favorite scenarios? ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite scenarios? ever

Have seen a lot of references to certain scenarios and designers, here and at other civ sites. I would like to dowload and try the best, but I have several years of catching up to do! Please... the top 11 scenarios to date:

Note: deliberate absence of criteria. But please feel free to justify your opinions...

and thanks in advance!
    Ants. An MGE scenario
    http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?file=57835_ant.zip

the facist 4.2 mod by S1Genocide is a rather nice alternative to vanilla civ, but it's graphics are dated, i have yet to make my mod packs as balanced as that one,
    find it here,
    Name Description Star Trek Civilization v0.8 A Star Trek ModPack using all the Star Treks to create a full Star Trek Civilization. This Star Trek: Civilization game was six months in the making and used more research than the ten papers I wrote during the semester I made this. I changed ever aspect I could
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Here are some of my favourites, in no particular order (it's an updated list I posted at the old CDG forum):

Imperium Romanum ----- Bernd Brosing (BeBro)
      Of Celts and Iberians ---- Jesus Belsinde
      Seeds of Greatness ------ Paul Cullivan (Kull)
      Hellas ---------------------- John Ellis (Patient English)
      Quest for Asia ------------ Stefan Hartel ( + all of his scenarios!)
      Riverwar 2 ---------------- Allard Hofelt (AllardHS)
      Brown Man's Burden ----- Carl Fritz (Gothmog)
      Empire --------------------- Carl Fritz
      Imperialism 2 ------------- Phenix Benton (Exile)
      Justinian ------------------- Carl Fritz
      The LOTR trilogy ---------- Favoured Flight
      DAROAE ------------------- Mathias Koster (Hendrik the Great)
      Fading Lights -------------- Maciej Czyz (Heresson)
      Bonaparte ----------------- John Ellis
      Carolus Invictissimus----- Jesus Menoz
      Senguko Jidai 2 ----------- Kevin Chulski (DarthVeda)
      Colonies series------------ John Ellis
      Second Reich-------------- Mike Jeszenka (Magyar Crusader)
      Russian Civil War (ToT)---Brian Mason (Techumseh)
      Red Front-------------------Michael Nielson (Captain Nemo)
      Spartacus-------------------Alex Mor (Alex the Magnificent)
      Raging Dragon-------------Nick Dowling (Case)
      Dictator Series-------------Ciaran Slavin (Curtsibling)
      Age of the Crusades-----Phenix Benton (Exile)
      El Aurens (ToT)------------Dave Wiley (Boco)
      Operation Market Garden(ToT)------Brian Mason

The list spans more than 5 years and really ought to include something by Harlan Thompson, who is the godfather of civ2 scenario creation. I tend to prefer historical scenarios where the author has managed to recreate a feel for the period, so I'm sure I've missed the best fantasy and sci-fi stuff; for the latter you should try something by Kobayashi.

You can probably pick them all up either at the Spanish site or at CivFan:

Welcome to the Civ2 downloads collection! The Civilization 2 downloads section contains the great work produced by modders from all other the planet. If you are looking for a Roman conquest scenario or a Lord-of-the-Rings scenario, then you are right here. Please be aware that there are two different versions of Civ2, and the scenarios

The exceptions are Techumseh's Test of Time scenarios, available at his own site:

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

...and Boco's El Aurens for ToT available on the old, dead forum pages and my HD
      Last edited by fairline; June 5, 2005, 03:11.
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

My top five would be:

1) Vikings - Harlan Thompson

2) El Aurens - Dave Wiley (Boco)

3) Colonies [any version] - John Ellis (Patient English)

4) Second Front - Captain Nemo

5) The Cruel Sea v2 - Nick Dowling (Case)

Yes, my choice of #5 is blowing my own trumpet. But, dammit, I really like that scenario and had a lot of fun making it and playtesting it. If you can't stand such rampant egotism then substitute it for Harlan Thompson's WW2 in Europe scenario or Imperialism 1870 by Phenix Benton (Exile)
        Last edited by Case; June 5, 2005, 07:57.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Well, if you want to mention something of Harlan's, what about his LotR scenario? I don't know how FF's was by comparison, but Harlan's was very faithful to the books. As for other sci-fi and fantasy, I haven't done a lot of looking around but I enjoyed Kobayashi's ST:BAQ scenario. I never gave Underdark a chance but I'm told it's great.

Blasted Windows ME not letting me play Civ2 grumble grumble...anyway, I've heard a lot about Red Front. What was so innovative and incredible about it?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Curt's name is Ciaran Slavin?
            -rmsharpe

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Blasted Windows ME not letting me play Civ2 grumble grumble...anyway, I've heard a lot about Red Front. What was so innovative and incredible about it?
              why don't you go back to windows 98 then? '98 can do all the things that ME (also known as many errors,) can do
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

Have you tried changing the compatibility mode for Civ2?
                STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

"BK: La Belle Epoque" by Eivind IV is exellent,

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe
                    Curt's name is Ciaran Slavin?
                    Damn, now the CIA are going to hunt me again!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Changing OSes is not an option, sadly. How do you change Civ2's compatibility mode?
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Right-click civ2.exe -> properties -> compatibility -> run this program in compatibility mode for:
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I'm not sure about my favourites. There're just too many.

Most played though, second only to a (modified) version of the "Alien' scenario out of CiC in 1997, would be Koby's ST: Dominion War.
                          I just can't stop replaying that one.

Comment

Current fav= Operation Market Garden

All time favs include: Imperium Romana, anything by Carl Fritz (Battle for Algiers is missing from fairline's list), Raging Dragon, Riverwar is a must, Crises of the New World Order by Andrew Livings, The Dictator series is good but the newest ones are the best, and the Great Napoleanic Battles by winter.

Some editing may be in order in the future.

I forgot 2194 days of war by Nemo, and Afrika Korps + Up the Deadly Boot both by John Petroski.
                            Last edited by Jimmywax; June 6, 2005, 22:45.
                            "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
                            "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                              Changing OSes is not an option, sadly. How do you change Civ2's compatibility mode?
                              what errors do you get when you try to run it?

Comment

Working...
                              X