I'd suggest the following civs to use (changes from original are noted):

British
    French
    Spanish
    German
    Russian
    Roman
    Greek
    Turk (I'd suggest Arab instead because they conquered and did much more than Turks and Ottoman Empire)
    Mongol
    Chinese
    Korean (I'd suggest Indian instead)
    Japanese
    Egyptian
    Nubian (I'd suggest Persian instead)
    Bantu (I'd suggest Vikings instead)
    Aztec
    Mayan (I'd suggest Messopotamian instead, because this culture did much more good to the world)
    Incan

Why not just add those new civs, also babylonia would be good too. Can't forget bout Macedonia can't have greek without em, or you could make a Sparta civ yes they are greek but they were always waring with other greek states expecially Athens.
    Hail Caesar!

Comment

well they werent significantly different from the overall greek civilization, they had similar if not identical architecture, and unique units was pretty much the same type of troops.
      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Sparta was a land civ they had strong foot troops like phalanxes and other infantry, their kids grew up learning how to fight by the age of 8 or 10, and athens was more sea the land they couldn't fight sparta on land so they fought them on the sea, athens destroyed most of sparta trade and fishing and islands it had, this all happen in the pellopenision war, yes sparta and athens not as different from other greek states but they were different in their own way.

Also Macedonian was different from greeks, they had different architecture, macedonians were high up in the hills above greece, they lived like the germans but being that they had contact with greeks they became more civilized, macedoinian lacked philosophers, they were not as talented as the greeks, they only conquered greece because they attacked when greece had become weak fighting sparta. Im not saying Macedonians were a barbarian state, they fought like the spartans too they shared the same type of infantry, yes macedonians were greek. But AGE of EMPIRES put em in their game.
        Last edited by Praetorian; August 1, 2002, 13:54.
        Hail Caesar!

Comment

oh i know all that history...i think they deserve to be in the game eventually, but not the basic game. maybe an expansion. althought some of those difference you mention I was thinking could be modelled by different research paths as opposed to having different civs which requires new unit graphics and civ advantages. comparatively the differences between the various hellenistic civs is less then say their difference with some African or Asian civ.

Also with India (from the other thread), if they have an expansion, they likely will have them in that. They could share some art work with a Persian civ, if they put them in for an expansion.
          Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Originally posted by Praetorian
            Why not just add those new civs, also babylonia would be good too. Can't forget bout Macedonia can't have greek without em, or you could make a Sparta civ yes they are greek but they were always waring with other greek states expecially Athens.
            Because each civ has to be balanced to each other with the Unique units they have and the advantages they get. If they were just all generic with different names than just add them. But when gameplay is effected by each civ, then the less civs - the better chance the game is going to be balanced.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Re: Suggested civs

Originally posted by Sonic
              Nubian (I'd suggest Persian instead)
              Bantu (I'd suggest Vikings instead)
              Aztec
              Mayan (I'd suggest Messopotamian instead, because this culture did much more good to the world)
              Incan
              I would have to believe the reason that BHG made there choices was to make sure the game had representations from Africa and the Americas. Remember that the game is supposed to be rewriting history - not replaying our history. So by giving races from all parts of the globe, they each at the dawn of history have a chance to rise to the top. To become the dominant superpower for a time - even if they did not do that in our history.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Right well I thibk they should have either the Mayan or Aztec but not both, and have one from North America instead like Iroquois.
                Are you down with ODV?

Comment

I really wish they put persians in the game. Or at least Parthians, tell me what games have had parthians in em, they mostly a half persian half greek civ with excelent archers.
                  Hail Caesar!

Comment

I would like Nubians and Bantu would be black, with them being white like all the others everything seems to be too unrealistic...

Comment

Originally posted by One_Dead_Villy
                      Right well I thibk they should have either the Mayan or Aztec but not both, and have one from North America instead like Iroquois.
                      But the Mayans and the Aztecs are very distinct cultures that are going to add a lot to gameplay in how different they really are. The Aztecs were one of the strongest military empires (a lot like the Spartans in the total war approach). Meanwhile the Mayans were one of the most advanced tribes in the Americas. Their Pyramids are some of the tallest in the world. It is great that both are in the game. Meanwhile, the Iroquis were never as advanced as either of these two civs that are in the game. And they came later in history.

I am happy with the distribution of tribes for the most part. Three in the Americas and Africa, four in Asia. The one thing that I would like to see that has been said before is for some type of Mesopotamia empire. Either the Assyrians, Babylonians, or Sumerians would be great. I think they could take away either the Turks or one of the seven tribes from Europe. Got to believe that if they need one more war tribe they could use the Assyrians, if they need peace they could have the Sumerians and it would all work out. Where one less European tribe is called for as is adding one in the Middle East.

Comment

Also Iroguis were stone age even below stone age, so thats a logical idea on why its not in the game. RON could make this game realllly good if they add one of those civs tniem mention or Persians, lots of people will like those civs in the game.
                        Hail Caesar!

Comment

the point isnt who was most advanced. its about geographic distribution so that we get civs from all around the world, else whats the reason for picking the Nubians and Bantu over Carthage for example, since they have Rome, They have civs add for historical importance but a game such as RON is mostly hypothetical and what if's anyways.
                          Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Working...
                          X