Comparing Rise of Nations' civs to Civ 3's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Rise of Nations' civs to Civ 3's

- argh Apolyton's formatting has ruined my post. So I will have to attach my comparison chart as a notepad file. See my next post please.

RON has made a few interesting civ choices that include civs that aren't even included in PTW. Some of them I applaud (Inca, Maya), others I find highly questionable (Bantu, Nubians). However, I find that Civ 3+PTW, or even just plain vanilla Civ 3 has the stronger civ roster. I have always maintained that Civ 3's original 16 was the ideal 16 civs that could have possibly included. RoN's initial lineup is missing quite a few notables (India, Persia, Babylon, a north american native civ, just to name a few but India is especially unforgiveable). Hopefully these omissions will be addressed in the XP.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Chart comparing Civ's Civs and RON's
    Attached Files

Comment

wo gives a sh*t about civ3, the game s*cked

Comment

I do, for one. It's my current favorite game. I know that Monkspider (the thread starter) does.

I don't think you have to hate Civ3 to like RoN.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
          I do, for one. It's my current favorite game. I know that Monkspider (the thread starter) does.

I don't think you have to hate Civ3 to like RoN.
          Well Stated Warp.
          For the record, it's probably my favorite game too. It has been receiving some tough competition from EU II and HOI though.

Comment

Which civs are included is about as important to me as the color of the box they ship it in. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus
              Which civs are included is about as important to me as the color of the box they ship it in. Just thought I'd throw that in.
              That's cool Lotus, on the other hand some of us here are history buffs and obsess over this sort of thing.

Comment

Civ3+PTW		Rise of Nations

Aztecs Aztecs
                China China
                Greeks Greeks
                Germans Germans
                France France
                Japan Japan
                Korea Korea
                England England
                Egyptians Egyptians
                Romans Romans
                Russia Russia
                Spain Spain
                Mongols Mongols
                Ottomans Turks
                ----------------------------------
                Arabs
                Maya
                Celts
                Inca
                Babylonians
                Persia
                Bantu
                Nubians
                Carthage
                India
                Zulus
                Iroqouis
                America
                Vikings
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Thanks, Markos, the txt file was all messed up when I opened it.

And Civ3 vs. RoN... apples and oranges here. I like Civ3, but even if I didn't I wouldn't consider RoN to be the game to end all games. Well, I still have to play it, so it could be it.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
                    wo gives a sh*t about civ3, the game s*cked
                    Normally, I wouldn't feel it necessary to quote something like this, since it is enough to say it once per thread. But Civ3 was just THAT BAD, that I feel the need to reiterate through quotation.

As far as the lineup, it looks good to me. Perhaps a little lacking in some of the more looked for civs (Japanese). But hey, you got to leave something for an XP.

Comment

double post
                      Seemingly Benign

Comment

Then it's a shame that RoN is being designed by some of the same people.
                        Seemingly Benign

Comment

I think they're pretty much evenly matched. RoN really only misses India and maybe Babylon, but at least they got Africa right (which had a much richer history than most people realize, and I still maintain that the Zulu are NOT a civ). I think 3 pre-Columbian American civs more than compensate for the lack of Sioux/Iroquois, though I agree some North American civ would have been nice.

Other than that I don't think the comparison with PTW is entirely fair, we should compare it with vanilla Civ3. IMHO we can only compare with PTW after the first X-pack for RoN comes out. With <30 civs, more is under almost any circumstance better (and with unique civs ike Civ3 and RoN, any game with X-pack bound to have more civs than any game without one).

If you look at it that way (comparing it to vanilla Civ3), I think substituting the Indians, Babylonians and Persians for the Spanish, Mongols and Maya is not a very bad decision. I'm sure India and Babylon will be in a future RoN X-pack too (after which we can make a comparison which does both games full justice )...
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

That's a good point Locutus. Civ3 only came with 16 civilizations, the other 8 were added later.
                            Seemingly Benign

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                              Then it's a shame that RoN is being designed by some of the same people.
                              I'm pretty sure that the RoN teamed left Firaxis well before most of the Civ 3 stuff was complete. I would find it hard to believe that the RoN team had much of an impact on Civ III.

As for the civs, would like to see the Arabs and Indians in the game. They are more important in terms of civilization (early) than anything out of Europe. Yes the Germans, French, and English are all important in the last three hundred years but before then they were wastelands compared to the Indian and Arab civilizations.
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X