"Conquer the World" aspect sounds great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Conquer the World" aspect sounds great

I went here for some info on the much heretofor unknown "Conquer the World" part of RON.

Some amazing information for those that long for a TBS game but still want the speed of a RTS. I'm not sure how it will work in a MP environment, so I'm looking forward to those details.

That being said; it looks/sounds quite amazing to me. The scenarios created in each "CtW" game is randomly generated so as to add maximum replayability to this already fascinating games' list of pluses!

The person reporting on this part of RON hasn't had it for too long as does not go very far into much of it, he just covers some of the very basic stuff. Nessage to him: Go play some more and then let us know!

Can't wait for the beta signups. What can help as far as helping geting yourself picked for a thing like this? I know it says it's a random drawing, but won't/shouldn't they ask questions about an applicants computer specifics? Like what kind graphics card or CPU type and/or speed? If it really is a random drawing maybe they will get a large enough sample (from 1000) to get most types of hardware included for the bug removal sessions that will follow.

Good luck to those that are going to sign up; if you make it and I don't, I spit on you! (LOL)

someone please post what it says, im too lazy to go to that site

BTW, isnt it french?

Comment

Ok, here's what I've been able to copy and paste for you lazy bones!

Conquer The World (English)
      [Publié par Nox]

Translated by Rohag

“Conquer the World” (CTW) has been one of the great mysteries of Rise of Nations. Big Huge Games and Microsoft have been closely keeping the secret of the game’s single-player campaign. We’ve had to wait for the new press beta to experience this famous campaign.
      CTW’s principle is simple. The campaign is divided into two phases: one turn-based phase, which is played on a beautiful Risk-style map, where you move armies from territory to territory, improve territories, buy bonus cards and engage in diplomacy… This phase is followed by a real-time, randomly-generated scenario where you invade or plan to conquer a territory.

The details:

The first turn

After choosing your nation, the world map appears centered on the territory logically corresponding to your selection. This is your capital and if it is taken you are automatically eliminated. All other
      territories – except those serving as the capitals of the other 17 nations – are unoccupied.
      You can see a horseman in your territory, which represents an army. On the first turn your best move is to invade an unoccupied territory or the capital of a neighbor (as in the case of the Aztecs and Maya, for example). Select the army and then the destination territory. Then a click on “Start” launches the real-time mode.

Let's fight!

While the scenario generates, you view your national bonuses and unique units as well as your bonus cards (more on that below). Once the scenario has finished generating, you review the scenario instructions and click on “Begin” to start the game. Note that these are randomly generated scenarios, so no two games will be alike.
      Among the types of possible scenarios are sieges – you are besieged and must hold on for a certain time, battles – each side commands a large army, or normal games – you must conquer an opposing capital before time runs out. Certainly there are other types of these randomly generated scenarios, but I have not yet seen them.

Once victorious (or vanquished), you return to the strategic map. There, in accordance with the outcome of the scenario, the new territory is yours or, if you were invaded successfully by an enemy, lost.

The next turn

During this time, the CPU players also take their actions (you can review these CPU actions on the “World Events” information tab) and a new turn begins.
      Gradually your possibilities increase or decrease in accordance with your position. Perhaps it would be best not to engage in any combat a turn so to accumulate some money. Your options grow: “Ought I to
      pass this turn in order to have enough money to improve one of my territories, or should I forge an alliance or declare a war?” These are your choices, depending on the situation.

Finally, keep in mind that each territory grants you certain bonuses: resources, reinforcements, a bonus card, etc.

Benefits of new conquests

Each new territory bestows benefits. For example, you can conquer a territory containing a rare resource. This has the effect of giving you the bonus of the resource when a real-time scenario is played out in
      this territory.

Territories are equally able to provide reinforcements, that is, their conquest gives you a new army. Concerning armies, one important thing to remember is you can place but one army in any territory. Having more armies is beneficial in its giving you more options. If you control many territories yet have but one or two armies, it will be difficult to effectively defend them, and, to invade and conquer an unoccupied territory far from the location of an available army, it will take a long time for that army to cross your empire.
      Bonus cards are another interesting item. A conquered territory can give you a bonus card. You can accumulate these cards and use them at the beginning of a scenario. Once used, a card is discarded. Each card grants you a specific bonus. Thus, the Mercenaries card permits you to start a randomly-generated scenario with extra military units. Or a Wonder of the World card permits you to construct a Wonder during a scenario. That Wonder’s effects apply for all your territories and you will therefore benefit in every scenario, even in those which do not take place in the territory where the Wonder has been constructed.

Finally, each newly conquered territory gives you a certain sum of money (called ‘tribute’ in the game).

For the moment that is all I can say about Conquer the World seeing that I have not yet played it much but, as I encounter new features, I will integrate them in this article.

End of copy and paste.

Comment

yeah, it does sound very amazing, and thanx bigfree1

Comment

Sounds somewhat similar (but more advanced) to the campaign mode in the current best RTS, Warlords Battlecry 2.
          Seemingly Benign
          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

current best RTS? that cant be right

Comment

ctw IS great

i can already see it now: a ctw-only strategy forum right here where you stand(and a little bit on the left)
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
                current best RTS? that cant be right
                Well, I don't consider RON to be current yet. Until I can get a copy from the store, it ain't current.

But, yes, current best if you like gameplay. If you like hype and glitzy 3d graphics I guess there is WC3 and AOM and Impossible Creatures all of which are worse games than WBC2 (I have them all). I'd recommend y'all get a copy from the bargain bin while you're waiting for RON to see brilliance of RTS design. The graphics are a generation behind, but the gameplay is rock-solid.

Having said that, I think RON will be better.
                Seemingly Benign

Comment

how are the reviews?

Comment

Of WBC2? It was voted one of the 5 best computer games of 2002 by Computer Games Magazine this month.

Their site has this collection of reviews. Most liked it.
                    Seemingly Benign

Comment

really, i should consider getting it then

Comment

Warlords Battlecry 2

Back on topic, the Conquer The World looks to be fun for single player. Can it be played as an extended MP game for people with no lives?
                        Seemingly Benign

Comment

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

sounds interesting, i will ask my questions in that other thread.
                            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

yeah people let this one die............

Comment

Working...
                              X