[serious] Charity thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [serious] Charity thread

To which charity do you donate? Post links to charities you have personally donated to and think are worthwhile. A short message explaining why you feel so is welcomed too.

Let's hope as many of us as possible find a charity they feel like donating to here.

Edit:
    I've untill now donated around 500EUR to various charities that help or try to help drug addicts or help fighting the spread of drug addiction. I felt like doing something to fight this after hearing around a year ago from a mutual accuaintance that an old childhood friend (& crush) died of an overdose.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; April 14, 2010, 11:41.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Blah

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Amnesty International- http://www.amnesty.org.uk/

Because I'm more concerned about human beings than fluffy wickle bunny rabbits.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

We should try to give time, not money. I give to the development of agriculture in rural Africa, but I get more in return.

I believe in addressing the source, not the symptom. Diet is a source.

I believe in the Neo-Exodus (tm), the movement of educated 1st worlders to the 3rd, to end world poverty. Only when we move there and make those problems our own will things change; we must reverse the brain drain. Sending good money after bad is not getting us anywhere.
          Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Whereas I'm less concerned about human beings than fluffy wickle bunny rabbits.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I have donated to:

American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/
              Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf
              ADRA http://www.adra.org/site/PageServer
              SDA church (various) + a small amount to other denominational churches.

A few other organizations I can't remember the name of now (One was Buddhist, hmm). I gave through my bank too. Hmm... Oxfam America I think I didn't do but thought about.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                Give time, not money. I give to the development of agriculture in rural Africa, but I get more in return.
                Why would I give time instead of money? I'm much more productive at my job than at somebody else's.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Did you guys miss serious?

@Ecofarm: Thats good Most people are dumb and just give relief aid. There are plenty of studies that show how relief aid mostly goes to local corrupt officals and distorts local free markets.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Why would I give time instead of money? I'm much more productive at my job than at somebody else's.
                      Sorry, I edit alot. See back.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                        Did you guys miss serious?

@Ecofarm: Thats good Most people are dumb and just give relief aid. There are plenty of studies that show how relief aid mostly goes to local corrupt officals and distorts local free markets.
                        It depends on who you give to.

If you give to a group who goes in and engages in literacy, or helps in disaster relief... that is different.

If you give to groups that help in a 1st world country like the US, that is different.

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised you think this way. Some people have tons of time and not much money. Other people don't have much time, and perhaps have more money. Obviously you and ecofarm are in similar boats.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          I think he is either trying to say one of two things:

1. Charity isn't about people you give things to, its about how good it makes you feel. [selfish, but I doubt people getting aid mind]

2. He dosen't trust charity organizations with his money, but since he is involved with his labour he knows exactly what gets done with it.

I think no 2. is weak for inteligent people, especially with medium sized organizations since making sure the money is spent on something reasonable isn't that hard. Come to think of it a charity dedicated to exposing charity fraud might do the most net good.

Comment

I'm trying to say that money doesn't solve anything. Giving time is way more effective.

Ultimately, I think educated 1st worlders should move, en masse, to the 3rd world because poverty does not get solved from afar and we need to reverse the brain drain. When 1st world educated people must live under governments like that, and laws like that, then things will change. Until then, I hope everyone feels great giving money-bandaids to real problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              I have donated to:

American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/
                              Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf
                              ADRA http://www.adra.org/site/PageServer
                              SDA church (various) + a small amount to other denominational churches.

A few other organizations I can't remember the name of now (One was Buddhist, hmm). I gave through my bank too. Hmm... Oxfam America I think I didn't do but thought about.

JM
                              I gave to the Slovenian Red Cross, also gave a bit to local communes and treatment centers (just a bit since the commune guys seemed shady).
                              http://www.redcross.int/

I'm also considering donating to this one:
                              http://projectprevention.org/
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; April 14, 2010, 12:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X