• Show
Clear All

how did i miss that

guess i shouldnt rush so much

Comment

ok, thats better
      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Today's New York Times ("free registration required") carries an article by technology reporter Peter Wayner in which he quotes both Brian Reynolds and Tim Train on cheating in online games.

The biggest worry of its [Rise of Nations'] designer, Tim Train, is not so much tricks that let players triple their bankroll with a single click, as ones that reveal hidden information or parts of a map.

"We use a simultaneous simulation on each player's machine," he explained. "If your wealth is suddenly increased by 100 times, the other computers notice it and quit."
        Thanks to Rise of Morning Calm who posted the link to the article at RoN Center.
        Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

huh? i dont understand what he's talking about

Comment

i think it means that the state of the world so to speak is calculated by player moves by all computers. so each one knows what the other player has in resources, so if someone cheats and has an extraordinary resource increase, cause of a trainer. The other computers will basically vote him out. Ie) I everyone's got a watch showing the same time, if one suddenly shows a few hours ahead we know that the watch ahead is wrong and is cheating.
            Are you down with ODV?

Comment

oh, so its just an anit-cheating?
              the problem w/ cheating is to try to make people to never do it in the first place so they dont waste everyone's time though

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
                oh, so its just an anit-cheating?
                the problem w/ cheating is to try to make people to never do it in the first place so they dont waste everyone's time though
                But isnt the way to keep people from cheating to make it so that it doesn't help you, in fact, your punished for it? That is what they are trying to do. They came up with different ways to defeat current cheaters and to knock them out of the game.
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

yeah, that's one of one way to do it in an imperfect socialty, too bad though

Comment

Working...
                  X