Why is BHG doing so well in their game development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BR wanted to do Civ3 as an RTS
    i highly doubt Brian would want to make an rts called "civilization 3"...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Could somebody with a less simple mind than mine explain what GP is implying?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Maybe the guys who left just wanted to set up their own company and be their own bosses. It's happened before.

Comment

I'm just implying that there might be valuable lessons to learn in looking at why RON is ahead of schedule. Mark is getting defensive at the implied slight of Firaxis and QS. But I think its better not to be defensive, rather to look at these types of situations and see what one can learn...

Comment

i'm not defending anyone. i'm simply trying to find logical answers to the questions instead of taking the easy path and imply incompetence

Comment

"I'm just implying that there might be valuable lessons to learn in looking at why RON is ahead of schedule."

It appears that you're implying something a little more personal. Care to elaborate?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why are they so successful? Time, money, and talent. They have the luxury of time; they aren't trying to rush it out on a too tight, arbitrary schedule. They have the luxury of money, they had enough funds to keep their company going for quite a few months before lining up a deal with Microsoft. Microsoft does have deep pockets and will give a sure fire hit product the time it needs to be polished. Time and Money. As for talent, we are talking about the people who made Civ2 and SMAC.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

You have one entity that is successful in a fahsione serveral others are not. One possibility is incompotence, sure. Another is different levels of compotence. Another is different business practicses or organization/design control which others would do well to learn from...

Comment

BHG hasn't done anything yet. Period.

Comment

Yeh, I think it's hard to start writing the business case just yet, don't you think GP? Firaxis has a couple of solid doubles under its belt (Gettysburg & SimGolf). Others liked SMAC and it sold well. And Civ 3 isn't a bad game, although it really isn't fun for me (yet). They were merciful in killing Dinos when it wasn't showing enough promise. The only real failure I can remember is Antietam--do they even make those games anymore?

Overall, Firaxis is a resilient company that is making good games and lots of people good cash money.

With RON, we might have a fun game, but maybe not.

Comment

The only real failure I can remember is Antietam--do they even make those games anymore?
                        actually, the made a collection of the two games, which according to jeff morris in the last chat has gone very well

Comment

Most of the work on Antietam was done by Breakaway Games, not Firaxis. If memory serves, one of the leads on Antietam was Joe Balkoski, who now works for BHG. Antietam may not have sold all that well, but it was highly praised in the wargaming community and the magazines. That is one of the problems with doing a niche title.
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

When I bought Antietam it was fairly buggy and was only available on the web site (got a signed copy, no less). If Antietam was successful in its direct sales, I'm guessing that Firaxis would have turned into Microprose...

"the made a collection of the two games, which according to jeff morris in the last chat has gone very well"

If so, has Firaxis ever had a true dud? I can't think of one. GP?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                              BHG hasn't done anything yet. Period.
                              Good point. I am agreeably trying to look a little forward...and am reading things into a single data point. Since we don't get much official scoop from the gaming companies alot of our development discussions are hypothesis-rich and data-poor. Still fun to try to analyze this stuff and learn some lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                When I bought Antietam it was fairly buggy and was only available on the web site (got a signed copy, no less). If Antietam was successful in its direct sales, I'm guessing that Firaxis would have turned into Microprose...

"the made a collection of the two games, which according to jeff morris in the last chat has gone very well"

If so, has Firaxis ever had a true dud? I can't think of one. GP?
                                Firaxis has done ok...They've gotten stuff out of the door and seem to be maing money. I don't think they've had a true hit, though. And some birthing pains have been evident.

I've got a good feeling about RON. Firaxis probably should have let Brian make this game, in house.

I take the "did extremely well" with a shaker of salt. Firaxis has been rather political in terms of what they share with us. I sense that they would be hesitant to be frank about dissapointments. Regardless, I think Antietam was a more minor project.

Comment

Working...
                                X