How big are the maps in RoN????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big are the maps in RoN????

Hello Guys - I'm getting very excited about what will hopefully be another Brian Reynolds triumph!

Can anyone tell me how big the maps are in RoN? Are they like tiny RTS maps or giant TBS civ maps with continents and stuff?

The map config should say a lot about whether this game is really going to be appealing to TBS players like myself or whether its really for the wham-bam-thank-you-Brian RTS crowd.

I'm not buying a clickfest on a cheesy little map like Age of Empires. Never again - the damn game gave me RSI.

Thanks

P.S.

Hey Brian, if you see this come down and visit your fans some time on the civ2 Multiplayer forum.

We haven't forgotten you man
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

It's sort of apples to oranges since the scales are different? The maps in RON provide room for each nation to have several cities each, usually with plenty of room left over for nice big battles. I'd like to say that RON's maps are "big" (they certainly feel that way) but I'm not sure what sort of measurement to give you.

Comment

the conquer the world campaign map i guess would qualify as on the scale of Civ games. But in most RTS maps, I guess to make it reasonable (especially for memory considerations) the maps in the other modes will be more like AOK, but as with anything, as its developed now the memory on most machines are bigger so the Real Time maps will be comparatively bigger too. But its not going to be like one big continuous world map like civ where u can play a whole day and not get to the farthest reaches of the map
      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Originally posted by bhg_paul
        It's sort of apples to oranges since the scales are different? The maps in RON provide room for each nation to have several cities each, usually with plenty of room left over for nice big battles. I'd like to say that RON's maps are "big" (they certainly feel that way) but I'm not sure what sort of measurement to give you.
        Thanks Paul, that's kind of answered my question. The hard core civ 2 multiplayers have pretty much all moved back to smaller maps for playability reasons - 10 cities is workable. 40x50 diamonds/hexes is common.

I think you'd probably need 5 cities in this new format to have a "civ" worthy of the name. We'd only be playing 2 - 4 civs most of the time which will open the map up if its smallish.

Exploring is still a huge buzz so I just there's still room for a period of discovery.

Will we need cable to have a worthwhile MP experience?
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

If 5 cities is your measure then I think you'll be very happy. Most land maps allow for 6-7 cities per player without having to resort to conquest of another player's territory. Your milage will vary by how many trees/mountains are on the map and how much water there is.

Comment

AH, If you look at some of the recent RoN screenshots at gamespot it shows the overall map size. It looks comparable to a small map in civ terms with 5 -7 cities per civ.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to link this thread to the civ2MP forum and see if the other guys have any questions.

Comment

how many options for map sizes?

Comment

Working...
                X