Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Leaders of Civ2- Who are They Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Leaders of Civ2- Who are They Really?

So you've played Civ2, and matched wits with these great leaders. Some are well know names, others obscure (or even in a few cases fake!). So, a quick history course for yall.

Note what kind of leaders represent civilizations that were defeated some time in history.

Also, the female rulers are an interesting and inaccurate mix.

Romans
    Caeser- not sure if this refers to Julius or Augustus, both were generals, Julius founded Roman Empire while Augustus was first Emperor.
    Livia- wife of Augustus, she did much ruling behind the scenes and when Augustus was out of the capital.

Babylonians
    Hammurabi- King known for establishment of Hammurabi's Code, one of world's earliest known legal doctrines.
    Ishtari- Babylonian goddess of war.

Germans
    Frederick- King of Prussia who unified Germany in 17th century.
    Maria Theresa- Empress of Austria during 17th century. Was actually Frederick's main rival.

Egyptians
    Ramesses- there were actually 11 Ramesses, the most famous being the 2nd, a powerful ruler now remembered for the many monuments he had built in his honor, such as the temple at Abu Simbel, which was relocated for construction of Aswan High Dam.
    Cleopatra- the last Egyptian pharoah, defeated by Romans led by Augustus.

Americans
    Abe Lincoln- U.S. President during the Civil War.
    Eleanor Roosevelt- wife of Franklin D. Roosevelt (US President during Depression and WWII) and social reformer.

Indians
    Mohandas Gandhi- Leader of India's independence movement.
    Indira Gandhi- Prime minister of India in 70's and 80's. She is not related to Mohandas, though like Mohandas, was also assassinated.

Russians
    Lenin- Russian revolutionary who founded the Soviet Union.
    Catherine the Great- 18th century Empress of Russia

Zulus
    Shaka- 18th century warrior who unified much of southern Africa.
    Shakala- This is a fictitious name

French
    Louis XIV- A powerful and egotistical king from the 17th century, he built Versailles and married Maria Theresa.
    Joan of Arc- 15th century French general who fought against English occupation
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Aztecs
    Montezuma- 15th century emperor who was defeated by Spaniards.
    Nazca- not a person, but a civilization. The Nazca live in Peru the first half of the first millenium.

Chinese
    Mao Tse Tung- Chinese revolutionary who founded the People's Republic of China
    Wu Zhao- 7th century Empress, only official female ruler in China's history.

English
    Henry VIII- 16th century king known for his many marriages and divorces
    Elizabeth I- Succeeded Henry VIII, she led England in its rise to a major naval power.

Greeks
    Alexander- General who conquered Persia and other parts of the Middle East.
    Hippolyta- One of the queens of the Amazons, mentioned in numerous myths.

Celts
    Cunobelin- A tribal leader whose story inspired Shakespeare's "Cymbeline"
    Boadicea- General who organized Celts in a revolt against Roman occupation.

Mongols
    Genghis Khan- General who conquered large parts of Asia.
    Bortei- Wife of Genghis Khan

Japanese
    Tokugawa- 17th century shogun who unified Japan
    Ameterasu- Goddess of the Sun

Vikings
    Canute- 11th century Viking general who expanded empire over much of Northern Europe. Later established himself as king of England
    Gunnhild- wife of Eric Bloodaxe, 10th century Viking king predating Eric the Red

Spaniards
    Philip II- 16th century king. His Spanish Armada was defeated by the English.
    Isabella- 15th century queen. She married Ferdinand of Portugal, together they began the unification of the remainder of Spain.

Persians
    Xerxes- 5th century emperor whose fleet was defeated by the Greeks at Salamis.
    Scheherezade- the storyteller and narrator from The Arabian Nights.

Carthaginians
    Hannibal- General who fought and was eventually defeated by the Romans.
    Dido- Founder of Carthage. After the Phoenician capital of Tyre was conquered she led the Phoenicians to build a new capital at Carthage.

Sioux
    Sitting Bull- General and chief who united numerous tribes against U.S. invasion in late 19th Century. Eventually defeated and imprisoned.
    Sacajawea- member of Shoshone tribe. Guided Lewis and Clark in their exploration of North America in the early 19th century.
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The bust is Julius Caesar's not Augustus's

--
      And now that you mentioned it, I never before realized that Sacajawea was such an idiotic choice for a Civ II leader

-
      And I never realized that Schnezzerade was such a bad choice for the Persians I mean, couldn't Firaxis have at least have read Gore Vidal's great novel "Creation" and stolen the name of one of the women from there!
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

If Civilization had anything connected to Gore Vidal in it I wouldn't play it.

Good list Smiley!
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

What do you have against Gore Vidal?
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Perhaps Gore Vidal could be subbed for the female Persian leader. A more aggressive storyteller.

Great list, Smiley.

Monk
            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I don't think Joan of Arc was ever formally made a "general"; seems like she just led and they followed because the Dauphin said so... Same for Boadicea.

Mohandas Gandhi was the primary inspiration for the non-violent wing of the independence movement; there were a number of others, notably Nehru, who were more significant in terms of making it happen or leading India through the transition.

Also, Catherine the Great was really German (actually, Prussian, from an area now part of Poland). She overthrew her Russian husband Peter III and ruled much more effectively.

My guess for Scheherezade and Sacajawea was they couldn't find any other women's names, so went with "significant female" instead.

The Babylonians are the most perfectionistic and least aggressive civ; it's really ironic to find out Ishtari is the Goddess of War.

Comment

Joan of Arc was the commander of the French Army. Today, she would be a general. I am not sure what she was considered then?
                I think you should consider the generals, military leaders.
                Vote Democrat
                Support Democracy

Comment

Perhaps Gore Vidal could be subbed for the female Persian leader. A more aggressive storyteller

---
                  POTUS- she wasn't the commander of the ENTIRE french army
                  -->Visit CGN!

Comment

I was just pointing out there is a big difference between a trained and appointed general and a military neophyte put in charge of complex military affairs. Case in point: Hitler...

Comment

I just meant that she commanded parts of the army, not the entire thing.
                      Vote Democrat
                      Support Democracy

Comment

Next up: analysis of just who the heck are those "great leaders" you get in Civ 3...or should I do something on the cities instead?

Comment

Are your googling skills not quite up to scratch young padawan?

I think that the ancient cities would be interesting, because there can't be that many people here who don't know where Lyon (without an S, thank you!!!), Philly, Barcelona or Cologne are, but I'd be interested in learning about Teotihuacan (usual Aztec city - sp? after it ) and the other ancient and Sioux cities.

Comment

Post the Civ3 stuff somewhere else, please; unless you can make up some Civ2 hook for the post.

Monk
                            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Agreed.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X