Japanese Quick-Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Quick-Rush

Bridger, one of the regular online Preview Beta players who posts at RoN Heaven, recently discovered what Paul Stephanouk (“gamegeek”) calls the Japanese Quick-Rush – by being on its receiving end. Playing with standard rules and settings, an opponent threw all his effort into building a tiny military force right at the beginning of the Ancient Age and decided the game in about three minutes. Bridger had not even begun to think about building any kind of defense. The event has stimulated quite a discussion at RoN Heaven.

I don’t have much online experience, but I’ve never encountered such a rush with live or computer opponents. It proves a rush is possible on standard settings against an opponent without any defenses. Regarding this type of rush Paul Stephanouk comments, “Even a single archer can turn the tide and two can stop it cold.” Additionally, such a rush is extremely risky; sacrificing one’s early economic and scientific development for military can spell disaster if the rush is unsuccessful.

Nevertheless, this again raises the issue of online game standards. RoN certainly doesn’t have to be played that fashion. Adjustable settings exist to eliminate any possibility of an early attack. Many gamers – Bridger included – are simply not interested in a game that’s decided in five minutes or less. Once RoN is out those of us who are interested in longer, more involved games may need to do some experimenting.

Question for BHG: In your in-house games, has a set of standards evolved for no-rush games and/or intentionally longer games? If so, what are those standards and settings?
    Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

My experience with RTS games is that you don't win by playing defensively.

Also, people will always be pushing the envelope by trying to attack as quickly as possible.

Comment

Last RTS i played a lot online was AoK where a "rush" ment 10 minutes, i was NOT expecting one at 3 minutes, lol!
      "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
      - UberKruX

Comment

Even in AOM most rushes only happen around 4-6 minutes (unless it's the cheesy and risky Set Animal + villager rushing tactic).

However, since RoN has the option to set a no-attacking period at the start of the game peopl who want to play a slow building style can do so at their leisure.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

To answer Rohag's question, the most typical setting for people who like to play "No Rush" games has been No-rushing-until-Gunpowder, which is why we made that the default no-rush game (that is, one of the settings for the "Game Rules" combo, rather than requiring you to manually set Custom and then pick a no rush setting).

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Reynolds
            To answer Rohag's question, the most typical setting for people who like to play "No Rush" games has been No-rushing-until-Gunpowder, which is why we made that the default no-rush game (that is, one of the settings for the "Game Rules" combo, rather than requiring you to manually set Custom and then pick a no rush setting).

Brian
            Thank-you. Sometime I'm going to have to experiment to see how long I can make a game last.
            Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Thanks Brian,

But I am more interested in how the game makes this type of rush less ideal such as if you try it, you are sacrificing your economy for a while in the game. This would force a player to seriously consider making this type of rush. How painful is it if this rush fails? (Having no chance to play the beta I am unsure).

Also, one reason that AoM rushes are later (around the ten minute mark) is that a barracks is unavailable until the second age. This allows players to at least have some buildings up and some economy before the warfare starts. Personally I do not like to rush early because it hurts my economy too much but I do have to make sure to have a defense ready.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Another fun setup we've been enjoying of late is a FFA with the map set to "reveal all" and elim set to "sudden death"...

Comment

Another fun setup we've been enjoying of late is a FFA with the map set to "reveal all" and elim set to "sudden death"...

Sounds quite special. I would've never thought of that, since I never played anyhting "reveal all" in RTS, but this sounds like some very intense action to me.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

How painful is it if this rush fails?
                    It hurts a lot, since your econ is based on one city.

On the other hand, if you succeed in taking his second city you will instantly be ahead economically due to the plunder received.

This is the easiest and surest way to win in Beta2, in the demo it's a bit harder because the maps are bigger. It just takes too long to walk all the way across the map with your 4 to 6 infantry.

Comment

Working...
                    X