Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta Contest and Piracy

there is always that possibility
    although if they expect to play multiplayer they will eventually need a patch or something and that will disable any crack. plus the game is copy protected and requires the cd to play so it wont be easy to crack.
    Are you down with ODV?

it's possible but it will lack many things from the final one and does have bugs after all....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

They will have all the winners' addresses...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

And since there are only a thousand of them, they could easily 'fingerprint' them to know who leaked it. Nearly all of the betas I've been involved in used 'fingerprinted' versions so that they could prosecute the beta tester who leaked it.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

they could easily 'fingerprint' them to know who leaked it.
          as an indication, beta #2 has a registration code(unlike beta #1 if i recall correctly)....

Comment

I had read conspiracy instead of piracy. My bad.
            Last edited by tniem; February 17, 2003, 17:21.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              it's possible but it will lack many things from the final one and does have bugs after all....
              Yes, this is typical for open betas. Expect limited ages, and some disabled features.

Comment

all ages are included....

from the readme
                Things not available in this Beta but will be in the final product:
                · Scenario Editor
                · Script Editor
                · Load a scenario
                · Recorded Game Playback

and of course 8 more civs, or the currently known issues with video/audio cards

Comment

there isnt a note about it in the known issues part of the readme ....

Comment

how big is the disk for the beta anyway? 700meg? 200meg?

Comment

I had AoE2 (AoK) beta pirate version I remember... Well, it lacked so many things from final and it was bug-full. I later bought original final version...

Comment

HuangShang, Most of CDs are 600-700MB, there are also those "small CDs", but I doubt they would install beta in one of these...

Comment

That is the size of the CD but that does not mean its filled.
                          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think I read somewhere around here (or maybe at RoNC, or heaven or something) that the size of the CD was about 360 - 400 MB, though I am not totally sure...
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

I thought RoN would come in more than one CD, like most of current "modern" RTS games...

Comment

Working...
                              X