Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations from the new screenshots in IGN's Diaries

Hi All,

I noticed somethings in the new screen shots that I thought I would note to everyone.

1) Many of the units look much more realistic.
    2) Stacks appear to be able to consist of 11 units instead of 9 now.
    3) I have noticed some new trade goods as well. Specifically the bear, cotton, and some kind of glass thing on desert hills.
    4) You can now see what the coral reefs look like.

Anybody notice anything else, or have some comments or observations to make? I look forward to reading them.

Timothy Pintello

Also:

- some units have 'V' or 'A' next to them

- improvements?
    a) strange little tower or bottle in field next to Delphi
    b) little buildings next to Antium

- little forts next to city names

Comment

O.K. So, is that bottle/glass/gem thing possibly one of those items you have to "stratigically" place around the board to win scientifically? (I hope that concept is better than it sounds!) Thats what I was thinking it might have also been.

some units have a health bar (and an A) and some only have a flag...noticed that the screen with the health bar and the A also has teh info & options tabs used at top - does this mean it is an optonal feature? hmmm, what other options do we have??? i sure hope there is a key that can be bound to turn the map grid on/off

also noticed the kelp in the seas...but i think that was mentioned in a post awhile back.

the graphics do look much less cartoon like - that is nice

Comment

i dont think we had seen this before: in the map thubmnail, there are three buttons: units, cities and borders

Comment

Comment

Could the tower in the field next to Delphi be a granary? That doesn't make to much sense since I see no other cities with one, but its an idea.

Perhaps its just something that appears while the land is improved to an irrigated field.

Comment

The option I most wanted to see for the radar map is not there: "Terrain", ie , I do not need to see the different terrain types on this map, only ocean, land, and unmapped.

Comment

From its appearance, I would bet that the large bottle and glass (in a desert hill tile) represents a trade good, likely glass (perhaps water?).

Thats it for now...

------------------
                Light the fuse!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 08-31-2000 02:22 PM
                  The option I most wanted to see for the radar map is not there: "Terrain", ie , I do not need to see the different terrain types on this map, only ocean, land, and unmapped.
                  you mean that you dont currently see where is ocean, where is land and where is unmapped??????

Comment

Are those city icons genuinely new, or are they just re-hashes of CTP1's?

It's still unclear whether the number of styles has increased or not. I guess they've had to draw a few extra icons for the scenario's they're doing. But whether the game will allow 7+ city icon's styles at one time remains to be seen.

Comment

Anybody got any opinions or comment on the Intro movie up at IGN?

The download is too much for my 28.8 modem at BTs telephone charges.

Until it comes out on a cover disk, I could make do with a description, or your thoughts on its merits

Jim

Comment

providing a link would save us from desperately looking around on ign http://pc.ign.com/news/24364.html

anyway, i'll download it from the office in a couple of hours

Comment

i've seen it
                          pretty good, better than the ctp1 ones i think...

Comment

Hi All,

There are some more screen shots on the new preview that Mark has linked to. They show some more new stuff. Go check them out.

I think Slax may be right. I think the trade good that looks like a bottle and a glass may be water. Very useful in a desert, yes? Also, I think the thing next to Delphi may be a trade good as well. It looks a lot like one of those old style griders for black pepper.

Since this thead was started my me, I think I will expand it to include some observations about the new screen shots in the preview mentioned before. Since, as anyone who has been in these forums for a while knows, trade goods are my thing, I will start out with some observations about those.

In the preview screen shots, I noticed that while some of the old trade goods such as oil, crab, pearl, elephant, grapes, and coffee are still around, there are some new ones as well. Those are Emerald, Spices, Jalepino Peppers, Tea, and Lumber. Combine these with the ones in the IGN screen shots and it looks like Activision is giving us a much larger variety of trade goods. I am all for that.

I also noticed that they have copied some of the trade goods from Nordicus's Trade Goods Mod such as Tea, Peppers, Spices, Emerald, and Cotton. You think this may just be a coincident?

On to another topic. I noticed in the new screen shots that you can see a catapult and a bombard type weapon in there. Seems that Activision was listening when people said that CTP needed some kind of Ancient/Medeval artillary unit.

Please continue to post your observations in this thread, I really enjoy see what other observe that I miss.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

I notice that there's a retreat option....
                              "I do not pretend to know that which the less educated and less intelligent are certain of." -- T.H. Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X