Ugly graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly graphics

Actually, all the graphics look excellent, except for one thing: the modern infantry. I can't stand the way these guys look. I think the problem is that they all seem to be wearing camoflage uniforms, and then bright blue/green/red vests that look like life jackets. I think these guys would look much better if they had their uniforms all one color, or even just a colored mark on them to denote the side they're on. Even a colored helmet would look better than those godawful vests.

Everything else I've seen looks fantastic, however. Please change the infantry, though- they look like they're about to go overboard.
    ----
    "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

So you don't like an ugly graphic . I, too, find most of the graphics to be exemplary. But the modern infantry does sound a bit strange.

Comment

All too true. If my only complaint is about a singular thing, things can't be too bad
      ----

Comment

I think modern units are difficult in games since you have to denote what side they are on, but in modern warfare that is not something that you normally do. Usually, troops are in camaflauge or something that is not country specific. So it is always tough to balance historical facts and gaming elements. I think they have done a remarkable job of balancing these things.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

No, without a doubt, I think the graphics look remarkable, especially the way that different sides have different-looking units for the same type of unit.

That said, I just don't like the brightly colored vests on modern infantry. Maybe an arm or leg band would be better. This is a comlpetely aesthetic choice - I think they look worse than they could. I like playing the German campaign in EE because they have german soldiers that look like Wermacht soldiers. There's enough variety in modern military uniforms to differentiate between units without having to resort to those awful colored vests
          ----

Comment

Keep an eye on the BHG site for a screenshot update, featuring the new vestless infantry.
            www.bighugegames.com

Comment

Hi Mahdimael, Carver and tniem,

While Graham is gathering a new round of screenshots for the www.riseofnations.com gallery update, our unit team has put together a sneak peak of our modern infantry variations...

I should mention that the Russian Red Guard with the puff of smoke obscuring his face is a result of one of our cigarette smoking idle animations. Be sure to keep an eye out for the gallery update, we're confident you'll find a number of new units, tank variations specifically, that will be to your liking!

Rise on!

Dave

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              Dave Inscore
              VP Graphics
              Big Huge Games
              Make great games. Have a great place to come to work everyday. Big Huge Games is dedicated to "Finding The Fun" through rapid prototyping and a focus on a great user experience.

Join the over 2 million Rise of Nations fans. Master 6,000 years of history, from the Ancient Age to the Information Age. What forces will you wield to lead your nation to global prominence? Trade, espionage, diplomacy…war? Whichever path you choose, you’ll discover the pulse-pounding thrill and speed of real-time strategy gaming combined with the epic scope and depth of turn-based strategy games – brought together for the first time ever in Rise of Nations.
              Last edited by Big Huge Dave; October 18, 2002, 15:58.

Comment

how do i find these images? i know they are on BHG.com, but they are not in the gallery.
                "I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass'" - Pekka
                Proud Member of http://www.axisofjustice.org
                Peace, Love, and =waffles=

Comment

You can only find this particular image here. There are some new infantry graphics in the latest IGN showcase though: http://pc.ign.com/articles/374/374161p1.html
                  www.bighugegames.com

Comment

I bow to the masters. The new units look fantastic! Best of all, no vests! Germans look great.
                    ----

Comment

very cool!

hey how come there are less european men than other continents?
                      be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                        hey how come there are less european men than other continents?
                        We killed them.

j/k

Comment

Seriously though, the units look awesome. Much better than "the other game".

Comment

hey Dave, good to see you again

btw, you're a DL
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The art still looks good and promising. Can't wait to get a taste of the action.
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X