in how long turns last in years. Magellan (well, his crew) circumnavigated the globe in three years, from 1519 to 1522. If a galleon left Spain in 1520 in an epic speed game of civ, it wouldn't arrive back in Spain until 1684.* His tea would be quite cold by then.

    In game terms, lets say England wanted to attack India (obviously it has been done before). Lets say they load some troops on galleons and send them over. Well by the time they get there India has had 20 turns of additional unit building and 20 turns of additional tech advancement. Naval invasions or interaction is difficult enough in a game, but such long distances make it much worse.

    St. Jon, you complain that there is some problem with all the European players being next to each other and able to interact easily. Yet you oppose a mod that would make it far easier for civs around the globe to interact with each other. So which is it?


    *On epic speed each turn represents 5 years between 1000 AD and 1650 AD, and 2 years for each turn between 1650 AD and 1850 AD. So 43 turns starting in 1520 would take 164 years!
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

  30. #480
    OzzyKP
    ACS Staff Member OzzyKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 1999
    Location
    Takoma Park, MD
    Posts
    13,798
    Country
    This is OzzyKP's Country Flag
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Local Date
    November 22, 2014
    Local Time
    20:58
    And, I ask again, why are we revoting on tiers?

    Why will a new vote on tiers override the old vote on tiers?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

    When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Organization Thread]
    By Robert Plomp in forum Civilization IV Multiplaying
    Replies: 3819
    Last Post: April 12, 2012, 14:26
  2. Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Story Thread 6 - March 2011]
    By OzzyKP in forum Civilization IV Multiplaying
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: April 1, 2011, 05:23
  3. Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Story Thread 4 - January 2011]
    By Robert Plomp in forum Civilization IV Multiplaying
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: February 1, 2011, 05:05
  4. Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Story Thread 3 - December 2010]
    By OzzyKP in forum Civilization IV Multiplaying
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: December 31, 2010, 17:10
  5. Destiny of Empires [Diplo Game] [Story Thread]
    By Robert Plomp in forum Civilization IV Multiplaying
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: November 3, 2010, 18:11

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions