Rise of Nations preview in PC Gamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Nations preview in PC Gamer

it's the one with the command and conquer generals on the cover.

I haven't looked at it yet, just thought you might like to know
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Anything new?
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
      Anything new?
      I don't know what would be "new", but I finally got around to reading it. here is a summary of sorts...

The previewers are very aware of Reynolds connection with Civilization and Alpha Centauri, and billed it as a "real time Civ 3". I don't really believe that, but there do seem to be some similarities to civ.

you will have to harvest resources, like in a standard rts, but building cities will be important, since you can only harvest resources within your area of influence, as defined by your cities.

It was also said that this can go by FAST. Reynolds is quoted as saying the history of man in 1 hour....

the rest was just fluff, as I recall.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
        but building cities will be important, since you can only harvest resources within your area of influence, as defined by your cities.
        Are we talking about the same type of building as all RTS? Simply select what to build from peons? Or will it be deeper than that with many things to take into account (i.e. happiness, health of your citizens, trade)? Basically, it is nice that cities are going to be more prominent, but are they going to be more strategic?

It was also said that this can go by FAST. Reynolds is quoted as saying the history of man in 1 hour....
        It is good that it will go fast, but does this mean clickfest? Does this mean each time period is glossed over? Or is there going to be important decisions to be made at every period?

I think these two points will decide whether this game will be worth buying or not.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

tniem-

I don't really know. these previews are generally to give you something to hunger for, not to tell you exactly how the game is played.

wait 'till it comes out and look in this forum again....

Comment

I don't really know. these previews are generally to give you something to hunger for, not to tell you exactly how the game is played.
            Oh I am very aware it is just to get you excited for the game, in a word hype. But it is something that I would like to know for this game. After all is this going to be the same old thing with the publicity being that BR, master strategist is making it with "features" that are simply that in name. Or is it going to be something new. That question will be the answer to whether this is something special or something to ignore after getting your RTS-fix with WarCraft III.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I It was also said that this can go by FAST. Reynolds is quoted as saying the history of man in 1 hour....

I'm not sure anything that is done in 1 hour should have the word 'strategy' in its description, except American football. Personally, I see an all-human Warcraft coming up with some new bells and whistles. If you can finish a game in 1 hour, there just can't be too much to it.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

I have opened SMAC PBEM turns and just looked at the board for an hour before making a move.

Well, maybe not an hour, but still. I understand there are like eight ages in RON. Thats like 7 minutes per age and 4 minutes for a bathroom break. I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                    I have opened SMAC PBEM turns and just looked at the board for an hour before making a move.

Well, maybe not an hour, but still. I understand there are like eight ages in RON. Thats like 7 minutes per age and 4 minutes for a bathroom break. I don't get it.
                    Most people do not have that much time to play a game a strategy. I know at my school with all that I have to deal with classes and a social life I sure don't. So the hope of a game like this is to give just enough strategy and just enough history to make it fun but short enough to allow many people to play.

Comment

I'm a bit perplexed about this, too. Everything about the game sounds great, except this one hour business. In the FAQ at BHG they say:

Q: Can games last longer than an hour?

A: Certainly. They can also be over sooner. We've balanced our "standard game" around a one hour experience, however Rise of Nations has a wide range of game settings and can be adjusted to whatever play style you prefer.
                      I guess it all depends on how 'wide' a range they're talking about.

Comment

I don't have a social life. I'm married.

Personally, if I were Brian I would be embaressed to leave Firaxis, start a new company, take two years and end up with nothing more than a game that takes an hour to play.

It better be the greatest hour in gaming history.

Comment

Personally, if I were Brian I would be embaressed to leave Firaxis, start a new company, take two years and end up with nothing more than a game that takes an hour to play.

It better be the greatest hour in gaming history.
                          Yes, it better be. But I have my doubts, just like anyone here. Maybe it is because we are TBS addicts, and cannot see the craftness and expertise in designing a game that spans the whole human history in an hour.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

An hour to play a single game. The actual campaign that will come with (like in all RTS) will most likely take far longer with quite a few mission failures along the way. Like, SMG! or StarCraft, I think the hour means a MP game between friends. If you are playing single player it will take longer or what he is saying it has the potential to be longer.

Comment

surely a typical RoN game should be as long as any other similar game. Did I say similar? We hope not , things so far show us a very promising project.
                              The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                              X