BHG IMPORTANT: 1 minute crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHG IMPORTANT: 1 minute crash

I remember a similar thing happening (the green lines) in another game. IIRC, it turned out to be a problem with the wallpaper I was using. When I used the default background, the problem disappeared.

I'd hardly say this is related to wallpapers... seems to be a problem with your graphics card. Maybe it is due to the beta bugs.

Does this only happen when you play RoN or does it happen with other games too?
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Alexnm,

I agree that wallpapers seem unlikely, even far-fetched, but I've seen stranger causes and effects when running under MS windows. It was quite awhile ago when this happened to me, but his symptoms sounded very familiar, green stripes followed by a freeze.

After thinking it over some more, I believe that the game always worked okay the first time after a boot. It was additonal launches without an intervening reboot that produced the green stripes. It also might have just been the background color used at the time, and not wallpaper. All I know for sure is that when I reset all the screen parameters to the defaults, I was able to restart that game okay each time without reboots.

Ask Bill Gates why.

Comment

Aha! I knew it had something to do with the gfx card. But they will probably solve this problem before the game is released (optimizing code, checking out that it runs flawlessly in a number of different systems etc.).
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
          More advertising is needed of RoN! I'm concerned that the game will be a flop because no-one knows about it.
          I would not worry about it. With MS's marketing machine there will not be a problem with people knowing about it. When the game is ready to come out - people will know about it. Past games (SMAC and Gettysburg) did well despite smaller niche markets. Believe me people will know about RoN.

Correcting the numerous bugs in the game code.

I am sure they will be working about it.

Make launching a nuke more important. Not being able to go into the market....I've neverr really done that at all.
          Make everyone except allies declare war, your economy slows to a halt (because if the US were to ever do that.......)......Also make te nukes more expensive. I was able to build 5 of them in my game. Waaay too many.

Two things that I would respond to. First, everyone but allies declaring war. If the US launched a nuke tomorrow at Iraq - there would be outcrys and the UN would say something but there would be no international war. There would be a lot of diplomatic problems and trade things. Maybe a lot of other things but the US would not face war immediately. I am against adding this into RoN. I do not want to have to get involved in a war because two other nations are firing nukes at each other. I probably would want to so that I would not face the game ending in a draw based on too many being launched but I do not want to be forced to have war. So I am against that idea.

Second, about expense, keep them relatively cheap. Nuclear weapons are not that expensive. For bank vs. buck they are the cheapest weapon in the American arsenal. That is the reason that the US built such a massive nuclear force during the Cold War - they were downright cheap. In a game where there are not always many other costs (i.e. environmental, diplomatic, real lives, etc.) cost can be higher in terms of money due to balance these other costs. But in the end, nukes are not that expensive that they should not have the chance to build a lot of them.

In terms of all the bugs, there is a seperate forum and thread here on Apolyton dedicated to the bugs. There are others that will try to get the same bug to happen so that they can make suggestions to BHG. Take a look at it.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
          X