Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ages better be long enough to fight an effective war.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ages better be long enough to fight an effective war.

A full game lasts roughly an hour. There are 8 ages, right? I've read that it only takes 3-5 mins to enter the second age. My advanced knowledge of arithmetic tells me that the other ages will last about 8 mins or so. I hope that each age allows for viable military action. That is to say when you enter a certian age, that you have time to upgrade, train, and mobilize a fighting force before the units become obselete. In many, many strategy games, certain units do not justify use because the next best thing is right around the corner, and the cost of production is not justified. In RoN, moving through so much technology in a seemingly small time frame has me worried. I'm sure the designers are well aware, but but I'm reminding them anyway.

I just remembered that units upgrade automatically as you increase you tech. But do they need to return to a base/fort to do so? If not, then I guess this is a moot point. But surely you won't have your cavalry morphing into a T-1 tank while it sits on someone's doorstep. That would be a bad thing.

Oh, and all you die-hard maniacal TBS'ers, don't be skeered of RoN!

PS-HalfLotus is back! Representing the Dirty South. I was around here for the end of Civ2 and the beginning of Civ3(cringe). I mostly play Warcraft 3 now. So sue me. *cues welcome back kotter theme*
    Last edited by HalfLotus; December 21, 2002, 15:59.

u can always set the ages to the ones u like. having played the beta, i would say the early ages does go by a bit fast, but that depends on if u are ramping or rushing really i think.
    Are you down with ODV?

Comment

i'd like to have the option of having fast epoching time or slow
      slow (or none) helps a game end w/ more drama
      fast epoching are what people boom off of

Comment

All those options are great for SP, but I'm talking about the multiplayer games. Whatever convention is used for a standard, or ladder type game should allow for each age to play a equal role. That begs the question: What will be the default option settings for an official ladder game?

Comment

Related Question

While we're asking questions...

Turbo Resources & High Tech Costs: RoN offers many options to speed or slow various aspects of the game. Some gamers would like to have big battles in the earlier ages without limiting the game to those ages. Could combining "turbo resources" with "high tech/aging costs" achieve that effect, or would that combination simply widen the gap between those investing in a military vs. those investing in rapid aging without contributing to early confrontations? Has anyone tried this in-house at BHG or with the Marketing Beta?
          Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

HalfLotus, i was talking about mp...

Comment

Working...
            X